All Topics / Value Adding / 3 townhouse’s or 5 apartments

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of peterpithpeterpith
    @peterpith

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to build a unit complex of maybe 4 or 6 1xbedroom apt. like your older style unit blocks built in the the early 70's.

These days all you see is 2 or 3 Townhouse's built on the one block. Wouldn't it be better to built 5 arpartments???

Or is it too hard to get a permit. The Block size would be around 800 to 1000sq.

Any Help.

Peter.

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning

It depends what the local planning scheme stipulates and the cost of development over your return ie market demand. Townhouses generally fetch more than single bedroom apartments and can have a cheaper development cost and therefore a higher return. Plus older style apartment blocks that were built in the ’70s are unappealing so I wouldn’t be surprised if the local government asked you to dress them up so you don’t blight the surrounding area with a nasty looking brick box.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Yeh those older style box units are UGLY!!! I doubt you could get away with building those things these days. As RHPlanning said, the council may ask you to dress them up to make them look better and not blight the surrounding area. If the demand is there for 1 bedroom units and you think that this will get you a better return on investment then look into it more. You may not be able to build 70's style units, but you can probably build some sort of units if the council permits you do. This is something I don't know a lot about but want to do in the future as it has the potential to create a killer cashflow and profit if you do it correctly. Keep us updated because I would love to see how this goes

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

In some areas the council will allow 10-15, 1 and 2 bed apts with underground car parking. The block can look like a string of townhouses joined together from the outside but will contain apts. it is a matter of asking the council where you are and finding out if they are interested in blocks like that being built. The only problem if the planning is approved is then going with commercial finance which is harder to obtain and costs more. Near unis etc this is getting pretty popular.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of JeffHomesJeffHomes
    @jeffhomes

Hi Peter,

It all depends on the zoning of your land.

Contact you local council and ask a planner what is the zoning of your property and what is the allowed density for apartments in that zone.

or find a local town planner who will help you with all of that.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

There are more apartments than ever being planned and built, they are just a little more cleverly disguised. Planning for apartments (or other higher density housing) is more likely in certain designated areas near transport and other amenities.

Having said all that, there are changes occurring. For example, I presented a pre-application for a project in Melbourne's northern suburbs last week whereby I suggested we take the two existing houses (on about 600m2 each), aggregate the land on which they are built, build two new units behind, and link the new units to the existing building with car parking that houses small apartments above. So instead of ending up with 4 x 3br units we will end up w 2 x 1br, 2 x 2br, and 2 x 3br dwellings. The municipal planners were happy, and so was the client!

I think we'll need to see more imagination put into higher density housing types.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Well done Christian, it really is this sort of smart thinking that will get around the housing shortage and planning rules.

Email Me

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Is this working smart, not hard??

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hahaha! You got it!

D

Email Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.