All Topics / Help Needed! / In trouble

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of jmboyjmboy
    @jmboy

Hi, 8 months ago a bought a property to live in and now I hate it and want to sell it. The reason is I bought on a busy street which has progressively gotten worse and I can't stand the noise and am gtting very depressed about the whole thing. I think I bought it for too much and just want to get rid of it now.

Please, don't ask why did I buy on a busy street, I just did not realise it would be that bad inside or it was going to get worse. So I've learnt a valuable lesson about not doing research around the suburb growth plans.

My questions are.
    1. Do I sell and cut my losses?
    2. Move out and rent another home and keep this one to rent out?
    3. Just stay and hope it will increase in value over the next year so I can sell and hopefully make a small profit?

The property is in canberra.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Can I ask:

What sort of property is it?  (House/townhouse/villa/apartment)

Does it have double-glazed windows?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of slallenslallen
    @slallen

1. Have you had a market appraisal – do your research first so you know whether you are looking at a loss
    2. While you're getting a market appraisal – get it appraised as a rental at the same time – will the estimated rent cover your repayments?
    3. If you are unhappy living in the property my opinion is that you don't stay there – being unhappy in your own home has the potential to make you unhappy in other aspects of your life

4. Send me a private message – As a canberra investor I may be able to give you further advice

Profile photo of benno79benno79
    Participant
    @benno79

HI sorry to hear your having trouble with the noise. I know exactly how you feel as we live on a main road and it feels like you never have a moment of peace.

Have you considered having secondary double glazed windows? These are a separate window that is installed behind the external window. We  fitted it to our bedroom and it works a treat.  Would be expensive to do the whole house but definatley worth it for the bedroom.

Cheers

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi jmboy.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but you may not lose too much, as values have probably not dropped and may have even risen. It could be that the main road is something positive for another buyer.  Is it zoned for business, e.g. doctors' rooms?
    If you need the money to buy somewhere else, making a bit of a loss may make it worth it.  Perhaps you could pick up a really good buy elsewhere to make up for it?  I don't think I'd want to gamble on things going up in the next little while, but that's a personal opinion. 

G

Profile photo of jmboyjmboy
    @jmboy

thanx for your kind and sympathetic comments everyone. I was hoping not to get beat up as I'm doing a good job of that myself lately…why why why!

Anyway, I have already booked double glazing in for the front two bedrooms, but I'm afraid my attitude towards this house has already sunk to an all time low and now I just want to walk away.  I will certainly look at getting a valuation done on the property before I go and put it on the market just so I don't just sell it off and then realise i could have got more for it afterwards.

When I do sell I will sell privately, by negotiation.  It may take longer but I will hopefully get some more money back with no agent fees.

If someone can point me in the direction of a good property valuer that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for you help everyone.

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

do the windows
    we moved a door about 3 feet over and were amazed at the difference it made
    the sound was being funneled in  ,moving the door way a bit  made a difference with only a sheet of gyprock  in place
    and the new door open !
    pop on your feng shui hat and………
    have a good long look at your place and think of ways to fill all the  cracks and gaps
     check the insulation the government installed is fitting nicely
    and if you cant move the door make sure it is of solid construction and fitting nicely
    is it possible to build a front fence ? or a screen
    out of besser block or something solid
    spent years on main roads as it was all i could afford
    on the positive side  towing companies used to pay a kick back when i called up after an accident !

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

when you go to sell
    choose the time for your home opens to show the property in its best  light
    for me that was before 11 am
    late model cars with no engine mods……
    good luck

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    jmboy wrote:
    When I do sell I will sell privately, by negotiation.  It may take longer but I will hopefully get some more money back with no agent fees.

Taking a step back, I'd say BIG Mistake. Why, you're depressed, it will show in your dealings with buyers. They will see that it is a distressed sale and you will be mince meat. Use an agent, distance yourself from the deal and don't get done over.

You'd be surprised that even paying an agent 2.5-3% of the sale price ie less than $20k, you should be able to get back on track with more peace of mind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.