All Topics / Overseas Deals / WARNING – USA investors READ THIS!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of kenCarterkenCarter
    @kencarter

This heads up applies to any US property that has been built/repaired/renovated in the last 10 years (especially 04-08).
    The States imported a massive amount of cheap Chinese plasterboard over the last decade which they are now finding out is made from contaminated power station waste.
    From what I understand the  plasterboard or 'sheetrock' is emitting toxic gasses (hydrogen sulphate), and eroding anything copper in or near the walls (water pipes, AC units, electrical wiring).
    There is plenty of information about the issue if you google "chinese sheetrock"

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi Ken.

Yes, I believe this problem relates to newer properties built recently.  When looking in locations such as Florida the advertisements refer to it as 'Chinese drywall'.  I assume a building inspection would rule it out?

Regards,
    G

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Puts a new spin on 'sheeet wall' ;)

Profile photo of urbanedgeurbanedge
    @urbanedge
    kenCarter wrote:
    There is plenty of information about the issue if you google "chinese sheetrock"

thank you for the right keyword ken..
    i search it on google and i found many sources about it.. well  , it really  did make a very big issue …

it became a nightmare for those who are affected ..

Profile photo of doublekfarmdoublekfarm
    @doublekfarm

Hello :)
    Most of this rock was distributed throughout the southern states of the US. Having been in the drywall trade for over 30 years, I can assure you it was used in Atlanta and Florida. I am NOT trying to put folks off from investing there etc, but it is definitely something that needs to be looked for and asked about when considering purchasing a property. There have been attempts to get the builders who used this rock in their homes to be responsible for its removal, no luck there! This rock was also used in remodels, so another thing to watch for when researching a property. As said previously its really nasty stuff that affects a lot of a homes components and the replacement and repair costs can be high.

Just my two cents worth, thought it might help a little.

Cheers
    Jean

Profile photo of PaulccPaulcc
    @paulcc

Chinese Dry wall is a concern in Florida on properties build from 2000 onwards from what we have seen. When we purchase our properties this is the first thing we look for and reject any property that has it. Our partners in Florida, due to viewing so many properties now can identify easily if a property has Chinese dry wall to save time and money with a inspections. As it effects the electrical wiring checking behind wall sockets can show tell tail signs.

Paul

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.