All Topics / Help Needed! / Equity question?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of AndrewHAndrewH
    Participant
    @andrewh

Lets just say you buy a house for 300k In 1yr it went up 30k, So u use the equity for something (Anything) Do you have to refinance the loan for 330k??

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

If you are asking whether you have to refinance in order to draw out your equity then the answer is YES.
    There are only two ways I know of to access your equity. Either through selling the property, or taking out a loan against the equity.
    So you might have bought a house for $300k but it is now worth $330k…this doesn’t mean you have $30k sitting in your bank account.

Also something to be aware of is that if you want to maintain a 80% Loan To Value Ratio (LVR) then you will only be able to borrow a further $24k (80% of $30k). You won’t be able to borrow the full $30k and maintain an 80% LVR.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of homersydhomersyd
    Participant
    @homersyd

so why would one actually wanted to keep LVR to 80%? Is there any benefits of doing that?

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko
    homersyd wrote:
    so why would one actually wanted to keep LVR to 80%? Is there any benefits of doing that?

If you go over 80% LVR then you will have to pay LMI

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

@ homersyd – Yeh you have to pay lender’s mortgage insurance if you go over 80%. This is you paying the bank for the banks increased risk in the deal.

Also, having few properties with the LVR over 95% can sometimes limit your borrowing capacity.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.