All Topics / Value Adding / Rendering a Fibro House

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ShinyShiny
    @shiny

I would like to render my 2 story home it is currently sheeted in Fibro in oredr to render it I need to remove the cover strips and fill the joints. I am concerned that the External Gap filler won't stand the test of time and will crack the rendering down the track. Does anyone have any advice or previous experience the this type of project? 

Profile photo of armsarms
    Participant
    @arms
    Shiny wrote:
    I would like to render my 2 story home it is currently sheeted in Fibro in oredr to render it I need to remove the cover strips and fill the joints. I am concerned that the External Gap filler won't stand the test of time and will crack the rendering down the track. Does anyone have any advice or previous experience the this type of project? 

you will have to remove the old cover strips and reline over the old fibro with blueboard then cover the joints in the blue board then render ,using the old board will only end in the render falling off

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

When rendering over foam the renderers often apply a mesh over the whole surface prior to rendering. This acts to unify the whole surface and guard against cracking, and maybe worth considering in this type of application.

Profile photo of richteddyrichteddy
    @richteddy

Hi Shiny

Depending on what finish you want, we painted our fibro investment property (left cover strips on) in Hervey Bay in a Course Textured paint (purchased from Bunnings). After two coats you could barely see the cover strips and they certainly blended in and it gave it the rendered look.  You do need to practice and work out a bit of a technique to start with if you are going to do it yourself. If getting a professional they would know all the tricks.

Richteddy

Profile photo of ShinyShiny
    @shiny

Hi Thank you all for your tips, Firstly I really don't want to recover the house in blue board. I dont want to spend thatbsort of money. I do want to remove the cover strips, that brings me to the mesh tip can you give me some info on what its made of and what is it called and how is it fixed to the house
    Thanks Shiny

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The mesh, I believe, is fibreglass. It's quite a brad weave and acts as a reiforcing agent. A phone call to a render supplier should have you on the right track.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.