All Topics / General Property / Interest Rates UP

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Sonya, you can't get a descent house if < 750k.. unless you want to live in the flat
    The problem is $$$ = jobs Sydney CBD

Try CityRail and Sydney Bus… tell me what you think about the transport system in Sydney.
    It is the slowest railway system in the WORLD.

Driving.. yes… try to get into sydney CBD 7-8am with toll charges and parking fee…KILLER 
    and petrol is going crazy..

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Fortunately I don't live in the city!!! I chose to live in the Blue Mountains for 12 years and now live in a rural area. Earning what is apparently a below average wage, however, can still afford to buy my own home and up to my fourth IP in three years. it all comes down to the choices people make. Noone forces people to live in the city and if they move to a rural area they don't need to earn the big bucks to survive.

i was in the Blue Mountains and Sydney last week, travelled from the Lower mountains to Central on the train, took 1 hour 15 minutes.

@sonyasal

Fortunately I don't live in the city!!! I chose to live in the Blue Mountains for 12 years and now live in a rural area. Earning what is apparently a below average wage, however, can still afford to buy my own home and up to my fourth IP in three years. it all comes down to the choices people make. Noone forces people to live in the city and if they move to a rural area they don't need to earn the big bucks to survive.

i was in the Blue Mountains and Sydney last week, travelled from the Lower mountains to Central on the train, took 1 hour 15 minutes.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

How about every day spending 1 1/4 hr plus waiting time plus delay x 2 = 3-4 hrs just for transport
    It will drive everyone MAD…

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

How about every day spending 1 1/4 hr plus waiting time plus delay x 2 = 3-4 hrs just for transport
    It will drive everyone MAD…

Profile photo of SurrealistSurrealist
    @surrealist

Choices? Come on, its not all about one’s choices but one’s opportunities and environment in which choices can be made.

Have a look at the following article regarding energy costs, noting the word ‘forced’ in the first paragraph. There is very limited choice in the energy market.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/money/money-matters/big-end-of-town-dodges-power-struggle-over-electricity-prices/story-fn300aev-1225852928389

I chose to move from Sydney to Canberra two years ago to work in the PS. I bought a very modest, older style unit and to be honest, the interest rate increases are hurting. I did have some money owing on my car that I incorporated into my mortgage at a lower interest rate, but still, the entire mortgage after FHOG, fees etc is a pretty modest 282k. I was approved on 51k salary and currently on a 61k salary. I previously rented and that too was not easy because I was paying off a car at the time as well.

Fortunately I have folks that don’t mind helping me, not with the mortgage, but with other bills and such – they have done pretty well for themselves so they do not mind at all. I don’t like it, but I just cannot afford to pay everything (eg body corp fees alone are over 600 per quarter). I don’t have the energy to take on a second job. I seldom buy new clothes and never go on holidays or other activities, and you won’t find me splurging down at Harvey Norman on the weekend or going on other shopping sprees, but I do eat well, eat out once a week and go to the gym – lifestyle choice that admittedly does come at a slight increased cost than feeding on diet of sh*t-for-food and becoming a fat, hideously overweight marshmallow as many of my colleagues are.

Sonyasai you imply that everyone who is crying foul about interest rate increases have splurged on 700k loans and that is certainly not true for everyone.

@surrealist

Choices? Come on, its not all about one’s choices but one’s opportunities and environment in which choices can be made.

Have a look at the following article regarding energy costs, noting the word ‘forced’ in the first paragraph. There is very limited choice in the energy market.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/money/money-matters/big-end-of-town-dodges-power-struggle-over-electricity-prices/story-fn300aev-1225852928389

I chose to move from Sydney to Canberra two years ago to work in the PS. I bought a very modest, older style unit and to be honest, the interest rate increases are hurting. I did have some money owing on my car that I incorporated into my mortgage at a lower interest rate, but still, the entire mortgage after FHOG, fees etc is a pretty modest 282k. I was approved on 51k salary and currently on a 61k salary. I previously rented and that too was not easy because I was paying off a car at the time as well.

Fortunately I have folks that don’t mind helping me, not with the mortgage, but with other bills and such – they have done pretty well for themselves so they do not mind at all. I don’t like it, but I just cannot afford to pay everything (eg body corp fees alone are over 600 per quarter). I don’t have the energy to take on a second job. I seldom buy new clothes and never go on holidays or other activities, and you won’t find me splurging down at Harvey Norman on the weekend or going on other shopping sprees, but I do eat well, eat out once a week and go to the gym – lifestyle choice that admittedly does come at a slight increased cost than feeding on diet of sh*t-for-food and becoming a fat, hideously overweight marshmallow as many of my colleagues are.

Sonyasai you imply that everyone who is crying foul about interest rate increases have splurged on 700k loans and that is certainly not true for everyone.

