All Topics / Help Needed! / Selling Privately

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of jezzah234jezzah234
    Participant
    @jezzah234

To all those in the know

I am going to sell 2 identical townhouses (as a duplex) after they're strata titled. 

I'd like to sell them privately rather than through an agent (to save on selling costs).

In addition to general cosmetic improvements I intend to promote the properties by:

1) Placing an add on the Domain website with photos of the properties (internal and external)
      2) Contacting a printing business to produce brochures highlightng the features of my properties
      3) Have the brochures distributed by employing "catalogue distributors" in the surrounding area where the properties       are  located.   
      4) Make a "for sale" sign (yet to determine). 

I have a good idea from various agents how much the townhouses are worth. I feel that if I list them at the right price, promote the properties using the above methods and save on advertising costs I think I can sell the propeties at the right I want.
    I'd like to hear from others who've sold privately (particulalry those utilising the above methods) 
    who can advise as to whether it's worth my while to go down this path?? 

Regards   

Profile photo of SandraLSandraL
    @sandral

Hi Jezzah234,

we offer listings on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au at a very competitive price to landlords like yourself who don't want to go through a traditional agent.
    The brochures and a sign are definitely worth doing. If you have a good idea about the market for similar properties, then you shouldn't have any problems selling privately, and you will save a bundle of money.

Profile photo of jezzah234jezzah234
    Participant
    @jezzah234

Sandra

Thanks for your post.

I thought that realestate.com.au would be off limits because it mentions no private listings but it's good to know you can help me (the more exposure the better).   

Regards

Profile photo of IntrigueIntrigue
    @intrigue

Hi Jezza234,

Just be mindful that owner seller means discount to many buyers. The buyers will try to negotiate as they know you are saving on selling cost thus this is generally the first amount they take off what they are willing to pay for your homes (They wont consider the cost of your promotional items). They will also try to test your negotiating skills, typically agents have more experience with this and thus can keep the selling price higher. Also agents generally have a database of potential purchasers which can be handy to access.

I dont doubt you can sell the house yourself and save selling cost, just thinking it may be helpful to you to brush up on negotiating skills, perpare yourself for handling low offers etc. Consider ways in which you can match the exposure an agent can offer.. selling is often a bit of a numbers game.

Profile photo of jezzah234jezzah234
    Participant
    @jezzah234

I also think it would be wise to get a property valuation for one of the townhouses.  
    At least then I can handle the low offers.

Thanks for the comment.

Profile photo of JimmyJJimmyJ
    @jimmyj

Another company doing private sales is http://forsaleforlease.com.au.  They seem to be a very professional setup, although Landlordschoice looks cheaper.

Makes you wonder how the agent justifies taking between $20,000 and $30,000 in commission!  (oops… likely to upset a couple of agents with that comment).

Profile photo of SandraLSandraL
    @sandral

Jezzah,

no problem, that's what we're here for!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.