All Topics / Help Needed! / Can I get a 2nd property without enough equity?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of jliajlia
    @jlia

Hi,

I am new to this forum and hoping all you experienced investors can help me. I recently converted my PPOR (a unit in Adelaide) into an investment property and am renting elsewhere. I am keen to purchase my next investment property and was presuming this wouldn't be too difficult as I bought the unit 2 years ago and thought I would have enough equity to cover purchase costs etc. However, the valuation of my unit has come back lower than I was expecting (still an increase since I bought it but only $15,000 more). Given the balance of this loan I have been told I don't have enough equity to purchase again.  I know that my serviceability is good as my income is over 70K a year (no dependants or other personal loans) but I dont have enough in the way of savings to cover purchase costs. Are there any other options for me to purchase my next place? Or do I just have to wait and save…?

Thanks for your advice.

Profile photo of GP_investorGP_investor
    @gp_investor

Hi Jlia,

I am a newbie in this area as well and I must say I ended up using a bit of equity from my PPOR and savings to generate the deposit for my 2nd property.

I am in the same boat as you now, as I dont have enough funds to go for the next property.

Are there are any other ways to generate deposits ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Have both of you considered a second valuation with an alternative lender ?

Other than this raising a deposit thru a personal loan maybe an option but not easy these days.

Vendor finance for the deposit is fairly unlikely as most sellers wouldnt understand or be prepared to take on the deal.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of jliajlia
    @jlia

Are there any ways to improve the chances of a valuation coming in any better with another lender?

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

2 years is not a long time for your equity to grow, unless you did a reno. Don't believe everything you read and hear about property increasing in value every year. it's not as simple as that. On a wage of $70K, surely you could save at least $20K pa. Eat baked beans everyday if you have to. I remember when I rented a house for $20pw (it was under the house), my kitchen was my shower & laundry all in one just so i could save for a deposit to buy a property. keep saving your deposit as your very lucky to have such a good income.

@jlia

I actually did do some renos to the unit! Painted throughout, new aircon, considerable upgrade to the bathroom, cosmetic changes to the kitchen and garden and some extra storage inside. Hence why I was a little disappointed at the valuation. I have been able to increase the rent considerably, thats why I felt the valuation was perhaps over conservative. Oh well, its all a learning process!

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

Mate I hear you, my valuations are all over the place. I had one value (ANZ Bank) at $1,150,000, a month later Westpac did it at $1,450,000 and I managed to refi with Rams – finally after waiting 18 mths to get finance. Tis is a financing nightmare at the moment, but it will all change – one day and the Banks will be cralling for our business again.

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

I recently had a property with NAB and wasn't happy with the valuation.  Took it to ANZ and it was valued at 40K higher and about right for the house in the area.

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi Jiia.

I probably shouldn't say this in case one of my kids reads it, but is there a possibility a parent could loan you the deposit for another investment, on the basis that it is a really good buy, and that you have shown them that you can reimburse them within 12 months?
    Alternatively you could see if they are interested in doing a joint venture with you where you put in the sweat equity to improve the value and they provide the deposit.  It could be sold to release your new deposit for something of your own, or keep for a while.
    G

@jlia

I have considered asking family to help out but don't like my chances! They aren't into property at all and have little understanding of how it all works and would probably see it as too risky. I can see on my valuation that there haven't been many comparible properties sold recently so I think that's what didn't help. Of the few units sold in the area, they were 10-15 years older and not updated. I can hope that over the next few months some comparibles are sold at a better price and in the mean time keep saving!

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi again Jiia.

Not to worry.  I think on your income with your motivation, you can save the deposit quite quickly, and there are always good buys out there somewhere.  Don't forget you can sit your savings in an offset account to reduce the interest on your existing mortgage.
    Good Luck.

G

Profile photo of goldiesgoldies
    @goldies

i am having the same issues with valuations… i think i will try another valuer through another bank, cant hurt right? a couple of extra hundred bucks for a possible outcome of owning my first IP.

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

did the valuers do a drive past or a walk thru valuation? A walk thru may be more favourable.

Profile photo of Dazz_996Dazz_996
    @dazz_996

Hi Jiia,

First of all I assume that you understand how Loan to Value Ratio works (LVR) bank at the moment are very cautios of low LVRs.

