All Topics / General Property / Aussies can’t afford to buy in Aus?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Interesting things happening around the traps.

12 months ago you could buy a new one bedroom apartment on the North Shore in Sydney for $380k – now they start at $500k but the ROI is not as good.

A colleague of mine said 2 new developments in Abbotsford and Chiswick in Sydney was sold out to Chinese buyers in one month and not one Aussie buyer in the mix.

A knock down house in Epping and West Pymble 12 months ago was around $700k and today around $1 million dollars.

If the Chinese economy corrects what will happen to the sunset clauses?

If the EU and IMF don't fix the problem in Europe will the American dollar collapse and will that effect prices here.

If the 40% miners tax goes ahead will building prices increase by 30% as predicted shooting the cost of construction through the roof?

FHO are struggling to buy a tent today let alone a decent block of land for our future generations.

In 1980 a millionaire bought a waterfront in Hunters Hill Sydney for $400,000.00 today the same property is worth $6 million dollars so how much is a millionaire worth today to be called a millionaire?

Now how does one put this jig saw puzzle together?

D

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    wealth4life.com wrote:

In 1980 a millionaire bought a waterfront in Hunters Hill Sydney for $400,000.00 today the same property is worth $6 million dollars so how much is a millionaire worth today to be called a millionaire?

'Millionaire' is so 'yesterday'. These days, 'billionaire' is all the buzz.

It is sad when we think about how 'cheap' things used to be. Very soon however, our children will be looking at our houses and thinking, 'What? You paid only $400K for that? These days I'm looking at a run-down townhouse on 250sqm of land 10km further out, and that's at least $500K!!'

In fact I have reason to believe that we are going to see a trend where houses simply get handed down through the generations as wealth dilutes. People no longer have to buy houses to live in. They inherit them.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi All

When you look at D's numbers, no wonder a lot of people are trying to move away from the major cities.  We just sold a 3 bed brick and tile place in the Coffs Harbour area for $289,500 and another 3 bedder in the Hunter region for $265,000.  Getting work in the regional centres is the catch I guess.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Paul,

It depends where is the location in HunterValley. You can't buy a property in Merewether and New Lambton Heights..  for 300k
    Therefore, it also applies in Sydney as well.. you can live far northwest of sydney or further southwest to get a cheaper pric

http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/articles/4168/default.aspx
    Another crazy prediction… BUY OR SELL.. the truth is out there..

Participant
    @god_of_money

D,

Chinese investors have so much fresh cash.. and they can afford to buy the apartment with CASH…(Chinese prefers to buy everything in Cash.. whereas western prefers credit).. so don't worry about sunset clause.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

In 1991 the yen fell under 20,000 points and they said it would never happen …

Don't ever believe that markets never correct and if China is or becomes unstable Chinese investors won't worry about their deposits they will do what the Japanese did, pull it all out of Australia to survive back home.

Time will tell … the more INFORMation we have the better the decisions we can make …

D

Participant
    @fword

In the past I said this before but I'm going to say it again: Yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer chances. Nobody has any clue which way the market is headed. If it were this easy to make money, financial advisers and stock market chartists wouldn't exist. They'd be living the high life in the Bahamas, not talking on the news about which way the market is headed. By the way, they're wrong like 50% of the time, but like fund managers, these folk still get paid for being fantastically incorrect in their predictions.

Speaking of investors from China however…I thought it was no longer possible for temporary residents to fly in, buy a million dollar house and fly out same day, leaving it vacant for months. Didn't they tighten the rules on foreign investment recently and even add in a witch-hunt style 'dob-in' line? IMHO this was a sensitive thing to do and just provides the means to provoke long-time residents.

I'm a busy permanent resident who moved into my house 6 months ago but spend 12 hours a day working and away from home. One day my observant neighbour actually asks if I'm moving in or gonna leave my house vacant. Fancy that! For a moment I was very insulted and angry at such an accusation, for the assumption that I'm some loaded foreigner who buys houses for the sake of doing so and then leaving it vacant.

I barely have the money to afford my mortgage and feed myself, let alone to leave it vacant. But before I blurted anything out I realised that my neighbour probably said this only because the media had put poison in his mind: that absolutely any foreigner you see on the street is guilty of such travesty.

Participant
    @god_of_money

fWord… I think we are comparing to two different group of population.
    1+Billion population in China … Majority of them has similar situation like you and me surviving through the daily life.

However 1% of population China is very rich and they can afford doing it.
    Imagine we have 1000 of Frank Lowy!!!

D.. though Nikkei will never reach 20000 again.. what happen to NASDAQ 5500 (will we ever see this again)..
    so what happen to all the resouces boom in Aussie ( will it last forever)… it is more scary looking at ourselves rather than China.
    When the dust settled, I can assure you that the property in Syd/Melb/Bris will stand strong… the mining cities will become ghost town.

If I have millions of dollars… I will of course buy the properties in Syd/Melb/Bris (as they will never go to ZERO value)

Participant
    @fword
    god_of_money wrote:
    If I have millions of dollars… I will of course buy the properties in Syd/Melb/Bris (as they will never go to ZERO value)

More to the point. If you buy substantial, well-located properties in these areas, you wouldn't lose money over the long term. Now that's my prediction in terms of where the property market is headed.

