All Topics / General Property / Going Pro – what is needed?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Hello everyone.
    Up until now, we have comfortable sat in a rather lucrative government contract, building equity but, being remotely located, not really participating in the property market as it is too difficult to inspect properties, and be fully informed re the state of the market when you are so far away. 

Today, the goal posts were moved, and while we had intended to renew our soon to expire contract, we now have to reconsider this and look at what our other options are.  During the discussion, I said that if money were no object, I would choose to be a professional investor to earn a living.  My strong preference is for RE, as this is where I have dabbled in the past, and where most of our $ are now.

So the question, for those already earning a living from RE, as investors, is how much $ do you need? (in terms of equity)  How does it affect your borrowing capacity – what do lenders think of professional investors who do not have income coming from elsewhere?  What about your own home – ie, how does having equity tied up in a home affect the situation (we own our home outright).

Any words of wisdom, advice, warnings, whatever is very welcome.  I'd be surprised if we have enough $ to go professional just yet, but we may not be that far off. 

S

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.