All Topics / General Property / insurance when >1 lease

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of cut_the_chasecut_the_chase
    Participant
    @cut_the_chase

Didn't think this was an issue, as there are many student accommodations around, I believe most people just have the vanilla landlord insurance. Have a property settled, still thinking of either renting out as a whole or to student tenants. Been asking few insurance companies and they are as clueless as I am. If I ring up for a landlord insurance they never ask if the IP is rented on one or more leases (and what's this thing with # of leases anyway, insurance companies are full of it !), just where in the content & public liability policy that it excludes dual occupancy/student accommodation. Which brokers/insurance people use. Property is in QLD.

Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

I've called several major insurance companies (AAMI, GIO, NRMA, Allianze) , the answer I received are all the same: they would not insure student accommodation where more than one lease is in place for the house.
    I was told that some insurance broker might be able to help on this one.

Profile photo of cut_the_chasecut_the_chase
    Participant
    @cut_the_chase

Thanks danviv1, but when do they ask if there is more than one lease ?

Participant
    @cut_the_chase

That's qwhy I said insurance companies are full of it, something as common as student accommodation and they don't cover.  People must be getting insurance somewhere, I was told Terri Sheer etc. But my query is where is the exclusion either in the application process or the PDS  ?

Profile photo of KateMelbKateMelb
    @katemelb

Lumleys through a broker is worth a look – they're even cheaper than cheap EBM.

Participant
    @cut_the_chase
    Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

Hi cut the chase,

they actually don't ask if there is more than 1 lease, the sales representative just want to get the premium so they don't bother asking details like this. :P

I actually asked explicitly if they insure it, then they answered no. I believe the risk is that if you buy an insurance without telling them it is more than 1 lease in place, you will have trouble when declare something in the future.

did you try the broker? how did that go?

viv

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.