All Topics / Help Needed! / Home near television studio – health risks?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Ms_FluffyMs_Fluffy
    @ms_fluffy

Hi Everyone.

This is my 1st post so here goes. We're looking at a property close to (on the same street) as a television studio in Melbourne. Does anyone know, are there health risks, such as with living close to a power line, phone transmission etc?

I'm not sure if they transmit broadcasts from the station, or if it's just a recording studio. Any thoughts appreciated greatly.

Thanks, guys.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

There have certainly been films made about health problems eventuating from living near those gigantic powerlines.  I've heard people comment that there have been "a lot of people living near them and their power lines that have come down with a case of cancer".  I don't know the costs associated with having above-ground power compared to below-ground.  I don't know if the only reason they're putting them below-ground in new estates is aesthetics, and to reduce the annoyance of the powerlines falling down in storms. 

If you are sufficiently concerned about it, maybe listen to your gut.  You'd be pretty upset with yourself for having the concern, moving in anyway, and later on becoming ill.  You'd always wonder if there was a link.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

The television studio could be beaming the television shows up to Mt Dandenong as most of the Television is transmitted on the large television radio towers situated on Mt Dandenong.  They may be using a lower power radio link or land lines. Yes there is a tower located at the back of the studio buildings- A closer look at the tower reveals it has two microwave dishes. It is at the top of the tower and microwave signals are extremely directional and narrow beams so residual radio radiation at the back to the dish would be  low  The tower may also have a cellular mobile phone antennas about half way down the tower if my memory serves me correctly you may want to look at the tower and check. Being a metropolitan mobile base station the power output would be lower due to the high mobile phone traffic on the major arterial road, making the cell a smaller radio coverage area. From what I saw from Google maps the antenna (directional sector) is pointed towards the major arterial road to the East.This means the power output of the radio would be a lot lower as most of the mobile phones are 400 m  on the east side of the tower
    . The mobile phone antennas are directional and are referred to as sectored. So most of the busiest sectors would be pointed to the major arterial Road to the east. 

if it is the development I think you are referring to. The radio Tower is approximately 400 meters from the property development. The thing about radio is that every time you double the distance away from the antenna the radio signal is reduced by the square of this. So double the distance away and the signal is 1/4 the strength.
    So the amount of residual radio signal coming from the back of the mobile phone antennas where the development is situated from the mobile base station would be very low as all of the radio antennas are directional devices so the radio signals would be pointed and directed towards the major arterial Road in the east side for the mobile phone traffic and to Mount Dandenong (east direction) for the Television broadcasts. There are a couple of short antennas at the top of the tower that are most likely transmitting directional television shows to the main transmitter at Mt Dandenong at a low power level due to being directional . The Mobile antennas would be pointed at the mobile phone traffic along the east side arterial road and the mobile cell would be designed to cover a small area of coverage being on the major arterial road. 
    Also there are existing houses behind the tower to the south  that are a lot closer than 200 meters.

The antenna on Mt Dandenong has signs warning people of the radiation danger due to its high power transmission levels as it serves a very large distance and lots of Televisions hence the reason it is high up on Mt Dandenong.
    I suspect the Larger Microwave dish is most likely a microwave feed from Sydney.
    The smaller 20 giga hertz Directional Paso microwave dish may connect the mobile base station to another feeder mobile base station in a distant location or may be used by the Television Studio.

If you want to see a radio tower have a look at the Surrey Hills radio tower
    on Canterbury Road and Harding street and the houses are a lot closer to it !

If you are really concerned you could get an EMR survey done for the house site.
    see
    http://www.yshield.com.au/emr-survey-shielding-rf.html
    http://www.compeng.com.au/radiation_hazard_measurement.aspx
    http://buildingwellness.com.au/radio-frequency-testing-and-shielding

I am not sure if the Helicopter flies and lands at the Television Studio I have not seen it for many years so it may not fly in any more. May need to ask your prospective future neighbours.

