All Topics / Help Needed! / Anyone knows whether subleasing to too many people is illegal?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of woolynightwoolynight
    Participant
    @woolynight

In our aparment there're a few "astute" investors, who privately rented their 2 bedroom units to more than 10 people, collecting a lot of rent to achieve "positive" cashflow.

Does anyone know whether there's any regulation/laws prohibiting this and who's the governing body? Council and Tax office can't seem to do anything at all.

Thanks!

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Try your body corporate or strata managing agent

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

I thought in most states you had to have a rooming house permit if you had over 6 or so people in the one house. I was also under the impression that there had to be extra fire precautions and the like. I am surprised the council wont do anything as i would have thought they would have liked their cut.But like Richard says try the Body Corp they can probably issue them with some sort of notice or breach.

Sounds like a hazard 10 people in a 2 bed unit!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning

DWolfe is right – as soon as you reach 7 unrelated people it becomes a lodging house and needs Planning Approval and you will need to ensure there are Exit signs for fire safety and the like. If somebody complains (which seems likely) they could be warned and then infringed.

Profile photo of woolynightwoolynight
    Participant
    @woolynight

Thanks for all your replies guys.
    Our strata manager tries his best to stay away with such trouble.
    Probably i should talk to our local MP.

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

That's shocking.    There's a big crackdown going on in Brisbane right now about that – lots of people being fined.

This is an article from last year, but there was a recent one following up in the last month or so. 
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brisbane-city-council-crackdown-on-over-crowded-housing/story-e6freon6-1225775177929

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.