All Topics / General Property / new to property investing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of palmer01palmer01
    @palmer01

hi i am pretty new to the property market and i was applying the 1% rule to a property out at young (past bathurst) when the roi result i used showed that it was a 11% return. just asking if this would be ok as a first investment property? any help would be great. thanks chris

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi Chris.

I'm not familiar with the area, but I'd check the population trends (should be stable, but better to be growing) and talk to a couple of property managers to see if there is 1. good rental demand,  2.  a reasonable type of tenant, and  3. double check the rent you have been quoted to make sure it is achievable.  The nearest council website or real estate.com are also sources of interesting statistics for the area, such as employment, infrastructure plans, demographics.

Bye,  G

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Hi Palmer,

Can you explain what the 1% rule is.  I am not familiar with that one.

Thanks,

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of djjkdjjk
    Participant
    @djjk

Andrew
    The 1% rule is one of the rules investors follow when looking for cash flowing deals. 

ie the Gross monthly rent needs to be greater than or equal to 1%of the annual mortgage cost.  eg if your mortgage is $400k, does the monthly rent equal $4k per month (unlikely in Sydney!)?  This and the 2% rule is mostly likely to work on lower priced deals, regionally or cheaper areas in general.

Cheers
    Josh

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

1% rule sounds more like the rule that I'd follow 1% of the time

Profile photo of ClaireeClairee
    Participant
    @clairee

HI Chris

Everyone’s situation is different, you would have lots more to consider than just the “1% rule”, that’s for sure. Have you read investing books? Lomas, McKnight, etc? and scroll through the forums here as well and you will find heaps of info, different scenarios and people who are generous with giving advice/sharing their point of view.

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Thanks ambosh,

The one I am familiar with is the 11 second rule (i think that's what its called).  on 400k property rent would need to be something like $3460 pcm.  I find it hard to find a property that fits that (admittedly I've only just started looking again).  1% rule is a lot more conservative.   Are either of these really a useful guide as a screening tool for CF+ properties?

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of djjkdjjk
    Participant
    @djjk
    itsandrew wrote:
    Thanks ambosh,

The one I am familiar with is the 11 second rule (i think that's what its called).  on 400k property rent would need to be something like $3460 pcm.  I find it hard to find a property that fits that (admittedly I've only just started looking again).  1% rule is a lot more conservative.   Are either of these really a useful guide as a screening tool for CF+ properties?

Andrew

Not really on higher value properties.  You wont see many properties valued at $400k renting $3,460pcm (or $800 per week).  It becomes even more unlikely as the values rise.

Profile photo of urbanedgeurbanedge
    @urbanedge

Tips In Investing A Property:

– Take a long-term view and realise that investing in property is usually a long-term strategy
    – Positive vs. negative gearing
    – Consider using the equity in any other property you own.
    – Think about buying with friends, family or work colleagues.
    – Choose a loan tailored to your current needs.
    – Use a buyers agent/property finder
    – Visit a financial adviser and/or accountant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.