@sonyasal

I didn't imply that everyone has splurged on properties of $700k or more, i said that those people are the ones who often are the most vocal about rising interest rates. I know that it is not easy to afford property, I personally only earn $55K a year and support myself and three children on that wage, their father contributes nothing towards their living/ education/ sport costs. My car is eleven years old, we eat out maybe once every six weeks, most of my furntiure has been purchased on ebay and even a garage sales. But it is all clean and servicable. My mortgage was just under $175K.

Both of my parents are deceased so there is no help there. I apologise if anyone was or is offended by my comments , that was certainly not my intention.

@sonyasal

I didn't imply that everyone has splurged on properties of $700k or more, i said that those people are the ones who often are the most vocal about rising interest rates. I know that it is not easy to afford property, I personally only earn $55K a year and support myself and three children on that wage, their father contributes nothing towards their living/ education/ sport costs. My car is eleven years old, we eat out maybe once every six weeks, most of my furntiure has been purchased on ebay and even a garage sales. But it is all clean and servicable. My mortgage was just under $175K.

Both of my parents are deceased so there is no help there. I apologise if anyone was or is offended by my comments , that was certainly not my intention.

@surrealist

Well in that case, it makes your comments that much more palatable as you are practising what you preach so to speak.  I appologise as well for getting a little too excited with my views. :-)

@surrealist

Well in that case, it makes your comments that much more palatable as you are practising what you preach so to speak.  I appologise as well for getting a little too excited with my views. :-)

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    sonyasal wrote:
    this would be helped even more if the governments and big business put a bit more thought and effort into decentralising some businesses. With technology today, emails, video teleconferencing etc. you do not have to have businesses set up in the middle of the city to be profitable and/or successful.

Moving to outer suburbs or even rural areas would also be cheaper as far as rent or purchase costs for commercial property is concerned. Travel time for staff would be shorter, therefore they may be more productive, have a better quality of life and be able to afford the type of home that they want.

This would probably be the fairest way to deal with (or fix) the issue of ever-rising property prices. Quite simply, working people would prefer to stay nearer to their workplace, and have schools and shops, transport etc around their area so they don't have to drive for ages to fetch their kids to school, the pool, or to music classes. Working class people are very time poor, so the shops and eating places also need to be within easy reach.

This, I think, is the key issue that drives the 'want it all' mentality. Most of us these days are just time-poor and can hardly even manage our own garden.

The issue with decentralising jobs however, is that the government would take at least a decade (if not two) to actually get this plan into action. After all, it took a massive shortage of water before discussions were made about building a desalination plant! The other thing that should be improved is public transport and the power grid. Provide excellent and affordable public transport, together with a grid that ensures we don't have brownouts (or complete blackouts) during the heat of summer would also encourage people to live further from the city.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    sonyasal wrote:
    this would be helped even more if the governments and big business put a bit more thought and effort into decentralising some businesses. With technology today, emails, video teleconferencing etc. you do not have to have businesses set up in the middle of the city to be profitable and/or successful.

Moving to outer suburbs or even rural areas would also be cheaper as far as rent or purchase costs for commercial property is concerned. Travel time for staff would be shorter, therefore they may be more productive, have a better quality of life and be able to afford the type of home that they want.

This would probably be the fairest way to deal with (or fix) the issue of ever-rising property prices. Quite simply, working people would prefer to stay nearer to their workplace, and have schools and shops, transport etc around their area so they don't have to drive for ages to fetch their kids to school, the pool, or to music classes. Working class people are very time poor, so the shops and eating places also need to be within easy reach.

This, I think, is the key issue that drives the 'want it all' mentality. Most of us these days are just time-poor and can hardly even manage our own garden.

The issue with decentralising jobs however, is that the government would take at least a decade (if not two) to actually get this plan into action. After all, it took a massive shortage of water before discussions were made about building a desalination plant! The other thing that should be improved is public transport and the power grid. Provide excellent and affordable public transport, together with a grid that ensures we don't have brownouts (or complete blackouts) during the heat of summer would also encourage people to live further from the city.

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Well with electricity due to soar for us and not big business soon I am very skeptical about the longevity of this government if they dont try and curb their spending of our money whilst we cop all these higher charges for basic services.

Any Tassie investor would know they have just separated water and council rates so they can nudge the totals up over $100/yr.

Little massages like this are everywhere so watch your holding costs on IP's as they really cost more than most of us think.

Job decentralisation means finding those developements that cater to these locational changes and buying in appropriate areas nearby. Lots of research and busy times ahead.

All I can say is good luck all.

DD

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Well with electricity due to soar for us and not big business soon I am very skeptical about the longevity of this government if they dont try and curb their spending of our money whilst we cop all these higher charges for basic services.

Any Tassie investor would know they have just separated water and council rates so they can nudge the totals up over $100/yr.

Little massages like this are everywhere so watch your holding costs on IP's as they really cost more than most of us think.

Job decentralisation means finding those developements that cater to these locational changes and buying in appropriate areas nearby. Lots of research and busy times ahead.

All I can say is good luck all.

DD

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.