All Topics / Help Needed! / Strata costs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of ReserveReserve
    @reserve

I'm looking at the value of purchasing a 1br loft close to a major university however it is in a heritage building and a friend advised me to watch out for the strata costs.

I was wondering if anyone could list specific pitfalls to watch out for when purchasing in a heritage building.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

One pitfall could be the lvr any potential lender might lend you.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Strata costs are widely variable however some generalisations to be aware of:

Older buildings, if properly maintained, will have higher maintenance costs, or repairs when they crop up will cost more.
    Lifts/Pools/central air conditioning/24 hour concierge/security etc all increase the levies.
    High levels of absentee owners (ie lots of rentals) often is related to inadequate/basic/lower levels of maintenance only being undertaken.
    An active body corporate tends to keep costs under scrutiny (happens in high owner-occupied premises).
    Check the amount in the sinking and admin funds, how they are spent and how they are to be spent. Is there a high level of reactive maintenance (breakdown callouts) or proactive (planned maintenance eg lobby carpet repair/replacement, gutter cleaning, gardening/lawn mowing, painting, concrete repairs etc)? It is better to have planned maintenance (showing that the strata manager& BC  are forward thinking as opposed to only having to react to breakdowns).

Profile photo of ReserveReserve
    @reserve

Thanks guys, I might steer clear of it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.