All Topics / Help Needed! / Growth areas in Melbourne – budget areas (under 400k) – Any suggestions

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Hi There,
    Looking at picking up a property and trying to find a growth area. Its hard to guage but think South East- Eastern Area?
    Anyone had any luck with budget areas in Mebourne

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

Hi Energy4Anarchy,

Can you give us a little bit more information in terms of what you are looking for and for which purpose. eg. Are you looking at purchasing something to renovate and resell or are you looking to get an investment to hold on to long term and just rent out, etc. What are you budgetary limitations? etc

Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Hi Ana,

Sure thing…

I’ve had a bit of success buying cheaper/neglected properties in areas where there has been a good growth. I’m in Melbourne myself and ideally i’d love to pick up a property that needs a small bit of work. I’ve bought a place in August 2009, my PPOR, and it was a full Reno – new everything.

This time round, looking at picking something out there that is a bit simplier – needs a lick of paint, a clean up, the odd thing here there and everwhere and then put tenants straight in. Trying to get it cheap, for a bit of capital growth but definently want tenants /keep it it for a minimum of 2 years.

Regards
    John

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Wantirna south, Sunshine (don't laugh the big developers have moved in doing H & L packages), Ringwood East.
    Finding something under $400k is the big challenge, but if you start somewhere and then circle out you should find something that suits.

Look for growth, look for infrastructure, shops, rail, roads, anything that will make people live there. Still pretty nuts in Melb but the FHB territories have slowed a lot might be able to pick up something cheap…….

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

We haven't done anything in Wantirn South or Sunshine, but we have done a few reno's for clients in Ringwood who have done very well out of it. It's got the eastland shopping centre, freeway, ringwood bypass, not far from other higher priced suburbs ie Blackburn, Templestowe… One of the case studies on my website shows a reno that is just in the process of being completed there.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yep. Ringwood East is probably 2 kms further sideways. Mount Dandenong Rd turns into the start of Eastlink. Maroondah Hospital is there (being upgraded) and there is a train station too. You can then go further to Croydon too. I like it a lot but i do not have endless funds :(

Oh Well! Can't buy everything.

D

Email Me

@energy4anarchy

I’ve got 3 properties – Narre Warren, Hampton Park and now my PPOR as Berwick…

I’ve had a great success with each – doing up, keeping and yielding good rent from them… I’m looking to repeat the process – i’m just not really seeing much in the market at the moment… translation – no bargains

Participant
    @dwolfe

LOL! No bargains in Melbourne. Time to start the trek over to other states, have a tour through SA and end up in WA. I think this is the last hoorah for bargains. Regional maybe.

D

Email Me

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

Also depends on what you are trying to do, our experience is that buy/reno/resells are doing much better than buy/holds at the moment. It's all about manufacturing growth rather than waiting for natural growth to happen :)

@energy4anarchy

Yeah… thats what i was thinking… nothing to be found!!!! I’m ready to buy now – but looks like ill wait… or take a punt into regional areas! I think there are a few people heading further and further out…

Profile photo of SashSash
    @sash

Try Frankston. Alot of good things happening down there infrastructure wise. Last affordable beachside suburb in Melbourne pretty much. You could maybe even pick up something on a large block with future development possibilities. That is what I have done.

Sash

Want it. Own it. Enjoy it. Achieve it.

Profile photo of cowenancowenan
    Participant
    @cowenan

murrumbeena and carnegie.  murrumbeena borders on east malvern (which is ridiculously unafordable) so its only a matter of time before it pushes us neighbouring areas

@energy4anarchy

Did you see the first post Cowenan…. UNder 400k and preferably budget!

I’m specifically requesting looking for your cheaper, dare i say blue collar type areas to invest in

Regards

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

To be brutally honest, I'd be humoured to see what 400K and under would buy. One of the things I was looking at in that price range was actually St Kilda apartments, but as with anything there's always the issue of supply and demand. Gut feel tells me there's a lot of apartments floating around there and vacancy rates are probably a little higher than the outer east areas.

Fundamentally however, their location is generally sound, amongst great infrastructure, shops, close to entertainment, transport, eateries, the beach, and less than 7kms from the CBD, in what looks like a rather charming environment. Honestly, I would consider moving there, because I could come home everyday, grab a drink from my fridge and just head out and laze on the beach in the evenings.

Ringwood has gone up a good deal in recent months. DWolfe mentioned Croydon, which is incidentally where I live in what is currently my first home. People have differing opinions about Croydon. Some say it's nicely treed, leafy, quiet, the border between city and country (especially in the northern part, IMO). But some others will tell you its full of bogans. Don't let that stop you however, especially if you're looking to buy rental properties. Vacancy rates are low, if you check SQM Research, so my guess is that if you pick up something in a decent spot it should rent easily.

