All Topics / Help Needed! / Self Managing House Sale

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of emej78emej78
    @emej78

Hey all :)

My mum is selling her home in Chiltern VIC in order to move closer to the family. She wants to sell the house herself (meaning, she wants me to do it for her lol) in order to save on real estate fees.
    She has a 2BR Residence, which is behind a Shop Front in the main street. There is no business running there currently, and hasn’t been one operating for a few years now. I am wondering basically how to best go about selling the property. I have never sold a property before, and am wondering if any of you guys manage you own sales here?

I am planning on advertising on RE.com.au and domain (via middleman), signage in shop window and side of house, and the occasional newspaper. But, I’m not really sure HOW to sell it. It is a unique property, so obviously isn’t something that the majority of buyers are looking for. I obviously want to get her the best price possible, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask everyone here :)

So, basically, the question is, if you were selling, how would you go about it?

Apologies for the broadness of the question. If you need further details, just PM me, or email me at [email protected]

Thank You

Elle

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Unique property to sell, 2 people involved who don't know how, without meaning to be impolite it sounds like the blind leading the blind. You could start with appraisals from 3 known local leading real estate agents, and then take at least a week choosing one. You could spend the $300 something on an independant valuation, talk to your local bank manager.  Google or other net search similar properties in other places to see how they are advertised. Sign nothing until you have discussed it with your accountant or solicitor as well. There will be sharks circling for the unwary so you need to get info to get wary.
    good  luck
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of emej78emej78
    @emej78

Thanks for the tips, I have actually done all of that already. We received 4 valuations from RE Agents, which varied a little, but were in the range Mum wanted, and fit in with what we had expected after researching local sales.
    We’ve already spoken to mum’s solicitor, and he is prepping everything for us. We haven’t done it before, but we’re not totally unwary ;)

I guess i was actually after information more specific to investors. Like, would it be worth advertising something like this in say Melbourne and Sydney, since we are regional.

Say, as an investor, what would be the things you would look at if you were considering purchasing the property, what questions would you have, etc etc. Just so I can be prepared
    For example, since it is both a shop and a unit, should we get costings of approximate rental income that could be received if rented together, seperately? Say, as an investor, what would be the things you would look at if you were considering purchasing the property, what questions would you have, etc etc. Just so I can be prepared

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear before, but having never purchased an IP myself, I’m not 100% sure what is looked for. I have some idea obviously, but was hoping for a few pointers and maybe would get some info I’ve missed.
    Someone looking for an IP is probably going to be our target market, so I figured there was no better place to ask than here!

Thanks again

Elle

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

As an investor I would be concerned that the shop has been empty for a few years. If I was buying commercial real estate I want to know that I can rent it out. Is the shop on a busy street? Is it close to other shops? What would make a business want to make this shop their location. If the shop was currently tenanted then the property would be a lot more attractive to me.

I think your idea of putting your property on RE.com and domain through a middleman is a good idea. This is the only way I search for property and I think the trend of people searching for property online is growing.

How big is the regional area that the property is in? I just ask because a lot of investors prefer to invest in towns of over 10,000 people. I think they see this as less risk and more chance of population growth.

My parents thought about selling their house themselves. Not because they had any idea about selling, but because they wanted to save the agent commission fee. I know that the most we could have got for that house ourselves would have been $800k, but the agent got $825k for the house. Even after paying the commission my parents walked away with more money than if they had sold it themselves. This is not always the case, but it was for them.

Another friend of mine tried to sell his block of land himself. He is a busy guy. He works 5 days a week, has a few businesses on the side and has a family. His attempt to sell the block didn’t have much interest. One of the reasons was that he was too busy to market it properly. They then got a real estate agent and sold it within the month. From their experience I can see that if you are a busy person it can sometimes be worth getting a real estate agent just to save you the stress of trying to sell it yourself.

But my 2 cents about marketing and selling the property:
    – If you are selling to investors then I would try to maximise the investment appeal. Give them ideas of rent for the property and the shop. Tell them reasons why it is a good investment. What makes it stand out from the rest.
    – If you are selling it as a home, then try to make it look as homely as possible. You want people to walk in and get emotionally attached to the property and thus pay more than it is worth :)
    – Take great photos – As people can easily search through thousands of properties online, try to make your property stand out with great photos. Personally when I am searching I like listings with lots of photos, because I can take a good look at the property and decide if it is for me or not before I even have to leave the house.

