All Topics / Overseas Deals / New LEAD Based laws

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of doublekfarmdoublekfarm
    @doublekfarm

Hello!
    There have been a bunch of changes made by the EPA regarding companies/contractors who remodel/renovate homes built prior to 1978.Basically you must go through certification courses and strictly follow the procedures/rules by the EPA.You should check these regulations in the states that you have any investment properties, as there are different changes happening at different times in each state! Also, these new rules do relate to the rental of properties built before 1978. In Kansas, the property owner has to ensure that the property is lead safe by having it inspected and certified if the tenants are aged under 6, or if there will be any children visiting the home more than twice a week aged under 6. These new rules are insane, and dont get me wrong, safety is a #1 priority, but what they require us as remodel contractors and property owners to do is insane! Not to mention the $1000 it has cost to get hubby certified and licenced for a year, as well as the $2000 it has cost to have all our employees go through the basic lead safe worker course! The fines and penalties here in KS are outrageous, and the cost of the testing supplies that we have to use and then send to the EPA are once again, totally insane! If a tenant is not properly notified per these new rules the fines/penalties would pretty much shut our companies down!The EPA is one organisation you really dont want to deal with over here. I am including a link to an EPA site for anyone who wants to do further reading etc.
    Thanks
    J.

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Are you even in Australia?

I thought this was an Australian based forum.

Do these changes have anything to do with Australian properties?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

You're not in Kansas anymore…….

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@sonyasal

Where's toto OMG, is that the dog's name?? haven't watched the movie in a while

Profile photo of djjkdjjk
    Participant
    @djjk
    sonyasal wrote:
    Are you even in Australia?

I thought this was an Australian based forum.

Do these changes have anything to do with Australian properties?

No, but I guess thats why the OP posted in the "Overseas Deals" section…

Participant
    @dwolfe

Heheheh! I think we have all become a bunch of cynics awaiting the next spam attempt!

D

Email Me

Profile photo of doublekfarmdoublekfarm
    @doublekfarm

As much as I would love to be retired and sitting on the coast in Australia right now..I am here in KS, for another few years….funnily enough our town actually is home to the Wizard of OZ Museum and is building a yellow brick road :))

Happy you guys got a few giggles from my post, but more importantly I hope that in the future it might help investors not get stuck investing their money in properties that might  cost them who knows how much to remodel, as well as future litigation from tenants, this is after all the USA and the people here really are sue-happy lol

@sonyasal

i should have paid more attention to where the posting was, sorry :(

Participant
    @dwolfe

doublek ur good enough to take a few from us but not let it get to you! Sorry to see u can't sun yourself on a beach, in Melbourne I can't either! Thanks for the community service update!

D

Email Me

@doublekfarm

hahahah I am a Melbourne girl and lived on Westernport Bay :), in somers and areas around it before it got over populated!
    And you gotta have a tough skin living even in KS!! The folks here are nicer than most, but this is the USA. We hope to head to the Gold Coast or further north to retire, as its great here to make money for sure, but theres nowhere as good as Australia for friendly , laid back people :))
    Cheers !

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Hi J,

I reckon it's great you are posting practical information for people who are interested in US property.  There's just so much to learn especially for people like me who are only just starting to look at the US option.  Does this law only apply in KS or is it nationwide?

Just out of interest how much are the fines for non-compliance?  Sounds like the EPA has some serious teeth.

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

@doublekfarm

Hi Andrew, it is nation wide. Its just that each state is going about things in their own time and such!

The link i posted shows the handful of states already set up and training etc ..and timelines when others expect to have their laws and stuff set.

As an example of fines and restrictions on us as the Remodel Contractor, hubby being the Super/Boss, if he is not on the job then he has to be able to be contacted and be at the job within an hour.So if some EPA dude comes out and has a problem etc…and hubby cannnot get there in that time the initial fine is $35K :))  

EPA is like the Insurance commission and workers compo…you dont wanna mess with them in construction thats for sure loll

Hope this gives you some insight :))
    J.

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

WOW!!!!

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Thanks mate for the heads up .
     It could also occur in Australia too as politicians here bring in regulations all the time that affect businesses or investing. 
    Look at what they are doing to mining in Australia as an example.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.