All Topics / Help Needed! / Private House Sales

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of kwjegateskwjegates
    @kwjegates

Hi All

I have been a member for a while and really enjoy reading the post and have learned heaps from you all.

I am selling my house privately and have elected to do this over the Internet and have some basic signage out the front and in the local paper…..I have time on my hands hence have chosen this option over an agent

I was curious to find out ways other Prop Investors raise the profile of their property when selling privately?

Regards.

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

I have a client that had their house on the market for 6 months. They had approx 8 offers but rejected them all.

After a couple of agents and no sale they printed their own brochures and handed them out at local auctions. Within 2 weeks they had three offers, all within their price range, obviously they took the highest.

If people miss out at local auctions at similar prices – they are in the market. If you grow some balls and and approach these buyers – you will be doing more than 95% of agents.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Agents put ads in the paper, not because it gets them results…but because it raises the profile of their agency. People search for houses on the internet now, not in the paper. So maximise your internet profile. Put your listings on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au (by far the two biggest property search engines). Put in some great pictures and explain what the buyers are getting. Point out the things that make your house different (and better) from every other house in that area.

Can you put a link to your listing in this post? I would love to see your house and what you are asking for it?

ps. If the house is cash flow positive maybe I can list it on my site for you.

Ryan McLean
    http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au
    Positive Cash Flow Properties Are Just a Click Away

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of kwjegateskwjegates
    @kwjegates

Hi Banker…..great idea re going to auctions and handing out the flyers…..will give it a go.

Ryan ….didnt know that domain and realestate.com where available to private sellars……will look into it and give it a go

Great advice from both of you…..I have put the link in here as Ryan suggested and would appreciate any feedback……Kevin

http://www.homesales.com.au/buy/new-south-wales/blaxland/house/hs3706.aspx

Profile photo of young_investor1988young_investor1988
    @young_investor1988

You should be able to post your property on domain.com.au as a private seller, but realestate.com.au is reserved exclusively for real estate agents. There is another site called http://www.myhomeisforsale.com.au which is you sign up for will get you onto realestate.com.au….. may be worth a look!

Internet is the most powerful tool now when selling a property, so a really well thought out description of the property matched with some really good photos of the home will set you well on your way to getting it SOLD!

Best of luck!

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Hi,

kevin, this is a lovely area of the world. I would have mentioned that the property has an updated kitchen are the bathrooms also updated? Perhaps even mention that it is within waliking distance to bothe Blaxland and Glenbrook stations and Glenbrook lagoon and restaurants/cafes in Glenbrook. Saying that it is 'close  to' something has different meaning for everyone. Saying it is 15 minutes walk may mean that people who haven't got a car or who have only one car may be more interested.

Just a suggestion,

Good luck

Sonya

Participant
    @ryan-mclean

@ Kevin – If you are determined to sell yourself then I would do everything you can to get it on domain and realestate.com.au because this is where most people go. I would NEVER go to a site like homesales.com.au to search for a property…there wouldn’t be enough listings to make me interested.

So if you have to do it yourself then work hard to get your listing on those two sites.

Ryan McLean
    http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au
    Positive Cash Flow Properties Are Just a Click Away

Email Me

@kwjegates

Thanks all for your advice….I will change the for mat to reflect the updated kitchen and bathroom and note the proximity to services (great advice I must admit)

Looking at getting on to domain and other sites after Easter and should see profile accelerate then…..That said have had a good open house today and expecting an offer soon (fingers crossed)

This site is great in that everyone has positive ideas to assist as opposed to reasons why it wont work…..love that positive vibe.

I also had the chance to go to Steve's property update in Sydney…..great night and well worth the effort and minimal outlay.

Participant
    @ryan-mclean

I missed the property update. Had a baby a couple of weeks ago and forgot to get a ticket. I will definately be going to the next one. The cost is nothing…$30. Glad you had a good time.

Keep us updated and let us know when you get any offers/ make a sale.

Email Me

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi kjegates.

