All Topics / General Property / Property Bubble ?? lots of differing opinions out there.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Australia's property bubble: it's here

Date: March 25, 2010
    Publication:  Sydney Morning Herald (subscribe)

It's official: 60 per cent of investors believe Australia has a property bubble.

A confluence of housing shortages, low interest rates, speculative fervour and last year's move by the Rudd Government to relax foreign ownership rules on real estate have turbo-charged house prices.

But as John Maynard Keynes famously said: "A market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent," and those looking for an imminent correction will find little evidence for it in investor attitudes.

In the latest Investor Pulse survey, conducted jointly by BusinessDay and marketing research group Colmar Brunton, there is no indication that investor appetite for property will slow down soon.

When asked if it was a good time to buy an investment property, 67 per cent agreed that it was because the supply shortage would support rental and price yields. Another 21 per cent thought prices would stagnate and only 12 per cent believed that prices would fall.

On the future of the boom, 32 per cent could see it running another year, 44 per cent for two or more years, and 7 per cent forever. Contrary to recent years, respondents ranked Sydney as the strongest property market in the current cycle, followed by Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Darwin and Hobart.

This is all scary stuff. Investors played a key role in expanding the property bubble through the late 90s. In 1990 investment loans represented 16 per cent of Australian mortgages at $13 billion. By 2008 that figure had ballooned 2400 per cent to $310 billion, or 31 per cent of total mortgages. Investor attitudes matter.

Despite 71 per cent of investors hypothetically believing there could be a property crash, the more common attitude is that other factors will keep the momentum going. They rank the following factors in order of importance: housing shortages; low interest rates; foreign purchases of Australian property; speculative fervour; negative gearing and moral hazard.

The survey revealed, however, that moral hazard may be much larger than investors themselves admit, with 42 per cent expecting the Rudd Government to introduce another round of first home buyer grants if the current boom shows signs of ending.

The increase in foreign purchases also cannot be under estimated, following the decision last March by the federal government to relax its rules on property ownership. This abolished mandatory reporting of such acquisitions in a bid to ''enhance flexibility in the market''.

Before the change, foreign investment in Australian residential property had already started increasing, up 33 per cent to $20.4 billion. It is not known what the figures stand at in 2010 but there are suggestions that more than 30 per cent of homes auctioned are purchased by foreign speculators. If this is the case, it will dramatically add to the property bubble.

It is a potential political time bomb. Numerous readers have written in complaining that they are being priced out of the market by overseas bidders.

One Investor Pulse reader wrote recently: "It would explain the highly overpriced market and the reason why local wages are not enough to purchase the average house. To rely on high immigration to keep the economy temporarily out of trouble is one thing, but allowing this foreign speculation to keep Australians out of their own market should be opposed with urgency."

Another Investor Pulse reader wrote: "So much for Rudd's 'working families'. Australians should get priority over foreign investors for what limited housing we have. How can Australians compete when Chinese borrow at home at 1 per cent? The Australian property market is strong and doesn't need to be propped up. The Government should act now to stop this misguided and UN-Australian policy. Shame on you, Mr Rudd, for selling out on Working Families."

Investors are divided on possible solutions to the outsized price rises. A majority, 54 per cent, are against interest rate rises. When it comes to government policy, investors ranked cutting stamp duty as their best solution, just ahead of building more public housing and re-limiting foreign investment.

Cutting immigration and negative gearing ranked lower. Another solution was also clear in the fact that 52 per cent of investors admitted they would reconsider the value of an investment property if the government reversed the 1999 capital gains tax cuts.

Investors clearly acknowledged the need for government intervention with 91 per cent seeing no solution coming from the private sector. Half reckoned banks will not lend to developers because their exposure to mortgages is already too high. Most of the other half agreed rather with the statement that the banks see the risk in overvalued prices and want to keep the market tight.

There was little sympathy for younger Australians with 55 per cent of investors agreeing first-home buyers were best off saving a deposit to get into the property market and 24 per cent suggesting the young could buy on the city fringe.

Another 27 per cent of surveyed investors already owned an investment property and 16 per cent were are seriously considering buying one.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Interesting article Wealth. If there is a bubble doesn't really look like anyone is worried…………….

