All Topics / Forum Frolic / For a laugh – Cat on the Farm

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of catfreecatfree
    Participant
    @catfree

Hey-ho all!

Was just reminded of something that happened a few years back and thought I might share – since I got such a giggle from it.

I'm a city gal – Melbourne born and bred. Then I met my farmer hubby online, and moved to the middle-of-nowhere in Central Vic. We have since moved back – I only lasted seven years, but that is another story…

I'm big on "helping" – a hands on kinda creature, I really enjoyed working with the sheep and cattle, drove the header (harvester) a couple of seasons, worked in the shearing shed etc etc.

The first hay season I was up there hubby asked if I would like to rake the hay into rows ahead of him pulling the baler along with one of the tractors – I was pumped! Such a big job! Such responsibility!

So there I am, 6 in the am, driving the 4×4 ute, dragging a big rake along, flipping hay from two rows into one, my staffy x in the front seat beside me, Barnesy on the radio (seriously, he was!) and me catwhauling along like a deranged banshee. I had a ball.

Later that afternoon the boys (hubby and FIL) turn up for afternoon tea. They've been moving the big round hay bales into piles to be transported back to the sheds. I come out to greet them, still pumped that I've been SUCH a big help only to find them with strange expressions on their faces.

Turns out that as they moved one of the bales they were shocked to discover that it had some added extras hanging out of it on all sides – they managed to tell me between howls of laughter that I had managed to rake up an ENTIRE dead kangaroo and that it had been baled up! I have never been so embarrassed and don't think I will ever live it down…

SUCH a city girl….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.