I thought I'd add this though it isn't directly related to advertising a private sale.  It deals with the difficulty of being truly dispassionate and objective when selling your own property, and the tendency for potential buyers to be a bit nervous when
    dealing directly with the owner.

I think selling successfully yourself may hinge on how you handle the open inspections, just as much as on the advertising.
    I have been to a few private opens where the owner/seller has been very off-putting (though hilarious) in their efforts to sell
    their beloved home.  I remember my own father proudly telling prospective purchasers that the wallpaper was hung by my mother, as the buyers examined it more closely with suspicion (cringe!)

We recently inspected a property where the old man who owner it showed it to us personally.
    He did everything from  a) demonstrating all the home-made cupboards he'd made with a great deal of pride and flourish, b) discussed his first wife at length, to the annoyance of the second wife who was within earshot, and c) ended by giving us a demonstration of his dance moves complete with music in the lounge/dance studio!!  I know you aren't contemplating doing this, but maybe an objective friend/relative could do the opens for you? I have known others to do this.   Just a thought.

Regards, G.

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

You can get it on the big internet sites with http://www.landlordschoice.com.au/

Post more photos – bathroom?  Bedrooms?   More outside shots – street  view with the neighbours' house in too.  Do what RE agents can't be bothered doing.   As a self seller you have to go beyond what they do because you can – it's not costing you any more.    Write more.   The more details the better, and the people who turn up will already have a good details about the place.

I agree with above poster who says that people are wary of going into homes being sold by the owner.    It's way better to have someone else there who doesn't have a passionate interest in the house – like a friend.       I can't  stand listening to how wonderful a house is from the owner – REagents are bad enough.   I already know within 30 seconds what a house is like.    I just want to go in, take a look and make up my own mind without the constant verbal diarrhea from the sellers.

Open home times – it's interesting in Australia how short the open times are.    Do what they do in the USA – open it up from 1 pm to 5 pm.  Keen buyers spend their weekends scrambling around trying to get into each open house at the right time – if they can slot  you in  easily somewhere between the ridiculously short opens at the other houses then they will.  It's the one advantage self sellers have and yet they never seem to take advantage of it.  

Hope this helps – good luck. 

Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Hey Kevin,

Keep us in the loop and let us know how this goes for you. It would be a great case study so everyone reading this thread can learn.

Email Me

@kwjegates

Hi All

I have now listed with Domain and had an immediate response (well within 4 hours anyway)…..have a visit planned for tomorrow morning at 9.00 and then the open house on Saturday…….I am looking also at extended hours for the open home (in a F/N) as suggested by Singer and will let you all know how that goes.

I am surprised at the level of interest a sign out the front has generated (and for a very small outlay of $100) as well as a small add in the classifieds

Will post an update in a week or so as to how it has gone……I must say to date it has been good and some great ideas generated within this thread

KG

Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Hey KG,

If you could, when people call or visit the open house ask how the found the property. Then we can all learn what works the best. Is it the sign? The newspapers? The internet?

Email Me

@kwjegates

Hi All

Been a while, but my property just exchanged at the price I was after.

Cant thank the team at http://www.landlordschoice.com.au/ for getting this onto both Domain and Realestate.com

The election slowed it down a bit, but no damage as once it was decided (including the 17 extra days)…..it was back into full swing

Soon to be cashed up and to start the next cycle of the PI

Best of luck all

K

Profile photo of Napiers Financial Services Group PTY LTDNapiers Financial Services Group PTY LTD
    @napiers-financial-services-group-pty-ltd

If I were you I would look at someone like GoGecko (http://www.gogecko.com.au/) to list your property with as their commission is capped at $5950 so you know it wont cost you any more than that no matter how much you want for your property , and also saves you all the running around. Also selling your property privately I could imagine would be time consuming ( even though I read you have time on your hands but as mentioned someone know someone who has ahd it on privatley for 8 months that is a long time to be waiting for a buyer!). I think its a small % of people would have the confidence to buy privatley and potentially you could be turning away a lot of potential buyers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.