That is apart from all the NEGATIVE comments that followed the article. Such as immigration is the devil, the overseas buyers are the devil, landlords are the devil, property investing is a sin……………geez it just went on and on! Thank goodness there is a forum such as this for the investors and developers. Oh wait developers are the devil too!

A lot of the comments that followed thought that the bubble was going to pop any minute and then 'the market' was going to crash. Good for them! Hope is alive somewhere lol!

Keep em coming Wealth!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

IMHO, the only significance of a presumed 'bubble' is whether it bursts eventually or keeps growing. The price rises are worrying for those trying to get into the market. A short few months has made a lot of money for lucky investors while the poor FHB are forced further out, having to buy in a hole somewhere and driving many, many miles to work, or doomed to rent for an extended period of time.

As my friend once remarked, 'Affordable housing? Yeah, I know of a shack in a slum that's affordable.'

Perhaps in this case, the chance of a market collapsing as a result of bursting of that bubble is probably inversely proportional to the number of people thinking that a bubble exists. The more people talk about a property 'bubble', the hotter the market gets and the gains become greater.

Same goes with interest rates. The number of people deciding to fix is inversely proportional to how high the interest rates are. People seem to fix when they're at a high and then not fix when they are at an all-time low.

Not sure what others think here, but I'd like to be taught why the property market, and even the stock market went from complete doom and gloom early last year and reverse immediately into a boom over what seemed to be just overnight, with no change in global conditions. This is how some seemed to get caught out. People were standing on the sidelines thinking the market would crash further, only to see it reverse and head north for no apparent reason.

It is often cited that low interest rates and high demand are the reason for property prices heading upwards in today's market. I'm pretty sure that demand has been pretty good all along, and the cash rate was already very low (just 25 basis points above that of today) back in Dec 2008. So what exactly changed in Feb/ Mar 2009?

Sometimes I hear of people of my parents' generation talking about having bought a house perhaps 10-15 years ago for $70K in some middle Melbourne suburb that is now worth easily over $1 mil. Personally I think such gains will be unheard of in the future. I cannot imagine a $700K middle suburb house today being worth $10 mil in 10-15 years time! What about those $25 mil mansions in blue-ribbon suburbs? Would they then be worth over $250 million??! If our groceries inflated at a similar rate we'd be looking at boxes of cereal selling at $100 a pack!

It would appear that buying a house is just going to get harder for the average working Aussie.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah well look at petrol. I remember when it was 62 cents. That was only 12 yrs ago.

I am facing unaffordability myself. Cry for me here people. At the end of my current lease (Camberwell) I will be priced out of the market. Rents have risen by $300 a week for average house. (Just under $1000 a week) All the houses I want to buy are over 1.5 million. Oh despair, oh tragedy, whatever will I do. Housing is sooooooooooooo unaffordable.

Uhhh yeah. Do I work in the city? Nope. Does other half work in the city? Nope. Why do I live here? Well its a nice area etc. No my family isn't even close. Sooooooooooooooooo……..I have no real reason to live here other than it is a nice area to live.

When you think about it, how many other people are whinging and whining about affordability purely because they want to live in the middle of town, or the blue chip suburb with limited houses and nice trees.

I say get over it. I am tired of the chant. People could buy houses if they wanted to. People could live where they wanted to. They just don't want to do any work on a house or only have one garage or not be in the same street as the Jones'.

And as for those investors and developers hording all the housing stock and land they are just the devil aren't they! Whatever.
    Suck it up.

I would have done anything to buy my first house. Even live in Timbuktu. And I'm pretty sure I just shut my mouth and got on with it instead of crying about it.

So poor me, can I have a hand out?

Disclaimer – Please take all comments with a healthy dose of sarcasm.
    D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    DWolfe wrote:
    When you think about it, how many other people are whinging and whining about affordability purely because they want to live in the middle of town, or the blue chip suburb with limited houses and nice trees.

Agreed. Lofty ambitions can be a problem, especially in a society that 'wants it all' and 'wants it now'. Once at this forum I read a comment about why people preferred to live nearer the CBD even if they didn't actually work there. The comment was that some people need the comfort of lights and activity which is generally associated with the CBD. Of course you're also more likely to be able to eat or shop till later in the CBD, or at least there would be a good reason to be out of the house.