However there are a number of tricks you can use to increse the value of your property:

1.  make sure you attend the valuation with the vauler,
    2. do you research in your area of you IP so you know yourself how much it is worth
    3. find all the houses that have sold at a higher value than yours but aren't as good as yours, use this as ammunition to prove why your house is worth more, use this opposite when you want to buy a house.
    4. when you walk around with the vauler highlight the best features of the house, these could be the views, location, features. etc

Overall there are many ways to invest in property without using equity such as vendor finance etc.
    Let me know if you would like to know more,
    Hope this helps

@jlia

Thanks Dazz_996,

I didn't attend the valuation as I had a tenant in there at the time, so that is a good tip.

Yeah, I understand about LVR's. Do you think this 'cautiousness' by banks will improve at all soon?

My broker did suggest to search for other comparable properties as the ones they had compared mine  to where 10-15 years olders and with no upgarding etc. I sent some through that I felt were more in line with mine but the valuer would only accept properties that had sold in the previous 3 months (bit unfair I think as they could use ones from over a year ago!) and only from a very select few suburbs (which they didn't advise me of until afterwards), so wouldn't use the ones I had found. As I mentioned earlier on in this thread, there just hasn't been much in the way of units sold in the area so difficult to compare. I tried my best to increase the valuation but feel I have exhausted my options! Can only wait and hope for some more sales in the area soon.

I even consulted with another broker. He also has a look for comparables but didn't fancy my chances of an increase even if another lender had a valuation done.

I would be interested in finding out more about other finance options though. I have read some things but they are a little confusing!

thanks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Perhaps Dazz can tell us which lenders come post 1 July allow Vendor Finance as an alternative finance option.

I am not aware of any lender but am always happy to be corrected.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of casanovawacasanovawa
    Participant
    @casanovawa

I am about to hopefully get finance for a house and land package.  Building should take about 6-7 months (Jan-Feb 2011).  The good thing is i don't need to start making repayments until i get the key so that's 6-7 months i can save up more money (to add the inevitables like do up backyard and some air con etc) but also to build up savings for a buffer once i do move in.  The package is about $330k, but with my deposit of around $20k that should have the loan when i move in (not counting any savings i can put in an offset acount) of around $310k.  Properties in the existing part of the suburb where the new estate is have had houses advertised for around $370k up to over $400k…  Not sure what they are finally selling for, but I am planning to add a few nice things to the place, so am expecting it not to be at the cheapest end of that range if it went on the market.

If when i walked into the house I could get something like $380k-390k i would strongly consider selling it after the minimum amount of time living in it to not have to pay CGT and go off with my $70-80k profit and buy/build one or two places…  But if I did decide to keep it, either to live in or rent it out, it would be nice if after a valuation it showed that the house had equity of $60k-70k and together with a bit of savings i had accumulated it allowed me to think about getting an IP property early/mid next year. 

But just not sure how conservative the banks might be in working out a valuation for the house, especially in the area of a new estate etc with other houses in the middle of building, or vacant blocks of land around whose dwellings have not started yet…  I suppose i will have to wait and see..

Mark

Profile photo of littleaussielittleaussie
    Participant
    @littleaussie
    jlia wrote:
    Hi,

I am new to this forum and hoping all you experienced investors can help me. I recently converted my PPOR (a unit in Adelaide) into an investment property and am renting elsewhere. I am keen to purchase my next investment property and was presuming this wouldn't be too difficult as I bought the unit 2 years ago and thought I would have enough equity to cover purchase costs etc. However, the valuation of my unit has come back lower than I was expecting (still an increase since I bought it but only $15,000 more). Given the balance of this loan I have been told I don't have enough equity to purchase again.  I know that my serviceability is good as my income is over 70K a year (no dependants or other personal loans) but I dont have enough in the way of savings to cover purchase costs. Are there any other options for me to purchase my next place? Or do I just have to wait and save…?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi,
    Do you have a lot of superranuation? You could set up a self managed super fund and set up a unit trust. The super fund could then supply the deposit and closing costs and any negative gearing could be paid by the super fund. The income would be split between yourself and the super fund. The super fund purchases units from the unit trust and eventually buys the property from the unit trust. The only down sides are that re-financing to access equity is not allowed, and once the super fund pays it off, you can't access the money until retirement. Tax breaks are really good tho. 15%
    Have a chat to your accountant or solicitor about this strategy. We're setting up ours when we do our tax.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

A joint venture or finding a money partner is a possible option.

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi Jlia, I presume you're talking about buying another IP in SA? May I ask what you've seen that makes it so urgent to buy immediately?

KY

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.