All Topics / General Property / Tasmania – Devonport

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of RoseRose
    @rose

Hi All – I’m looking at investing in a property in East Devonport based in Tasmania – does anyone know anything about this area?

Rose

Profile photo of DanielBDanielB
    Participant
    @danielb

Nice area Rose, I dont live there myself but I am from Tassie and would buy there myself if I found the right property.  Its the main port for the spirit of Tasmania and is roughly in between the west coast mining towns and Launceston.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

HI Rose,

I have had a bit of a look around east devonport when over in beautiful Tassie, and I must admit to being a bit dissapointed. THere are some pretty wild parts of down that way – with central and west dev being much nicer. Had a look at a couple with ocean views, but the streets and culdesacs there remind me of one of those yank movies where it shows you what the bronx looks like after dark…. That said, I did not buy in a certain area of Burnie for a similar reason, and the prices there have soared compared to where I did buy (which has still been pretty good though) Even the agents can't pick it – as they often say / said the same. It is good value though, but I would not buy without looking in that area of the city. Ambleside looks ok on paper, but I have not had a look around there. Have you thought of Ulverstone? Regardless, if you get a good deal and stable tennants like all poperty in Tas, the worst that you will have is steady growth!
    All the best.

Profile photo of slipperslipper
    @slipper

G'day Rose,
    I grew up in Devonport and still live close by.  The city once was roughly divided into west and east  (either side of the Mersey River) with the west being the better part.  Now there are pockets of good / not so good dotted around both areas.  Lotsa parts os East that were once viewed as "no go" zones are now fetching good prices, with some of the more affluent locals grabbing some prime seaside locations that were once looked down on.
      We have looked seriously at a few properties in East but in the end our two properties in Devonport are on the west side.
    I know quite a few people who live in East, and a number who quite enjoy living in the "bronx"style areas which aren't as bad as they once were.  In these areas, once you get a decent tenant they tend to stick around too.  If you aren't going to inspect yourself, I'd definately get someone You knew to check out the general area  (or at least view it on google street view).

v8ghia  –  if the Burnie suburb was shorewell its worth noting that there was a nice new subdivision with designer homes that went in that area and was lumped in with it  (much to the disgust of the owners of these houses) which added to the rise in the house prices of the suburb.  I know I'd be picking East Devonport over the old part of Shorwell.

And on another note: Don't ever tell someone from Ambleside they are from East Devonport  –  they are likely to just about rip you apart for sujesting it…

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi slipper,
    Yep, I was talking about shorewell park. There was not one agent who even remotely encouraged us to look there – as of 2005/06. Although many acknowledge that houses used to be 'only 30 grand there, and now they are close to 100!!!' – and from keeping an eye on what median growth I have been able to it appears to have outperformed most other areas. Your comments would explain a lot of that though – thanks. What areas (on a map or a few street names) would you classify as the new subdivision out of interest? (have not visited for a little while)
    Gee there was some stuff in east devonport that looked good value for money on the internet – but when I did have a look I was disapointed. I'm sure there are some gems there though, and being local you obviously have a handle on things.

Cheers

Profile photo of slipperslipper
    @slipper
    v8ghia wrote:
    Hi slipper,
     What areas (on a map or a few street names) would you classify as the new subdivision out of interest? (have not visited for a little while)

The new subdivision is off Morville Rd and is a few hudred meters before the turn-off from Morville Rd into shorwell.  Was reported in local paper that the residents were a "bit peeved" that their are was lumped in with shorwell rather than Morville Rd.

As for having much of a handle on the Devonport area  –  time will tell if our efforts have been on the ball or a balls-up.  Even hough I keep checking out some of the properties in East, I know my judgment is still a bit biased to west.
    As you have previously stated – Tassie should give steady growth, but the times of big jumps in Tassie are past.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.