All Topics / Value Adding / Stephen Tolle & Cherie Barber workshop

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Profile photo of dblissdbliss
    @dbliss
    JessW wrote:
    Hi guys – I'm off to the workshop in Melbourne in a couple of weeks… so I will certainly leave some feedback for you all then!

I've made the decision to invest in property, and hopefully make it my full-time job (other than being mum!), so I feel it is important to gain as much education and information off people in the know. With any luck Stephen Tolle and Cherie Barber will be a wealth of information for me…. albeit an expensive one!

Anyhow, I'll let you all know how it goes…..

Cheers
    Jess

Are you going on july 3rd and 4th??  I am going to that one myself and am really looking forward to it.  Like you, I am going to make this my full time career..along with being a mum. 

And while 5K is a lot of money, people pay more for a new TV… it all depends on what you do with the information you are given, as with anything, it is always up to you.

I am also happy to come back and give feedback

dbliss

Profile photo of JessWJessW
    @jessw

Hi dbliss – I am going on the 12th & 13th June – so less than 2 weeks now! Pity its not the same workshop as you… we could've introduced ourselves! However, after you've attended the workshop in July, if you are interested in catching up to discuss ideas etc, please PM me and let me know. Always good to have likeminded people to chat to!

Cheers
    Jess

Profile photo of rustychookrustychook
    @rustychook

I have actually done the 'Renovating for Profit' 2 day workshop in December 2009. I am from Perth but flew to Sydney with a friend because I couldn't wait for the Perth one which was going to be mid 2010. Was it worth it?? If you are serious about getting into renovating then defintely yes. For all you people out there who have said you already have IP's that you want to renovate – you may find out that your property isn't going to make you money. Sorry to tell you this – but a good percentage of the course is about due diligence and choosing the right property in the first place. From their 8 step process it is only at step 6 that we even start talking about creating a higher and better use for the property. Steps 1 through 5 are all about targeting area, suburb and property due diligence, analysis of the property and aquiring the property. One of the main things I discovered from the course is that you need to look at about 300 properties before you find one worth renovating (for profit). Most properties you will find you will only get back what you spent and make no profit from – or worse a loss. What I am trying to say that most of the work happens before you even buy the property – because it's buying the right property that makes the most difference to your eventual outcome. The actual renovation is the easy bit. However there is heaps of information in their course notes and cd's, worksheets and templates. And for those looking for information on the actual renovation process – there are many great tips and ideas which have all formulated into easy to follow steps and checklists which cover everything. Trust me the amount of hand luggage I had to take on the plane with me was enormous. I suppose the main thing I got from the workshop was the amount of due diligence involved if you are wanting to make a profit. So yes the workshop was definitely worth it if you are going to make a real go at renovating. Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions on the course I am happy to answer them.

Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

Hi Tinkara,

Actually I am curious to know why she doesn't wanna share more info too!

To me, I believe their workshop must be good, but don't think it is the one and only one workshop out there to make a renovation successful. besides some of the materials they cover, such as asset protection, subdivision and strata title, I've already learnt. What i am interested in is just the dual diligence template and financial feasibility analysis.

just a thought that's not relevable to the topic:
    5k per person, say 100 students per workshop, so each 2 day workshop = 500k.
    Question: how long does it take for a renovation project to generate this much profit? and how much work + capital must be involved in it for this profit?
    conclusion: real estate workshop is a lot more profitable than the actual real estate deals.

The problem is that in the seminars, it is intellectual property that get taught. The price is whatever people are happy to pay for. It's hard to justify.

Profile photo of tinkaratinkara
    Participant
    @tinkara

To Rustychook
    Thx so much for your feed back.
    I note that you are from Perth. One concern i had was wether the information was relevant enough for the perth market. I am in melbourne and i wondered if the info. they give can be equally applied here.
    You did the course in Dec. 09. Have you had the opportunity to renovate yet? 
    Does any body know, do Cherie and Stephen continue to renovate? Because like danviv1 said, they must be making a bucket load of cash from their workshops!!!
    In saying that, I still have an interest in doing their course and geting in to renovating. We c urrently have 3 IP's, that could do with a bit of a make over, nothing structual, so that is in the plan for the next 12-16 months.  We want to increase our wealth and plan to buy , renovate and sell as a strategy. I believe that getting a good education in the art of searching for the right property and excecuting a profitable renovation is utimate. When your dealing with property, your dealing in hundreds of thousands of dollars, so getting it perfect is paramount.  And so that is what i am hoping that their course would help with. I dont want to run the  risk of making errors. We renovated our family home about 5 years ago and I know very well how things can get out of hand very fast.
     I am eagerly awaiting feedback from others who will be going in june and july.
    Thx guys.