Importantly though, who doesn't already know that good property always appreciates in value?

Profile photo of MarshesMarshes
    Participant
    @marshes

Does anyone know what this dob in line is ? i did a google search and couldnt find it.

Participant
    @god_of_money

FWord… you have answered it…
    That is the reason why China investors are here to buy the 'blue chip' properties in Syd/Melb/Bris
    Who cares about the sunset clause as D said…They have CASH and will be buying it with CASH.

Participant
    @fword
    Marshes wrote:
    Does anyone know what this dob in line is ? i did a google search and couldnt find it.

Honestly I haven't tried looking for it. I'm so nauseatingly disgusted by the thought of such a scheme that I'm hoping the number will never be found by anyone.

@wealth4life.com

Couldn't agree more FW …

All we ask from a government we put into power is …

Do what you promise from the get go …
    Give ALL of us ONE set of rules and don't change them so people go broke …
    RUDD has good ideas but fails to listen to members of his teams ideas of how to implement them …
    RUDD is a megalomaniac …We are all from diverse back grounds but we are all Australians … act like it.

Every Australian has the right to be rich and happy, and not just the privileged few …

Investing is all about living a better tomorrow … don't tax the middle class for one day they will revolt on you …

Profile photo of goldiesgoldies
    @goldies

I live in a nice little place called Werrington Downs and 200 metres from my house is my favourite, family owned takeaway with the best chicken schnitzel in town..

anyways, they were looking at closing down because a Red Rooster has been approved to be built right across the car park and they figured it would be all over.

Then the commercial space next to them was rented out and a new tenant is moving in – Lend Lease. They now have a shopfront to sell off their land releases in Western Sydney. I was interested to hear that my favourite little takeaway / cafe has been thriving whilst Lend Lease is fitting out their shop, they have had Asian businessmen spending up big each day on business lunches.

I wonder if they have bought every single block, therefore excluding all local FHO from getting a prime piece of land?

Profile photo of realestate_basketrealestate_basket
    Participant
    @realestate_basket

PaulDobson wrote:
    Hi All

When you look at D's numbers, no wonder a lot of people are trying to move away from the major cities.  We just sold a 3 bed brick and tile place in the Coffs Harbour area for $289,500 and another 3 bedder in the Hunter region for $265,000.  Getting work in the regional centres is the catch I guess.

Cheers,  Paul

I agree with PaulDobson, property investors should look for opportunities presented in regional areas or wait for another property down turncycle to enter.

@wealth4life.com

I LOVE regional towns the shops and the people …

I love Mittagong and Camden area … BUT … then rents are down and there is no growth from investing unless you buy a motel or aged care development ??

Young people are moving out and older people can't afford the rents … put the rent up $5.00 and the tenant will leave then try to find a tenant.

We had a house in Proserpine that took 5 years to sell ?? bad luck or bad timing.

Maybe follow Steve ?? tax leins and not Australia ??

Profile photo of djjkdjjk
    Participant
    @djjk

If I was a gambler and had the time again – id wait until property prices in Sydney/Melbourne come down.  Its not a question of if – its a question of when and by how much.   

Participant
    @fword
    ambosh wrote:
    If I was a gambler and had the time again – id wait until property prices in Sydney/Melbourne come down.  Its not a question of if – its a question of when and by how much.   

True. That's as certain as death and taxes. But if you bought prime property, would you actually lose money over the long term?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

I must have missed all the fun!

Firstly, the dob in line reeks of another place and another time which shall remain unmentioned. Why not dob in your neighbors because they are different……….umm no thanks.

Secondly you would have to get everyone to quit their jobs in Melbourne and Sydney and move to another country to see a significant loss on a prime property. You can never get it again. Like huge blocks of land. YOU CAN NOT GET IT AGAIN. Sorry just wanted to get that point across. You can't put a land release back again………..

The cash will continue to flow in from wealthy investors not just the chinese as Australia is the property version of a swiss bank. We have a stable economy (shown through the gfc) relatively stable govt and laws. The building industry is relativly stable with good construction laws and unlike other countries our construction is governed and must meet strict requirements.

The thing that the media and most people forgot is that you can buy as much property as you like if you live here permanently.

I could buy property for my overseas relatives if I actually spoke to them or wanted to.  Also as an Australian person who lives here, I can go out and buy as many properties as I can afford. There is really nothing stopping everyone who lives here from buying as many houses as they want.

There is no media beat up on A Current Beat up or Today's Crazy Rant on investors because they underpin the housing stock through providing rental properties.

It is a crazy puzzle D, and inflation takes a dollar and makes it worth 50 cents. I think millionaire is the new middle class since most peoples houses are worth probably half a mil and up and then by the time you add in other assets etc then they would probably be close. Personally I'm not going to use a dollar amount, I will refer to rich people as "Leer Jet Rich".

This is what happens when you don't post for awhile, you write a book!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@wealth4life.com

Hello DW

Or a rich person owns 4 houses with no debts …

D

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.