Participant
    @duckster
    JacM wrote:
    There have certainly been films made about health problems eventuating from living near those gigantic powerlines.  I've heard people comment that there have been "a lot of people living near them and their power lines that have come down with a case of cancer".  I don't know the costs associated with having above-ground power compared to below-ground.  I don't know if the only reason they're putting them below-ground in new estates is aesthetics, and to reduce the annoyance of the powerlines falling down in storms. 

If you are sufficiently concerned about it, maybe listen to your gut.  You'd be pretty upset with yourself for having the concern, moving in anyway, and later on becoming ill.  You'd always wonder if there was a link.

The gigantic power lines are usually at 220,000 volts where as the street power lines could be 22,000 volts for the high voltage top wires or 415 volts for the three phase power lines usually there are five wires . one neutral , one for street lighting and three for each of the three phases.

putting the wires underground reduces the annoyance and the likely hood of someone driving a car into a power pole or trees falling on them. Being underground the EMR is grounded and cannot transmit through soil.

EMR – Electro Magnetic Radiation
    see http://www.answers.com/topic/electromagnetic-radiation
    This is a form of energy caused by an alternating current flowing through a wire and is how radio signals are transmitted the power lines carry alternating currents at 50 Hz. can also be light.
    Normal Radio is a lot higher in frequency and thus radio signals transmit easier from the wire (antenna).

Profile photo of Ms_FluffyMs_Fluffy
    @ms_fluffy

Hi Duckster and JacM
    Thanks for your posts.

Duckster: Thanks loads for the links and very detailed reply. I'll have to digest what you've just said.

Just to check we're on the same page, which I think we are, is the station you're refering to in R*chm*nd?

MsF

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

That station will be relocating soon….
    Tools

Participant
    @duckster

Sorry No got the wrong studio .
    However

The Richmond Studio at Bendigo street is planned to close and be moved to Docklands.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/contentmakers/2010/04/07/channel-nine-moving-to-docklands-end-of-an-era/
    http://www.realestatesource.com.au/nine-network-to-sell-richmond-studio-to-lend-lease-for-52-million.html
    There is  a microwave tower on the roof of the studios facing Mt Dandenong with two dishes that can be seen from bendigo street on Google maps street view..

You are referring to  Bendigo Street at Richmond.
    From Google Earth it appears that a Satelite dish may be being used to relay the Television broadcasts from Sydney to Richmond .
    I would think that the studio would most likely set up a new satellite dish at Docklands or move it when they move there and might move the microwave link or set up a new one from Docklands to Either Bendigo street Richmond  or directly with Mt Dandenong.

They may keep the tower and microwave link most likely for a back up redundancy radio system in case the direct docklands system fails however if they are selling the property there is a possibility the new owner/ developer may not want a radio tower on top of the building and may not have need for a satellite dish.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Generally TV and radio towers are high powered transmitters vs phone towers being low powered devices. Recent studies have shown no discernable links between mobile phone useage & brain cancers. http://www.emfexplained.info/?ID=25659

The price effect of any existing phone or tv tower is already reflected in the price of property nearby. Likewise studies have not found any discernable decrease in prices where towers are located (you'll need to google this one yourself, it was a study in NZ).

Participant
    @duckster

In this particular location
    The main high powered television transmission antenna is approx 34 KM to the east of richmond on a mountain range.
    So the broadcasts are being beamed via microwave dish to Mount Dandenong to be transmitted on the high powered transmitter near the summit of the mountain at nav location -37.836389,145.347222

Profile photo of James_JohnsonJames_Johnson
    @james_johnson

FORGET IT! Why live near something that might be dangerous?

Profile photo of Ms_FluffyMs_Fluffy
    @ms_fluffy

Thanks all for the heads up about the relocation. Maybe I've been on another planet. (We don't have tv reception- – a bit ironic given my query – so are in the dark when I forget to pick up the paper).

Duckster – since you seem to know a bit about this, is there any way of finding out what they intend to do with their tower/microwave links after the move?

Thanks guys,
    MsF

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.