Profile photo of rustychookrustychook
    @rustychook

Hi to everyone interested in the 'Renovating for Profit' Workshop,

To answer some of your question:

Yes, the workshop is relevant no matter where you are from. Sure most of the examples from Sherie and Steve are focussed in Sydney, particularly Balmain but the principles they teach will work anywhere. They do spend a bit of time talking about council issues that would only come up if you were renovating in a higher density area and not so relevant to a suburban renovation but it's all interesting stuff. You just have to adapt the information to suit your own circumstances.

Are Cherie and Steve still renovating? They sure are. However they are not there with a sledgehammer in hand anymore, they project manage now and have a team of tradespeople who do the dirty work. But they are on site 7am with coffees in hand for the tradespeople. They treat their tradies well and with respect but in return they expect quality workmanship.

I am sure they do make a lot from their workshops but you are buying the intellectual property of 2 very successful renovators who started out with no experience and are now making millions. One thing that stands out about this pair is that they are very professional. Everything about them is professional and no detail is left to chance.

If you already have your IP's and just want renovating tips maybe you could find a cheaper course that just focussed on that but if you plan on making renovating a full time job I think its beneficial to know the whole process. It really made me realise the options you have when buying and how it's not all about getting a cheap price. Things like early access can enable you to have the property cosmetically renovated and ready to put back on the market before you have parted with any money. Plus they have the legal paperwork for that sort of thing and you get copies of it.

I suppose instead of struggling your way through you have the answers at your fingertips – not to say you won't come up with your own challenges – but it lets you go into the whole thing with your eyes a lot more open. If you are really ready to commit to renovating then the course is very worthwhile. It could possibly save you heaps of money by avoiding costly mistakes.

As far as my renovating goes I am still in the process of sourcing my investment property. I have a block of land that I want to sell first and I am in the process of doing that. However it hasn't stopped me from going to heaps of home opens and really getting to know my target area. I am getting impatient though and just want to get started!!

Happy renovating

Profile photo of dblissdbliss
    @dbliss

Thanks for the info rustychook.  That is kinda what I was hoping to hear!!

Good luck to them making that much money from a weekend of talking…wish I could do it!  It's not like they aren't giving you anything for the money you give them.  The reason people don't succeed after doing these types of courses is because they don't apply themselves and give up if it just 'too hard'.

JessW would love to catch up, it is always good to chat to people who are on the same path as you…will pm you.

@dbliss
    JessW wrote:
    Hi dbliss – I am going on the 12th & 13th June – so less than 2 weeks now! Pity its not the same workshop as you… we could've introduced ourselves! However, after you've attended the workshop in July, if you are interested in catching up to discuss ideas etc, please PM me and let me know. Always good to have likeminded people to chat to!

Cheers
    Jess

Hey Jess, just tried to pm you and either I can't figure it out, or I can't do it!!  Would love to get in contact, maybe see if you can pm me??

Kylie

@jessw

Hey Kylie – I've sent you a pm – not sure if it worked though… you can email me at [email protected] – would love to catch up!

Cheers,
    Jess

Profile photo of Finn562Finn562
    @finn562

Hi all, I know it all seems expensive out there in seminar land. Is it worth it, oh that's too much. My wife and I just travelled to Sydney to do Stephen and Cheries workshop from Perth. We found it absolutely awesome and are now starting to do our suburb due dilligence. Something we found great was actually going out onto one of their sites to see what their thoughts were with their project. Could we really afford to do the course —- NOT REALLY—- But even more so, if we wish to take up home renovating as a business, —-WE COULDN"T AFFORD NOT TO DO IT

Cheers,
    Ian

@jessw

Thanks so much for the feedback Ian! Great to hear you enjoyed it. I am off their workshop in Melbourne this weekend and I'm very excited about it!

Cheers
    Jess

Participant
    @tinkara

ian,
    thanks for the feed back.
    its always nice to get good feed back like that on something that costs so much money.
    please let us know how u go with your new renovating career!
    jess,  have fun this weekend at the melbourne workshop and enjoy! Please let us know what you think of the workshop.
    jess, since u are in melb. have you ever attended any seminars that "women in property" put on once a month in hawthorn?
    they sound interesting, never been, but thinking of going this month.
    tina.