However, livability is a very real issue. People buy/ rent houses to live in, so shouldn't they be comfortable with where they live?

Everyone's definition of 'livability' will be different, but there is a general trend. It defines why people would rather be in St Kilda than Coober Pedy, for example, otherwise the prices might as well be the same and so would the demographics. The presence of shops, transport, restaurants, education, cinemas, or other things that support the 'lifestyle' of today's people. Not to mention that, today's people want these things (and their workplace) to be within easy walking/ commuting distance.

They work longer hours. They start work when it's dark and finish work when it's dark. Time is precious. They want to be able to catch up with friends at a trendy pub or restaurant, or visit a popular shopping center without having to deal with a hour of crazy traffic to get there. They want to spend more quality time with family, or the people that mean the most to them.

Prices are in turn dependent, at least in part, on livability, and/ or proximity to the CBD. People want their house to be in a livable suburb, a place where they actually feel relatively stress-free, rather than a dangerous isolated hole out there where you would be found dead and dismembered within 2 weeks of moving in, or to be living in a place amongst a throng of deros.

When looking at houses or suburbs in which to buy, I sometimes think we should go back to the basics: A house is a roof over your head. It is supposed to give you shelter, comfort, convenience, allow you to relax, hang loose, be with family…good neighbourly spirit. It is supposed to be near where your friends are, and where you work. So, where would you like to live? Just my thought.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Nice, well thought out reply! Ps you wont be dismembered!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    DWolfe wrote:
    Ps you wont be dismembered!

Haha, after nearly getting involved in that road rage incident, I've just become a little hypervigilant!

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold
    fWord wrote:

In all honesty, i try and avoid posting unless i have something of real value to add, but this thread did press one of my buttons. Furious 

I very recently bought a 2 Bed unit on the Central Coast for 240K.

I am a CBD Worker and am looking at a travel time of between 1:05 – 1:20 depending on train connections.

Why did i do it  ? (might i add a bunch of my mates have asked me this question)…  because it gets me in the market !!!

None of our parents started off in 3 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom, 2 Garage Mini Mansions on the North Shore…  they all bought what they could afford (generally a 2 bed fibro shack), worked two jobs to pay if off and over time, upgraded.

The biggest problem with Gen Y, Gen Z is that we all want today, what our parents took 30 years to achieve…

NB. In regards to the property bubble, i am a big fan of Michael Yardney's views…   (i hope that name is not a swear word on this forum).

A lot of the baby boomer generation are looking to retire within the next ten years and they are living in their greatest asset (their 3 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom, 2 Garage Mini Mansion on the North Shore)

In order to free up some cash, and get away from the big empty house that is no longer needed as the kids have now all moved out, they are going to sell up and buy a nice little unit or townhouse close to the major capital cities because that's where their kids are, but far enough away that they have some 'lifestyle'.

Add to that a Gen Y, Gen Z generation that doesn't want to mow lawns, rather just wants to rent and remain fairly mobile…   and my view is that big houses at the top end of town will plateau whilst the smaller, unit or townhouse will prosper.

Ps. Final Comment, because i only borrowed 240K, which i can make repayments on without any real difficulty, i expect to be back in the market for my first IP within 12 months.   Cheesy

Participant
    @dwolfe

Matt,

Do you think that the increase in "aged care facilities" such as they are building around here, (Think pictures of grey haired, wine sipping, Mercedes driving, gents and ladies) will fill part of the gap and become a new trend? I don't see older people flooding out of this particular area hence the shortage in available stock for rent and for sale.

I was talking about people who want to live in the middle of town who don't really need to be there. If you have small kids and you are squished into an inner city apartment because you want to live in the city……why? I'm talking about older people who still live in crumbling mansions because they want to live in a particular area……….this is a catch 22. They still live there so you cannot develop the land to allow 3 smaller easy care units on the block, which if designed the right way they could happily live in for much longer!

I used to drive 1 hr each way to work and back, then when my car died (through poverty) I caught 2.5 hrs worth of public transport because my parents could afford to buy, and I could afford to rent there. Many people think more than 20 mins is too far.

I get tired of the affordability thing because when people talk about affordable everyone has a picture of the perfect house in the perfect spot. It is never "oh, well I can afford a house, needs a bit of work".

