All Topics / Finance / noob question on finance deposits

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of cs_rlewiscs_rlewis
    Participant
    @cs_rlewis

Hi fellow investors,

I'm looking to begin investing but i have a query as to where to obtain deposits from.

Say if you want to begin an investment portfolio and want to invest in more than one property, then how do people manage to obtain deposits?
    for example you buy one property for say 200000$ and leave a $40000 deposit, then say a year down the track you want to invest in another property of similar value, then where does your deposit come from? Id say its pretty hard to save up 40K in cash in a year. Do you need to access your equity or develop some form of structuring?

I read steve mcknight's book and he states he bought 60 properties in one day in new zealand… but how did he manage to obtain finance on all these properties and also put down 20% deposits on each of them?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Profile photo of basbogbasbog
    Participant
    @basbog

You have to have a deposit + costs, stamp duty etc so make sure you have enough, some lenders are doing 90% with mortgage insurance, so this would save some of your deposit.

If you have no further access to deposits you need to hope you are going to buy in a growth area so your next deposit will come from your first property, so to do the same thing your property would need to go up 65k and then you could borrow 80% of that

Barry

Profile photo of cs_rlewiscs_rlewis
    Participant
    @cs_rlewis

so how does one (steve mcknight) find the finance to buy 60 properties in one day?

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi Luey, the properties were owned by one person and I believe were sold as a package of some kind. ( according to Steve on one of his DVD's)

Profile photo of basbogbasbog
    Participant
    @basbog

Steve has been around for a long time in property, so either he had the cash or he had the equity, as well as the borrowing capacity which means gooood earnings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.