All Topics / Help Needed! / Advertising on realestate.com.au if we self-manage?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of ClairepopvichClairepopvich
    Participant
    @clairepopvich

Hi,
    I am new to this forum, and am looking for some tips. Our tenants are moving out in 3 weeks (we self-manage) and I would like to find out how to best get new tenants quickly. Have on a previous occasion used domain.com.au and the local paper to advertise our rental property, and it took a long time to find tenants. I've heard from friends who use agents that realestate.com.au gets a lot more enquiries, does anyone know how do get an ad on there if we don't want to have an agent manage our property? My husband is a builder and we live near by, so really don't need a property manager . Does anyone have any other suggestions how to find tenats quickly? 

Profile photo of basbogbasbog
    Participant
    @basbog

Hi
    You can't advertise on RE.com, you need to be an agent to advertise

Barry

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Hi,
             This to is my dilemma.  I have a couple of properties I self manage and don't have any problems managing them.  My only problem is advertising.  Most people go straight to realestate.com and why wouldn't they.  It is hard to get exposure.  Even a private add in a paper and a sign don't have that much of an impact unless it is on a busy street. 

It would be great if real estate. com had a private rental area.

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

I self manage all my properties (I luv it) but when we need to find a new tenant we have an agent do it for this reason alone realestate.com. Agent  charges 1 weeks rent + GST and they do all the work (taking inquiries, ref checks, inspection report, photo's etc, etc).  Alot of agents try to charge 2 weeks but i tell them to get nicked. Now I have regular Agents who work for me now.

Participant
    @fredo_4305

Danny,
                   I have looked in to doing this…… However my thoughts are that an agent who isn't then going to manage the property has no invested interest in it to some degree.  They could give you any tennant to get the money.  To them it doesn't matter if the tennant turns out to be no good as they are not managing it hence not really their problem.

Is it just a matter of trust.  Have you had any bad experiences with the tennants they have passed on?

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

I know what you mean, but I have not experienced this. I go back to the same agents all the time. That's there business and REMEMBER ultimately you are the one that chooses your tenant's not the Agent. When they do all the searches and reference checks they come back to me  with all the info for me to make a choice. Agents are not that stupid to be doing things nasty!

In 25 years of being an investor I had 2 problem tenants. One trashed my place, $20K worth of damage. BUT I was insured and I got a total reno done fully paid by the Insurance Company, the place rented for $30pw more after that. I never blame my Agent for this bad one. We did all the checks necessary on him and all come up good. He just happened to have bad friends that took over the place and trashed it.

The other bad one was in my San Francisco condo. I  found the tenant (via a website http://www.craigslist.com) him, my Agent did all the checks and all was good. The first night he moved in, I had complaints after complaints about noise, I ended up serving him notice to leave. Upon leaving he did US$8,500 worth of damage, so my lawyer started proceedings against him. He paid up in full plus he paid for my flight to San Fran to inspect the damage and repair it.

i never blame my Agent for this. It's not there fault that this guy happen to go on a drug binge the night he moved in. I trust my Agents but I trust my own instincts better.

Profile photo of Marcus2009Marcus2009
    @marcus2009

Hi Claire,

there is a way to get on realestate.com.au even if you self-manage. Go to landlordschoice.com.au, they are licensed agents, so they put up your ad there and also on domain.com and do tenancy database checks for you. They also give you all the documentation you need, and from memory they charge $199 for that. I used them a few months ago when my tenants broke the lease and thought it was great. Good on you for self-managing, I found it a bit daunting at first, but it seems to be getting easier over time.

Profile photo of ClairepopvichClairepopvich
    Participant
    @clairepopvich

Hi, thank you all for your comments. 
    Dannnyde, I looked at the site you recommended, it's American? Seems like you are based in the USA?

Marcus, thank you for pointing out a way to get on realestate.com.au, I will have a look at landlordschoice.   

Profile photo of ClairepopvichClairepopvich
    Participant
    @clairepopvich

Hi,

just wanted to report back. We used Landlords Choice, and found a new tenant in just over a week! They did see the ad on realestate.com.au, so it was definitely worth advertising there.

Very happy, thanks so much for the tip, Marcus!

Profile photo of thirstythirsty
    @thirsty

Hi Marcus, You have also helped me out for any future searching. In the past I have used gumtree and rent.com.au. I think I will start using landlordschoice if I need to from now on.

Profile photo of andykirbyandykirby
    Participant
    @andykirby

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for sharing that tip. We're thinking of self-managing and was looking at exactly the same hurdle (i.e how to find your tenant).

Profile photo of Marcus2009Marcus2009
    @marcus2009

No worries, thirsty and andykirby, that's what this site is for! I just hope my tenants are staying put for a while, it's still a hassle when they leave.

Participant
    @fredo_4305

Are there any other companies that offer somthing similar to this?

Profile photo of dtrumpdtrump
    Participant
    @dtrump
    Clairepopvich wrote:
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, and am looking for some tips. Our tenants are moving out in 3 weeks (we self-manage) and I would like to find out how to best get new tenants quickly. Have on a previous occasion used domain.com.au and the local paper to advertise our rental property, and it took a long time to find tenants. I've heard from friends who use agents that realestate.com.au gets a lot more enquiries, does anyone know how do get an ad on there if we don't want to have an agent manage our property? My husband is a builder and we live near by, so really don't need a property manager . Does anyone have any other suggestions how to find tenats quickly? 

$199 and you can get a listing on realestate.com.au by yourself. Check this out:

http://www.landlordschoice.com.au/services.aspx

Profile photo of henry13aucklandhenry13auckland
    @henry13auckland

I remember that when I put ads at local news paper and gumtree for house to rent. I constantly received some text message from a mobile phone saying I could pay $99 to list my property at realestate.com.au.  I did not take down the mobile number and message. You can put your ads in gumtree now. Probably you will receive the text message shortly.

Profile photo of andrew191919andrew191919
    Participant
    @andrew191919

I thought I should update this old thread because private sales on realestate.com.au while still officially prohibited by REA are now a reality and something we facilitate every single day. Just so there is no more confusion,our company fought realestate.com.au successfully in 2011. We launched a very serious and very well documented complaint against realestate.com.au with the ACCC. In short we won a victory for all private sellers and at PropertyNow we have been helping private sales on realestate.com.au for about 8 years now.

So just to reiterate – you manifestly can be a for sale by owner seller and still appear on realestate.com.au with no commission payable.Our company provides just such a service in the full knowledge and acceptance of realestate.com.au

Profile photo of PropertyGutsPropertyGuts
    Participant
    @propertyguts

hi andrew – what about realcommercial.com.au   – do you have a similar system for that website.  As i self manage commercial property, but use an agent to secure a tenant, at a cost of first months rent.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.