Now 'decent' is a subjective term, because one of my friends personally likes the area north of Maroondah Highway, and while my agent agrees, he also states the area near main street is an excellent location (coincidentally the area that the said friend told me to avoid). Either way, you'd probably be looking at a nice house on a smaller block, a house that needs more work but on a full sized block 800-1000sqm, or a unit. Recent activity has pushed prices up.

Another colleague at work personally likes Berwick and Lyndhurst, and is also now looking at Hampton Park and Narre Warren, but I couldn't tell you much about these places. And, yet another colleague of mine lives in Frankston and recently sold his IP in Bentleigh East. He thinks Frankston is going to grow a lot more in the coming years. I used to look at the listings of Seaford although never been there personally. Heard its kinda rough, but again someone else here might highly recommend it.

These could be 'growth' areas which might interest you. I don't know if Croydon classifies as a 'growth' area, because strictly, there appears to be a lack of new land for sale. This could be a good thing since new houses springing up everywhere don't bode too well for older houses in the same area. I also think Croydon looks undervalued alongside Ringwood and to a certain extent maybe Boronia. But take my opinion with a few huge grains of salt, will ya?

Profile photo of KateMelbKateMelb
    @katemelb

Bentleigh East is ridiculously overpriced for a suburb without a train line within walking distance, or any good schools (only a handful of streets are in the McKinnon Secondary College zone).

Try Clayton, Carnegie, Murrumbeena and Hughesdale along the Pakenham train line or Cheltenham, Moorabbin, Mentone and Highett along the Frankston train line. These areas are in demand as more and more people are pushed out of McKinnon, Caulfield, Bentleigh and East Malvern due to lack of rental stock and affordability.

I DIY manage with Rentwise.

Profile photo of mikenickomikenicko
    @mikenicko

HI all.

It still surprises me that when people think property in Melbourne they only think North and East. No on eseems to look at property across the West Gate Bridge.

I purchased a very nice four bedrooom house in Seabrook, near Point Cook, for $338,000 in Nov 2007. Currently worth at least $100K more than that. Why? Only about 20km from the city, has schools, shops etc witihin walking distance and two train stations within four monute drive, and with the completion of the Point Cook Shopping Plaza in late 2008 the area has been going great guns.

I currently rent it for $360 a week, having lived in it myself for about 15 months. Rent could do better, and I intend to review this in a few months, but as for growth, this is an area that is playing catch-up as people realise it's not that far from the city and the North and East are too expensive. My research in late 2007, in particular my lack of bias when I looked at distance to the city and surrounding facilities/infrastructure, before I bought has for me paid off. I'm currently residing overseas, but may look to sell this and cash in the growth to spend on better cash flow properties.

The area has become quite expensive now, but there are places still under $400,000 and there are planty of new estates.

I'm not saying that this area is the be all and end all, but please take note that there is a huge corridor of land yet to be filled just across the West Gate Bridge. If you're looking for growth over the long term, and they say Melbourne is growing faster than Sydney, then look at this void of potential housing.

Good luck with your search for an investment propert in Melbourne.

Regards,

Mike 

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Mike,

Valid point! I guess the only thing that would put me off buying somewhere like Point Cook (even though looks like ok option) is there doesn't seem to be a scarcity factor. There seems to be many more planned land releases in the area and the housing options are all house and land packages in planned estates. This is not necessarily a bad thing. My own investing strategy is for development of existing older houses into units so looking out that side isn't really an option. If I do buy and hold it needs to be something on a sub-dividable block which is often restricted on new blocks.

But having said all that every one has a different strategy. The depreciation on a new property is great and if the rent is neutral/positive cashflow then it may fit many people's strategy. As long as the cashflow and growth is there I don't think people should be put off by Western suburbs (in any state…) By the way the Eastern suburbs are the ones people look down on in WA so really a good investment is in the eye of the beholder!

D

Email Me

Profile photo of Ally_24Ally_24
    Participant
    @ally_24

Hey there energy4anarchy,

Personally I have found sucess investing in narre warren. Area has had a 10.8% median price rise over the past 12 months and in my opinion this area will be booming in the next 5 years! The fact that its very central to public transport and fountain gate makes it highly desirable to renters. I am actually working as an estate agent for a very reputable company in the area (please dont hold it against me) and what ive obverved from buyers in the last couple of months has astonished me. Homes are selling for prices I would have thought rediculous 2 years ago and there is a huge surge brewing of properties about to enter the market. <moderator: delete advertising>

Allison Collis
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Graeme FreerGraeme Freer
    Participant
    @freerenterprise

For more affordable waterside property try Chelsea 35k SE of Melbourne. Smallchange suburbs like Epping to the north or Footscray, Kensington, Brunswick for inner city burbs undergoing gentrification. I have bought and sold properties in these locations with some success

Graeme Freer | Freer Property and Finance
    http://www.freerpropertyandfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Buyers Agent

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.