Good luck with the sale.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

@emej78

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the comments, thats exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for.
    The property is in a small historic town, pop is approx 1250 or so, but it has definitely had good constant growth. It’s located only about 15 mins from ALbury/Wodonga and is close to the new Woolworths Logic Centre, and other large factories which has been great for growth.
    The shop has been empty for the last few years by choice. My parents closed their hobby shop when dad got ill a few years ago, and have continued to use it as extra living space since then.
    The house and shop are located on the main street of Chiltern, which is pretty much at 100% capactity and has just had a supermarket development, and also a new Chemist move in. There are definite retail opportunities for the right business.
    I think there is definitely a possibility of getting 5-10% ROI, so I think if I do what you have mentioned and sell the features of the property well, we should be able to acheive the right price.

I’d be happy to have it sold through an agent, as they could probably squeeze a bit more out of it and get a higher sale price, but Mum is not interested, and refuses to see that fact, so I just have to suck it up and try to get the best possible outcome. If we can’t sell it on our own within a few months, maybe I’ll be able to get her to change her mind lol.

Thanks again for you input, is appreciated :)

Elle

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

What you need to to do is go beyond the work that real estate agents do. 

Pile on the facts and figures of the location, the town, the history, anything.    Especially put in a plan of the place – once people hear shopfront and residence, they want to know exactly the size and placement with dimensions.        You must put the address in your listing.  Explain why the commercial part was vacant and everything else that you previously wrote about.      Post all your taxes and insurance, water bills – go bananas.     Aim to have the longest listing on the website.      Information is good and it will eliminate many tyre kickers.    

REA skimp on information because what they want are phone calls to get more listings.     You have no reason to skimp on information.  You have every reason to write a book about the property.   

I agree with Ryan about photos.   Take a lot of good ones, put up as many as are allowed on the rea website and offer to email more if necessary.

Also, when you have open inspections, have them open for hours, not minutes.     Every day including Saturdays and Sundays.     Really outdo the agents – they can't do that but you can.  

Negotiation is a different matter – and once you get an offer, this will be the tough part.   You'll need to develop a rhinocerous' hide to deal with this one.   You need to be ready for those people who come in 10 minutes after your property has listed with an offer which expires one hour later (being on the other side, this is how I put pressure on sellers).   Know exactly what you want for your property and negotiate firmly.     Read a few books on negotiating perhaps.   I don't have any recommendations but there should be some out there which give you some ideas. 

All the best, and please put your property up here on this forum when it's ready.    

Profile photo of SandraLSandraL
    @sandral

Elle,

I would definitely recommend advertising this on-line to interstate investors. We at Landordschoice offer listings on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for landlords like yourself. I would also recommend getting rental appraisals for both shop and unit. Definitely explain in the ad why the shop has been vacant, as that would be a concern to investors .

Sandra
    Landlordschoice
    http://www.landlordschoice.com.au
    P : 1300 168 988 

@emej78

For those who were interested, find link below for property now up for sale. Has just gone on today. Am working on getting some better pics up there, but that’s it for now :)

Any tips are appreciated. If you have any queries, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Elle

http://www.homesales.com.au/buy/victoria/chiltern/house/hs5870.aspx

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Is there a floor plan? It looks quite 70’s style. We rented a unit behind a shop and you had to come in through the bathroom as we didn’t have access through the shop and getting our mail was a issue as well, we had to get a PO Box.
    Seems to be solid property – good luck

@emej78

Yeah, the property is kind of 70’s, was built in the 70’s. I would definitely agree a kitchen and bathroom makeover wouldn’t hurt. I can’t think of one thing that needs doing that isn’t aesthetic though, the house has been maintained consistently, and very well.

We don’t have a floor plan of the building, though I have been thinking that could be nice. Anybody know of anyone who will draw up a floor plan at reasonable prices?

Access for both the shop and the unit is great though. The Unit has it’s own front and rear doors, as does the shop. Were there to be 2 separate tenants, this wouldn’t be an issue at all.

Thanks for the comments

Elle :)

Profile photo of akirkakirk
    Participant
    @akirk

Hi Elle,

Your advertisment is very well written….good luck.  You could likely do the floorplan yourself – just grab some software (even Visio would do it), and a tape measure.

@emej78

Thanks Akirk, that’s a good idea. I’ll check that out :)

Elle

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.