All Topics / Finance / Partnership Loan – can I refinance into individual names ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Rust992001Rust992001
    @rust992001

Hi All,

I have a question, which I asked two different accountants (and received two very different answers) as well as the ATO (who could not give me a clear answer).  So any advice and the reasoning behind it would be much appreciated.

The situation is; currently have a family partnership which has a $40k business loan with CBA (paying off a small office). I want to transfer this loan to two credit cards (one in each name of the family partnership members, ie $20k each). 

The question is, will the ATO still see this as a loan which the partnership can claim deductions against – or will they now see it as a personal loan ? 

I am of the opinion that if there is a clear paper trail it should be ok, because the purpose of the finance and what the money is used for is clear – and this would be more important than who owns the loan or what it is secured against.

FYI – the reason for switching is that CBA is charging 11.5% and i can transfer the balance to the credit cards for 5% for the life of the balance transfer.

Thanks.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You will be basically refinancing one loan into two separate loans. Names on the loans doesn't really matter as it will be X borrowing and then onlending to X and Y to pay out the CBA.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Sounds interesting.  Is there a limit to 'life'.  Is this an unusual offer for a credit card (and who's the CC with)?  It sure beats the standard variable rate.  Perhaps I could refinance some of my home loan?

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of Rust992001Rust992001
    @rust992001

Thanks for your advice Terry…. much appreciated !

Andrew, the CC company is Citibank, and yes there is a catch. The minimum monthly payment is either $50 or 2% of the outstanding balance (whichever is higher) – so, the maximum balance transfer amount is $30k, which means initial monthly payment of $600 and as you need to be paying 2% of the total loan every month – this means the life of the loan is restricted to 50 months (not taking interest into consideration).

Regards,
    Rust992001

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.