All Topics / Value Adding / illegal Extention on home??????

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of peterpithpeterpith
    @peterpith

Hi Guys,

I bought a home and completed a a small reno on kitchen and bathroom.

How ever the house has a room which has been extended onto the kitchen area and has been done without a permit.

I now want to sell the place but Im scared someone might question the illegal extention which was there when i bought the place. Im silly for not asking the agent when I first purchased the house. This extention looks like it's been done 10 to 15 years ago.

Can someone help me… What do I do???

Regards,

Peter.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi,

Why don't you give the council a call and ask them if you can get a permit, or a backdated permit for this. You may find that in this area it was common to have dodgy extensions done. I think one of mine may face this problem later on too. I would (and may have to later) approach the council, get someone to come out if need be to inspect and try and get a planning/building permit for it. All you can do is ask. The worst case will be if the extension does not meet building standards and then you need to pour money into it. Maybe get a a builder through to check the extension to see if it will stand up to council scrutiny first.

The other thing is that if you didn't notice well………………………..someone else may not. I would go the other more honest route though!

Good luck please let me know how you go.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of urbanedgeurbanedge
    @urbanedge

ohh.. that was quite a problem.. hmm..if i were you i will take DWolfe advice..Contact them as soon as possible so that you cna fix that problem earlier.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

It is possible to have work retrospectively permitted, as long as it is compliant with the relative building code. So, first perhaps you could have someone qualified have a look at it for you to determine that it "looks" compliant. If that is the case, and you'd like to sell the house with a clean bill of health, you would need to contact a building surveyor to provide the building permit. He or she may need to see some of the structural work, which may mean cutting a couple of holes!

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.