All Topics / Creative Investing / Using Equity in my PPOR to purchase my 1st IP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of new2investnew2invest
    Participant
    @new2invest

Hello to all investors. I am new to this site and after reading some of the postsi decided to join.
    Ok here is a little about my situation. We built about ayear ago and now we are thinking using the equity in
    our home to purchase our 1st IP. House is valued around the 450k+. Well that’s what I believe it is worth today after doing some figures analysis.

We owe about 330k and are on a combined income say 130-160k. We are looking at purchasing a block of land around 155k n building a house on it around 160k.

What I want to know is how the equity will be used considering am buying the land first n then picking a builder to build the house for 160k. How will the bank finance this type of project.

I lived in Clyde north, VIC.

Any advice On the type of loan or the best strategy to use. Also it would be great if I could get a breakdown on the figures like equity vs IP vs PPOR

thank you
    new2invest

Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call

If your PPOR is worth $450K you could borrow up to 80%=$360K.  Less $330K owing, you would have $30K available equity, which you could take out as a line of credit (and then you only pay interest on what you actually use).  That is assuming the bank values your PPOR at $450K.  I have found the bank often seems to undervalue houses, so you might not have that much after all.

Plan sounds good though.

Profile photo of new2investnew2invest
    Participant
    @new2invest

Line of Credit – what is it ? And what r the advantages n disadvantages if having such account as an investor?

30k in Equity! Is that enough? If it is where will it be used: land or house?
    How would the loan structuring works?

Cheers
    New2invest

@house-call
    new2invest wrote:
    Line of Credit – what is it ? And what r the advantages n disadvantages if having such account as an investor? 30k in Equity! Is that enough? If it is where will it be used: land or house? How would the loan structuring works? Cheers New2invest

line of credit (LOC) loan is where bank gives you a loan with a maximum limit (using home equity as security) then you can draw on it for whatever you want (incl world trip or car etc).  Advantage is it is very flexible because effectively it gives you that money "at call" once bank has approved and set it up.  For an investment property you use it to cover 20% deposit plus costs. (Then borrow the other 80% against the IP.

Type in "line of credit" into google and you will find every bank offers it in some form or another.  Interest rate is usually a little bit more than standard variable rate. (eg 0.2% more)

Where will it be used?  Up to you, you're the spender!

PS I am not an expert, but I do have a few LOC loans on the go for different things.

@house-call
    new2invest wrote:
    We owe about 330k and are on a combined income say 130-160k.

Other thing is on this sort of income you could support way more than $330K anyway.  Not sure how they actually calculate it.  Have a look at a loan calculator and it will probably give you a rough idea.  (Type in loan calculator into google)

I'd be talking to a finance broker to nut it all out for you.  You'd have to be on a good wicket with that much income.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi new

Easiest way to structure the loan is to look at taking a separate loan secured against your PPOR to either 80% or 90% of the current valuation and then using these funds as deposit on the land,

Separately take out a standalone loan secured against the land and on going construction.

Consider using a separate lender to avoid cross collateralising the securities.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @new2invest

Thanks for all your input.
    Others please feel free to add what you believe is the best strategy.

I will start looking into LOC and other loans types.
    I was not expecting quick replies but this is great.
    Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Heh Steve

30 Posts and 21 of them refer to a referral to a Mortgage Broker and Property investment services.

Not bad mate what cut do you get on each sale or are you the owner ?

Perhaps contribute for a year or two first before you sell your services.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi new

I'd suggest you have a talk with Richard.  He has been helping a hell of a lot of forumites here for a long time and we recommend him highly.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Participant
    @new2invest

Thanks for all the info guys,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.