All Topics / Value Adding / home extension

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of cowenancowenan
    Participant
    @cowenan

hi i am in the process of arranging a substantial extension / renovation of my home

about 70sq metre rear extension and a fair bit of work to the existing house (ie add WIR/ensuite, new kitchen etc)

am i better off going with a plan to construction builder (eg extension factory and the like) or getting the plans / permits etc and then engaging a builder separately

initial quotes are around $5k to get plans and permits to the stage where i can then get quotes from builders to start

i have also spoken to a around 5 plan to construction builders and most want around $500 to put together sketches and cost schedule quote

thanks for any help

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Without coming off as too cynical, a builder will want some sort of "exclusivity" if they are charging only $500 for plans and costings. However, getting the advice of a builder at draft stage is a good idea – they'll generally have some good ideas on the major cost items (especially structural) that can be incorporated into the final working drawings.

Profile photo of cowenancowenan
    Participant
    @cowenan

hi and thanks. yes the builders cost of $500 doesn't include supplied plans. just their own which they talked through with the costings etc. 

how much should i pay from a draftsman for:

1. plans
    2. engineering

etc
    i have been given one quote for plans which was $2300 for plans and $2000 for engineering

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The quote seems reasonable. The cost is however relative to the rest of the project expenses – get the design and documentation wrong and you will keep on paying for any oversights right through the project. Remember that they are working for you, so be clear about what it is you want and what your budget is. Try also this process of triangulation: Assuming the size is determined, what is most important? Cost, time, or finish. If you can answer this for yourself then this forms the top of your triangle and is fixed. This helps you communicate your objectives.

If you are immovable on one point then this will affect the others. For example, if the finish is paramount, then be prepared to give a little on time and cost. If cost is most important, then you may have to give some time or compromise finishes.

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

It is really hard to know what that cost included. I can only share with you from our own experience as a service provider what we recently went through with a client.

We charged $10,000 for the prelimiary works, but that included:
    – Works Insurance
    – Warranty Insurance
    – Soil Testing
    – Energy Rating Documents
    – Building Permit Document preperation
    – Engineering Documents
    – Obtaining the building permits

It might be worthwhile to find out exactly which things were included in the quotes you get..

Profile photo of cowenancowenan
    Participant
    @cowenan

thanks for your responses.  can anyone refer a reasonable priced draftsman in the south east of melbourne

Profile photo of wade anthonywade anthony
    Participant
    @wade-anthony

I'm a architectural and structural designer/draftsman in NSW. $5K seems a bit over priced to me, for that sort of extension, I would charge around $2000 to $2500 including engineering drawings (footing and steel beams etc.) and energy rating (BASIX in NSW) but not including surveyor and certification fee's. I have a in house structural engineer, but it depends on how many separate consultants you'll need to see ie. the in house consultants the company has that you select.

Wade Anthony
    Architectural and structural designer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.