All Topics / Help Needed! / Recently Divorced, how do I rebuild with $100K?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Sorry, your post said you were desperate and confused etc , glad you're better now and cool with your head on.
    Plan carefully.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of businessglobalbusinessglobal
    Participant
    @businessglobal

I would find something I could reno or add value to and do it and mke soem money and keep going forward.
    I left a relationship when I was 26, came back to OZ with a backpack and $600 aud, strong work ethic, and no doom and gloom, positive attitude, still friends with the ex, now Im 38 and have a lot more than $600, in actual fact can stop work tomorow if I wish, but I loe what I do in property, never a dull day, always action, adventure, meet new people, laugh, go out, see different things.

Life is short no use worrying too much, maybe a total new adventure on the way for you, the most important thing is to not get emotional, waste energy fighting about money, learn how to mke it and keep it

Bye

Profile photo of oo3coo3c
    @oo3c

Well at times I'm am desperate…depends on the ex….if he's in a bad mood…hell yeah…I wanna leave town asap!!!…but things have been reasonably good for the last few days…so I'm cooling down and taking it more slowly…but I know…soon down the track…it's going to hit me…and I'm going to be in the shi@#$. I've gotta have options now to consider…so that I'm not sooooo confused when the time comes…..at the moment because I do Day care at home….he's letting stay in the house to continue to work…but soon…he's going to pay me out and OUT I have to go….so I'm trying to get my own place now but, no-one will give me any bond assistance…so I'm more or less on my own. But I don't care….I'm a very capable woman…my kids are so well behaved…I can do this…..I don't need a high wage paying man!!!!!

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Where do you live at the moment? that might help us to knowwhat areas close by you may be able to afford

Sonya

Participant
    @businessglobal

Why cant you get bond assistance from Dept of Housing? maybe you should go to speak to a Womens Coomity Support group and they often can assist or Salvation Army counsellors, they know all the options/ rights and community support possibilities.
    Sorry to hear about your cimcumstances, but all things for good reason and maybe you are meant to move somewhere, start a new life and hopefully meet someone nice- as some very good men out there- I have one thank god- he is loyal, trustworthy, great cook, even tempered, smart, has all hair and teeth, he is very religious and a very good person- so I am really blessed, although it hasnt always been smooth sailing- Im a sagitarius,a nd he is a pedantic virgo.

@oo3c

I live in Katherine, 350km south of Darwin….I cant get bond assistance because I still have access to the house…because my husband has allowed me to continue to do family day care here…at the moment he is staying with his friends…but in a couple of months…he'll move back in and I will have to find somewhere else to live and work.

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Horses for courses…

I would buy for both CG and CF in each purcchase. Buying 10-20% under market value with 8-10% yield, means it wont impede on your lifestyle, and you will be able to pull your capital out and redeploy into the next purchase.

Profile photo of crustycrusty
    Participant
    @crusty

oo3c  Hi, before I start a property portfolio I would put say 10-20 K in a share portfolio  which can be  used as a buffer, they can  be cashed out quickly and easily, give posslble high capital growth .  They may  give you more confidence to buy higher risk, higher return property.  They wil still count as asetts on loan application.  If you follow Ryan advice, which I consider irresponsible, I think a strategy which include a buffer is a must. Cheap houses are usally cheap for a reason.                                       My prefered strategy  is to look for land in towns over 10,000 pop, find places that have limited supply,  in the most desirable location, put down a 10% deposite, usaully to a devolper who needs to get some sales under his belt. Settlement is after a building  permit is obtained.  I should get a building permit on current property in weeks, purchased feb 09  for  100,000 but only paid 10,000 deposite, money was borrowed,  after tax deduction on interest , cost   $500 dollars+ 700 for solicitor to draw up contract.  Costs so far is $1,200 the land is now worth  $150,000+.   I was planning on buying  3+ of these properties,                   As I had little knowledge about property and about  to commit some considerable money to it I  went to 3 semminars they all told me   B.S.  dont  buy in regional areas , smart people buy  within 12K of  a capitol city.   So silly me Listened to their advice  bought a property through a person who claims to be a best selling author it yeilds 25%  less than what they said their minimuim yeilds would be, 3.3 instead of 4.4  took over 2  months to find a tennant, and now have to work to pay for it. Luckily I partly ignored these  gurus advice and  bought  at least one property that they said was a stupid thing to do.
    , Just wish I could have bought more but the banks arent very co-operative after buying the negative geared melbourne property             One of the gems this agency offered to me at a bargain below market value,latter want to auction and sold for 13% less   Another time also bought land found only 2 blocks available so I bought them both sold one for 30% profit with in 3 weeks didnt even have to pay stamp duty.  This was also in an area where the experts tell you not to buy.                                                                                       So   my   advice is dont listen  to advice.     Seems to me all these"proprty educators' just want to haze you to their particular niche in the markrt place.        Keep your eyes open ,  dont rush in to anything just to spend your money . When Oportunity presents it self  be prepared to act when it does. It can be any where but probably not where most people say it will be.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

@oo3c

OK everyone bear with me….I am extreemly inexperienced…and as some say…green!!! BUT…….