Everyone seems to turn their noses up at structurally sound houses that might need a bit of a scrub and a new kitchen. I think the Australian dream has changed to mean, I want to own a fantastic house, with a pool, 2 nice cars, have my kids in the top private schools and wear expensive clothes, oh and have great holidays all the time. Houses are affordable if you put money into your mortgage and don't spend every single dollar on lifestyle as well.

I watched some people I know look for 2 years to find "the house" they ended up with a house and paid 200k more for it as the market had moved in the mean time.

Think about it. And some first home buyers are picky picky picky. My brother and his girlfriend included!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    Matt_Arnold wrote:

Add to that a Gen Y, Gen Z generation that doesn't want to mow lawns, rather just wants to rent and remain fairly mobile…   and my view is that big houses at the top end of town will plateau whilst the smaller, unit or townhouse will prosper.

This makes sense to some degree. However once we factor in the 'record immigration rates' or 'population growth' that some pundits talk so often about, and these immigrants having some serious cash to boot, I don't think the big houses in blue ribbon suburbs will plateau in terms of value. Furthermore, these houses apparently change hands quietly, never seen on the market, never reported to the REIV.

On the topic of units or townhouses getting popular however, what do you think of apartments in the inner ring? I understand there's talk of 'oversupply' of apartments in the inner city, but is that the same for apartments further out, say 7kms from the CBD?

Participant
    @dwolfe

Current median where I am is just under 2 mil.

Call me when it plateaus!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @matt_arnold
    fWord wrote:

This makes sense to some degree. However once we factor in the 'record immigration rates' or 'population growth' that some pundits talk so often about, and these immigrants having some serious cash to boot, I don't think the big houses in blue ribbon suburbs will plateau in terms of value. Furthermore, these houses apparently change hands quietly, never seen on the market, never reported to the REIV.

Fair call… Plateau may have been a bit of a strong word.  Probably a better way of putting it would be that i feel the % growth will be better at the lower end unit / town house than the higher end '3 Bed House and Land'.

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

I laugh at people who are always trying to 'keep up with the jones' and have nothing to fall back on when times get tough. I own three iPS and a small three bedroom home all in larger regional towns.My car is eleven years old. But aside from my mortgages, i have no debts.

When we go on holidays we go camping and stay at some fantastic caravan parks with a powered site, so I can still have my TV hit when the chidlren go to sleep. The place we stayed at in Echuca had fantastic games room, shower block full kitchn facilities, BBQs and two pools, basketball, voleyball, putt putt golf, river walks etc. My self, my three children and my niece stayed for four days and it cost less than $250.00 and this was in January 'Peak Holiday time!! We had an absolute ball yet some friends turn there nose up at staying in a caravan park and would rather have no holiday, or worse, go into debt to pay for one!

Matt, my mum used to make the same comment that you have regarding 'younger people of today' They do wnat what their parent's have, but don't appreciate that it may have taken twenty or thirty years to get to that particular property and the features it has.

Sonya

Participant
    @matt_arnold
    DWolfe wrote:
    Do you think that the increase in "aged care facilities" such as they are building around here, (Think pictures of grey haired, wine sipping, Mercedes driving, gents and ladies) will fill part of the gap and become a new trend? I don't see older people flooding out of this particular area hence the shortage in available stock for rent and for sale.

fWord wrote:
    On the topic of units or townhouses getting popular however, what do you think of apartments in the inner ring? I understand there's talk of 'oversupply' of apartments in the inner city, but is that the same for apartments further out, say 7kms from the CBD?

In all honesty guys, i'm on a massive learning curve… 

As such, although i'm willing to back myself by saying that although the Baby Boomer generation was predominately attracted to the traditional '3 Bed House and Land', the upcoming Gen Y, Gen Z's will be predominately attracted to 'town houses / units',  i really don't know enough to be confident to make claims in regards to specific areas etc…

Participant
    @fword
    Matt_Arnold wrote:

Fair call… Plateau may have been a bit of a strong word.  Probably a better way of putting it would be that i feel the % growth will be better at the lower end unit / town house than the higher end '3 Bed House and Land'.

That is something that could conceivably happen in the future. There might have been some recent articles suggesting that detached houses on land experienced greater % growth compared to units, but I won't be surprised to see this reverse in time to come. It's back to the point of people working longer hours I suppose, and them wanting something that is lower maintenance. On the other hand, a family with young kids will probably still want a backyard for their kids to play in.

