All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying in a country town

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of dblissdbliss
    @dbliss

We are looking to buy in a country town not that far from the city by train.  I am wondering how important the location of the house is in relation to shops etc is in the country, given that most houses are within a 5km radius of the shops/schools etc.  The place we are looking at is in a new housing development on the edge of town, about 5km from the shops and 3km from the schools. 

The numbers work really well and there is a very low vacancy rate, so not worried about getting a tenant at the moment, but if things change in the future would this change?  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Established houses aren't selling fast in the estate, but I think it is because you can buy a brand new one for $10,000 more and that appeals to the first home buyer. We are looking to buy and hold for the long term.

Any experience/suggestions would be appreciated.

dbliss

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

With exceptions, the rule seems to be that country properties will provide a better rental yield, and city properties a better capital gain. That's not to say it all evens out. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on this from forumites.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.