Nathan-B what is CG and CF ?

Crusty – when you say……. 'limited supply'….of housing…right? And how do you know if its the most desirable location if you're not a local? And…..'put down 10% deposite, usaully to a devolper who needs to get some sales under his belt.' what's he developing? more housing? so if he is developing some units…put down 10%…right?
     "purchased feb 09………Costs so far is $1,200"…….. don't you mean $11200, cause the deposit was out of your pocket right? 
    " One of the gems this agency offered to me at a bargain below market value"………………………. how does an agency offer you something like this? I can't see me being offered something like this.
    "Another time also bought land found only 2 blocks available so I bought them both sold one for 30% profit with in 3 weeks didnt even have to pay stamp duty." How did you get away with not paying stamp duty? Don't you have to sell after a certain period to get away with stamp duty?                                                                  

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

CG – Capital Gains
    CF – Cash Flow

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

oo3c, wow. Im on the other side of your situation. She moved on after we had amassed a sizable property portfolio. Just told me she had had enough after 18 years and boom, the dream has ended.

The settlement was that as I kept the house I was to give her a big settlement to buy hers. I took out $450k extra in loans on the IP's which meant the cashflow died from the Ip's to pay the mortgage on my home.

So now instead of comfortable I have a huge personal mortgage and my business is very quiet. I would agree with most here in that you buy a unit or house you can value add and sell for profit.

I had a deal available to my clients last week in Cairns. A fire sale of a 2 storey house for $180k, all it needed was a good paintjob, the resale would have been in the $220k vicinity after spending $5k on it and dada!!! Equity or cash.

I couldnt get anyone on it before it went to auction. These are the sorts of things you need to find, pay someone to do the reno and sell it. Make 20-30k after costs and repeat x 4 each year for 2 or 3 years.

Why arent I doing it?? I need the cash first, so I will have to bite the bullet, sell off some of mine that aren't producing and then cashed up practice what I preach.

Kids are vital for both parents health and well being, but taking care of yourself financially and mentally will mean they see you in a better light.

Good luck on your journey, you can survive and with self confidence and pride.

DD

@oo3c

Thanks Ryan…dah!!!
    DD…sorry to hear that…was she 40?
    If so man…i am so suprised that a majority or women do this around 40…weird….this is what my husband said to me once…cause i want to renovate and make a profit and sell..he said…why spend $20K to upgrade the kitchen or bathroom…when your only going to get that $20K back when you sell…is that true…if i spent $20k upgrading the bathroom….will it only add $20 K to the value of the house? If I spent $50 K upgrading the wet areas…will it only add $50K to the value of the property?

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Hey oo3c,

I was listening to Steve McKnight the other day (so this comes from his mouth not my experience) and he said that you want to buy structurally sound ugly properties. He said (I think more as a rule of thumb than anything) that if you can’t see it, then it doesn’t add as much value as it costs. For example, restumping, fixing termite damage in the walls. If you can’t see it then it is likely it will not add as much value as you put into it. However, if you can see it (like a kitchen and bathroom) then there is the chance of adding value.
    s for the $20k on adding value or not, it really depends. I know that is not what you want to hear, but if you know what you are doing you could spend $20k on a new kitchen and bathroom and add a heap of value to the property. If you don’t know what you are doing then you might not add value.
    My parents recently sold their house and they weren’t willing to redo the kitchen. So we bought new handles for the doors and we painted over the timber skirtings. All it cost us was less than $100 and the real estate agents came back 2 months later and thought it was a new kitchen!!!
    So if you know what you are doing, then yes a kitchen and bathroom can sell a house. We got my parents house valued at $730k-$750k just before we renovated. After we spent 2 weeks and $1,000 on the property it sold for $825k. That could be the market moving very quickly (which it was) but a lot of it (I think) was the presentation.

So to conclude a long winded explanation. Spending $20k can make you your money back and some if you use it wisely. Why else would so many people spend money and time renovating for profit?