If we see an increasing proportion of DINKS in the future, or young professionals who stay single for an extended period of their working life (or perhaps all their life), then maybe even apartments will become the mainstay property. I can't imagine though, how many blocks of apartments will actually be built. Most folk would want to preserve their suburb's heritage and will campaign till doom's day against apartments on their street.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Don't worry Matt not looking for gospel truth here, just your opinion.

Go Sonya you rock, these are memories your kids will have forever, and it is called quality time!

Hope everyone can put up with my ranting! BTW I got a great bit of opinion through from Brutal Art's (go Christianb) newsletter which said that not only had prices gone up the average block size had shrunk. Pay more for less.

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    sonyasal wrote:

Matt, my mum used to make the same comment that you have regarding 'younger people of today' They do wnat what their parent's have, but don't appreciate that it may have taken twenty or thirty years to get to that particular property and the features it has.

It appears the Gen Y (of which I am one) and Gen Z cop quite a bit of fleck from older generations who blame these kids as being impulsive, lacking in foresight, lacking patience etc. But I'm going to stick my neck out and defend them.

My belief is that society makes the person, not the other way around. I think that society and its expectations are the reason why we're seeing supposed 'flaws' in the Gen Y and Z people. These days the only three words I know are 'Faster, Faster, Faster!!!' Other suggestive connotations aside, I think this is a true representation of today's society. The younger people are getting this lobotomized into their brains from day one.

There's only 24 hours in a day, but people are cramming ever more things into their schedule. Speed is a necessity, not an optional extra. Slow boat is a dead boat. Gone are the days of handmade quality. Gone are the days of relaxed coffee sipping and newspaper reading. In comes human 'robots' working at the fastest possible speed, teeth bared and climbing over each other's shoulders to gain the boss's favour just so that they can keep their job!

Let's consider how most of the spending in our lives actually occurs. *Swipe* And the money is transferred. We can 'rock up' to an Ebay auction mere seconds before it ends, place a bid in a flash and buy it sight unseen. We pay electronically, again a transaction taking only seconds. Facebook and email exists and is popular because people want real-time updates, not snail mail that's days in coming. What about the toll roads? We drive under the gantry point, and *beep*, we've just spend $5.

I work as a veterinarian in a large clinic at RSPCA in Burwood, and we have hundreds of procedures to perform everyday with emergencies coming in all the time that need immediate attention. We have owners that call us literally just a couple of hours after they have dropped an animal off, wondering if the animal is ready for pick up.

Geez, it's surgery mate, not a fast food restaurant!

Personally I think Gen Y and Gen Z people appear to lack patience and want everything quickly because the same is expected of them.

Oops…sorry again, just my thoughts.

Participant
    @fword
    DWolfe wrote:
    BTW I got a great bit of opinion through from Brutal Art's (go Christianb) newsletter which said that not only had prices gone up the average block size had shrunk. Pay more for less.

And the size of the average house has grown, which means even less of the 'Aussie Backyard'.

I think it's only a matter of time before those of us still holding on to blocks of land 700sqm and above are going to be sitting very pretty.

@sonyasal

Fword,

Sometimes the speed of the world makes me want to say 'stop the world, i want to get off' just so i have time to catch my breath.

In defence of Gen Y and Z ( i think my nieces are genZ) My niece has just turned 17 and wanted to go on a school excursion, her parents said that would be fine if she paid for it. So she worked nights and weekends whilst attending school during the day and saved up the $3,500 to go. She left on Saturday for 14 days and from the text messages she has sent, she is having a great time. She has worked and saved for things that she has wnated since she was 14, as her mum wasn' t prepared to finance her 'brand label lifestyle'. She appreciates what she has so much more because she has worked for it and waited until she could afford it.

there are many people in all age groups and demographics who have positive and negative aspects to their make up, i like that most of the people on this forum genuinely want to support each other on the journey to financial security thru various types of property investing.

Sonya

@sonyasal

Hey, come to regional areas, my block is 975sqm, and don't i know it when i have to mow the lawn!!! I live 7 minutes from work 3 minutes for two shopping malls, cinema, bowling alley, numerous restaurants and free parking!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.