@dbliss

Can't wait to hear what you think of it Jess.  Looking forward to your feedback.

Tina, I haven't heard of the 'women in property' seminars..will have to look into it, as I am also from melb.

@jessw

Hi Tina – I haven't heard of  "Women in Property" either so I just checked out the website. Can't seem to find when their next meeting is though – do you know? Might be good….

Cheers
    Jess

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

I just received and watched their free 2 hour DVD and was quite impressed with the content. You can tell they really understand the dynamics of how to make significant profits through property. Renovation was low on my list of potential ways to profit, but the DVD has got me seriously thinking about it. I would need some more money in the bank to finance the kind of deals that I would want to do though as it seems the best deals would be on homes around the $1 million mark in Sydney.

Something that I dont understand that perhaps someone has done the course could explain…. they say in the DVD that the cost to do a full reno is greater than the cost to do a new build. Why are they renovating, rather than knocking down a $1 miilion wreck and rebuilding a McMansion worth $3 million, instead of making expensive changes and getting $2 miilion?

Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

Hi Matt,

All of Steve and Cherie's deals are in the high end market, and their renovation style is to bring a house from bottom of market to the top of the market to maximize their margin. However, I don't think everyone can afford to play in that price range to start with. At least for the first deal, I wouldn't go out and buy a 800k house and try to reno it, too risky for me.

I haven't done their course, but I guess there are three reasons why they choose to do expensive structural reno rather than rebuild:
    1, council approval process is a lot longer for new building, hence holding cost is significant especially when u r holding a 1mil house. vs most of the renovation don't need council approval at all.
    2, some house may have heritage listing, so knock down is impossible.
    3, some terrace style house got common wall with neighbors, so again knock down is impossible.

Just my guess, could anyone who's done their workshop comment on it?

cheers

Participant
    @tinkara

jess and dbliss,
    the women in property next meeting is at the Geebung hotel, 85 barkers rd, hawthorn east on tue june 22, at 7pm.
    there is an entry fee of $45 at the door, but cheaper if you pre-pay.
    some how i have ended up on their email list and once a month i get this info sent to me, but u are right, there doesnt seem to be anything on the website.
    i have not been to any of these meetings, but i am planning to attend the next one because they sound interesting.
    might be an idea to email them so that they can sent u all the info.
    let me know how u go,
    tina

@jessw

Great thanks Tina – I did actually email them last night so I'm sure now that I've done that I'll be on their e-mail list too! I might think about going too. If I do I'll let you know.

Cheers
    Jess

@jessw

Hi everyone – well I have just had my weekend workshop with Stephen & Cherie, and it was great! Really comprehensive… Cherie is like this crazy woman who covers absolutely every single detail you can think of! And Steve – well he's just funny!!

No seriously, it was very full-on, loads of information, their Due Diligence System is very comprehensive and detailed, and makes you really get to know your target market, do thorough research, and therefore only buy the properties that are going to make you a buck. They talk about structural and cosmetic renovations – but you don't learn how to paint, or replace kitchen cupboards – you learn how to project manage and work with tradies etc.

The main topics that they cover are:
    Setting up your property business; companies / trusts etc.; Finding the right team i.e. broker, solicitor, accountant; Doing your due diligence; dealing with agents; how to make an offer; getting the right finance; creative finance ideas; settlement periods and early access; managing your reno; dressing your property for resale etc.

Cherie & Steve obviously know their stuff.

I would highly recommend the course if you are considering doing either structural or cosmetic reno's, or if you want to learn how to really get to know the real estate market. The things they are teaching you certainly aren't rocket science, it's just common sense. But it's the way they go about their research, and the "tight ship" they run within their property business that you can really learn from.

Plus, they are very generous with their knowledge and time, ask any question and they'll answer you. Part of the course is you receive 12 months of mentoring. So I can now ring Cherie or Steve anytime (you can call them directly) with any questions I have. Plus of course you get the Trade Card that gives you some great discounts. 

I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad I did it – yes, a lot of money, but worth it in my opinion!!

If anyone has any questions please ask me!

Cheers
    Jess

@dbliss

Hey Jess,

Sounds like it was well worth it! I'm glad that you enjoyed it and are glad that you did it.

I'm really looking forward to going in a few weeks now, wish that I had been there this weekend.
    I sent you an email..just wondering if you got it?  Would love to catch up after I have done it.

Cheers

dbliss

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.