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

@oo3c

I'm sooo confussed still over where to go…sydney or adelaide…..i know adelaide is cheaper….but….i have a very close friend in sydney as well…adelaide for financial reasons or sydney for personal reasons…which one would be more wiser…surely what i could do in adelaide i should be able to do in sydney ay? Surely i could find reasonable property in sydney like in adelaide? Should i buy all my furniture second hand, for my new place or get the odd nicer sofa or dining table?  My husband earns ALOT of money…and i'm walking away from it all…into nothing…i admit i do feel alittle embarrassed having friends over with ugly furniture…but at the same time….i dont want to waste money…this is all i have. Man I cant believe how nitty gritty i'm becoming or have become!!! I know what you'll say…gotta make sacrifices, tell me….if you were in my shoes….$100K   no job for probably 1-2 months…no car..no furniture…2 kids under 9…how much would you spend on establishing a home for yourself and the kids….and how much would you strictly keep to reinvest?

Participant
    @businessglobal

I would just start out with the basics- dont waste money moving stuff and removal fees – just take the basics clothes, computer, you buy lots of good things cheap on ebay, deals direct.com.au, garage sales
    I left my ex years ago when I was 26 yrs old and came back to OZ with a backpack and $600 aud to my name after 6 yrs- I couldnt be bothered worrying about anything, fights, etc or being upset, or worrying about material things-
    starting  again fresh can also be great- you can shop, choose littel bargains, save up for things and you earn them and they are yours- no use fighting over a couch or spending a fortune to move it

you can dress things up a lot also with a few rugs, pics, throws, pot plants etc- you are actually better off than a lot of ladies.

I do a lot of charity work and some ladies leave with nothing, not even 1 cent, and they are escaping violence.
    physical or mental etc, there are so many organisations out there that can assist you also and support groups for women.

Depends what work you do as to where you move really- both cities are nice, and Adelaide is not so much traffic, cheaper, and maybe a safer place for the kids to grow up also-
    Sydney has gone to the dogs a bit with violence, drugs,
    prices are ridiculous, traffic a shambles, graffiti, dirty– I'm from Sydney, but have seen the major decline

Have you thought about Brisbane or Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast- I moved up here 8 yrs ago and love it

Good luck- just chill, move asap, and get into a calm, peaceful environment with no dramas and be happy- life is very short

Profile photo of options_mentoroptions_mentor
    @options_mentor

I agree it is best to preserve your capital and not to risk it on trying regain your former property levels too quickly. Some of the best property advise I received when I was starting out was don't borrow too much. this is why I really love Property Options because they allow you to move into the property market in much bigger ways than your capital or income would otherwise allow. Options can do this because they allow you to acquire property, to control the property and to sell the property without the need to take out a mortgage. We have been using Property Options to control million dollar properties and to put those properties up for sale and we have also been showing and coaching other people how to do it also. Property Options is what Donald Trump used to build his fortune and he did it from a position of being millions of dollars in debt to being millions of dollars ahead.

Profile photo of asaboveasabove
    Participant
    @asabove

You effectively have a contract with the ex to raise your children between you. Just as you don’t always like the people you work with sometimes you just have to work with them. I would not move without his permission and consultation with the children.
    There are more important things in life than money.
    Assuming all are cool with the idea. negative gearing will be added to your income when the CSA calculates your Child support BUT negative gearing on things other than residential property are not added back into your income.
    I would look very closely at Positive gearing or or investments other than residential.
    I wish my wife had have moved away. Then i would have been able to settle quickly. and the financial strain and lack of support would have brought her back to town. I love my kids and I’m so glad I am am a big part of their lives.
    I would rather be broke and have them than rich without them.
    The financial cost of her sending them back to me for holidays would have brought her undone.
    Best of luck

@oo3c

Thanks you all give me good ideas….with this separation going on…i feel totally spaced out…i can't focus…some times i can't even think or make a decission…i feel so stupid…i'm usually in control and very smart….i'm thinking of changing my job now…so that i can work and study…like i said….i planned to live with him forever…i gave up my studies to care for the kids and the home…he continued his studies and now earns heaps…i'm afraid and excited at the same time….BUSINESSGLOBAL  – you mak perfect sense…removal fees would cost me $5-6 K…could save that for a good lounge and dinning suite. And please tell me the names of the support groups…i don't know any…never needs support before.
    OPTIONS-MENTOR – I dont know much about property options…but when i get a moment I'll check out the link you sent…thanks.
    ASABOvE – I'm trying to maintain a good positive relationship with my husband for the children's sake…..i mentioned before, if he lets me relocate with the kids, i'll agree not to touch his super….so all is cool so far. I will never get between him and the children…i just cant be with him anymore….its like I'm in a leaky boat that's slowly, but progressively sinking and no-one will help me keep it afloat…and I'm getting extreemly tired trying to save it…if i give up..it'll sink…but still, no help…so I'm jumping ship!!! I'm too tired now…i can't work it any more…i want a rest.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

This is a hollywood plot, right ?

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@oo3c

Wat????? weird!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.