All Topics / Value Adding / Add $10000 value to your project per energy rating star.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Adam LancasterAdam Lancaster
    Participant
    @adam-lancaster

Did you know that in 2011, if you want to sell residential property you will have to include your homes energy rating.

Yep, you know those energy stickers on appliances you see all over the place. You’ll effectively have to put one of those on the sales board when you’re selling.

In October 2008, the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreed to develop a National Strategy on Energy Efficiency to accelerate energy efficiency efforts, streamline roles and responsibilities across levels of governments, and help households and businesses prepare for the introduction of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme. (taken from http://www.coag.gov.au/coag_meeting_outcomes/2009-07-02/docs/Energy_efficiency_measures_table.pdf )

So how do you add $10000 to your project?

Well mandatory energy rating disclosure has been around in Canberra for around 5 years. Studies have shown (Master Builders Talk) that the same house on the same block in Canberra with the only identifiable marketing difference being the energy rating of the home, shows that 1 extra star = around $10000 added to the sale price.

So if your building or renovating at the moment should you be keeping this in mind, will something done in construction cheaply or affordably add that $10000 to your place?

Here are some ideas learnt from a few of our builders:

Pump up the insulation in the roof / walls / floor
    East West blocks are going to become even more important due to the path of the sun
    Northern Aspect living areas again will become even more an important consideration
    High energy rated appliances. Think Gas cooktops and Gas and/or solar water heating
    Double glazed windows, timber has better ratings than alluminium, although there are new products that are catching up

Exceptional Product – Awarded the Green Plumbers Award for Product of the Year

The Bosch 26 eco+ 6.9 STAR ENERGY RATING
    [ Buy online at http://www.renovi.com.au/pd_bosch_26eco_instant_gas_hot_water_system.cfm ]

This is the kind of item that can help you achieve that extra star.

The Bosch 26eco+ gas hot water system is a high-efficiency, fully-condensing appliance. Unlike traditional hot water systems, a condensing unit captures heat from the exhaust gas and uses it to preheat the incoming cold water, making the 26eco+ one of the most energy efficient gas hot water system on the market with a 6.9 star energy efficiency rating. The Bosch 26eco+ was also named the GreenPlumbers Product of the Year for 2009 which demonstrates its contribution to the environment and sustainability.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

In my latest electricity bill I noticed that electric hot water units will be phased out from 2012 for existing dwellings. The only exceptions will be where gas is not available. That means the price of electric units will probably rise once they  become scarce.

Profile photo of andykirbyandykirby
    Participant
    @andykirby

Hi Scotty,

Electric hot water units are the latest target due to their poor efficiency, especially storage tanks. The efficiency is not good, they warm up the water whether it's used or not. Instantaneous electric water heating (i.e. turn on the tap and the water heater starts up) will still be OK though. Obviously, if you already have an electric storage system installed, you can still keep using it but new or replacement units won't be available after 2012.

I suspect that over time these hot water systems will become scarce, as will people with the ability to keep servicing them!

You can always change over to gas if your property is connected, but depending on where you live, you can get rebates for installing solar hot water (usually with a gas booster, so you need to be connected to gas) if you live in VIC, or still get rebates for installing PV cells.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Sounds like I too may be stuck – I have a heavily treed block so I can't even get satellite tv let alone solar to work, gas isn't viable as it is very hilly/rocky and hasn't been extended to our street.

Are all-electric heat pump/electric boosted combo systems available?

Profile photo of Adam LancasterAdam Lancaster
    Participant
    @adam-lancaster
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    In my latest electricity bill I noticed that electric hot water units will be phased out from 2012 for existing dwellings. The only exceptions will be where gas is not available. That means the price of electric units will probably rise once they  become scarce.

You’re spot on, i forgot to mention that one. Thanks for adding to this thread. What will become huge will be solar hot water systems. For the uninitiated, solar systems literally use the heat the sun creates to heat water and then store that in a storage tank. When you come to use hot water that water then leaves the storage tank and goes through an instant gas hot water system, and if it needs the heat raised this is when it will use gas to do so. If the tank is full of water at the set desired temperature it will simple pass through the instant system without using and gas (or electricity) hence your whole hot shower is hot due to the sun.

So when choosing solar hot water or water tank, in my opinion go solar, it will save you on average $6 (from Bosch) a week, and will lessen your impact on the environment.

Or as i will be doing, get both :)

Profile photo of Adam LancasterAdam Lancaster
    Participant
    @adam-lancaster
    IP Freely wrote:
    Sounds like I too may be stuck – I have a heavily treed block so I can't even get satellite tv let alone solar to work, gas isn't viable as it is very hilly/rocky and hasn't been extended to our street.

Are all-electric heat pump/electric boosted combo systems available?

Yes there are electric booster systems available, and once Bosch launch their solar systems, they will have these as apart of their range as they realise gas isn’t everywhere.

Hope this helps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.