All Topics / Help Needed! / Nominee purchaser

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of PGBPGB
    @pgb

I would like to sign a contract to purchase a house in Queensland today, but my trust will not be ready until mid next week. Can I use “John Smith as nominee” then substitute my trust name before settlement without incurring a second set of stamp duty fees?

Profile photo of jamesbethuremjamesbethurem
    @jamesbethurem

Sorry, am unfamiliar with this.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi PGB no regetfully you cannot.

A Trust would normally only take 24 hours to be set up. 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of PGBPGB
    @pgb

Richard
    Thanks for that, the trust is ready but I am using a company as trustee and that is the slow down. I will just have hold off on signing a contract.
    Cheers
    pgb

Participant
    @qlds007

PGB yes hate to say you will.

In saying this again the Company only takes 24 hours to set up and be registered.

Profile photo of PGBPGB
    @pgb

Richard
    It was an old trading company I had and have to amend constitution to become a trustee company. I will wait.

thanks again
    pgb

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If the company is in existance it may be possible, but a guess the constitution probihits acting as trustee? For the cost of a company, $400, I would be setting up a new one anyway – that way no problems from the past can arise.

A trust can be set up in a  few minutes too. You have a few weeks to pay the stamp duty.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

I am with Terry i am not sure i would want to use an old trading company as the Trustee of Trust that i was intending to buy property assets in.

Participant
    @qlds007

I am with Terry i am not sure i would want to use an old trading company as the Trustee of Trust that i was intending to buy property assets in.

Participant
    @qlds007

Profile photo of PGBPGB
    @pgb

Sorry for the delay in response. I was away form the computer looking at properties. I take your advice on old companies, I have a little experience and I know that the company has never traded and have replaced the Mem & Articles with a new Constitution at a total cost of $180.00. The advice you gave was wise, I delayed signing and found a better property today :-)

regards
    pgb

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

I exchanged recently on a few in QLD and added special condition along with finance that I have the right to change purchase details before settlement. Check with your solicitor however.

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

I exchanged recently on a few in QLD and added special condition along with finance that I have the right to change purchase details before settlement. Check with your solicitor however.

Profile photo of PGBPGB
    @pgb

Nathan
    Thanks for that info, sounds very useful, I will meet with my solicitor to discuss
    regards
    pgb

Participant
    @terryw
    Nathan_b wrote:

The vendor may allow this without too much drama, but please be careful in doing it as you may be assessed on stamp duty twice. You may also have problems if you set up an entity after the original contract was signed too – ie the entity wasn't in existance when the contract was entered into.

BEst to check with a solicitor before doing anything like this.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of PGBPGB
    @pgb

Terry
    I was aware that if the entity was created after the contract date that I would have a problem, but it was the stamp duty double up that I was trying to avoid. I will ask my solicitor
    thanks
    pgb

Participant
    @terryw

The OSR may consider it an onsale to the nominee, I head that WA is very strict on this, but each State differs – which makes it hard to keep up with things. Let us know what your lawyer says.

Email Me

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.