All Topics / Value Adding / Pre primed weatherboards

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of possumpalpossumpal
    @possumpal

Hi everyone

Just got my house re weather boarded with pre primed weatherboards.
    Went to dulux to get some painting advice and they told me that the pre priming is just a gimmik and that I need to sand it all of and prime it again. Cleary I do not want to do this unless it is absoultly necessary. Has anyone else heard this or had any experience with it.

Thanks
    Tim

Profile photo of NBSNBS
    @nbs

Yes what they have said is correct however before you kick the dog and drown your sorrows, you are best to go back to where you got the weatherboards and ask for the manufactures specification for the product and find out the painting requirements. I would also KEEP the spec on file.

In most cases the primer or what I prefer to call it "preservative" is only a light organic solvent preservative (LOSP) for the timber and not a true primer and thus has to be sanded back then a primer painted on followed by the top coats. If this is not done this preservative it can breakdown later and you will have to sand it back and re paint, or worse if you do it for a client you have to deal with a pissed of client and all the work on top. Best to do it right the first time. 

The aim of the preservative is to protect the timber until it is painted and in an exterior location I think this must be done within 6 weeks (don't quote me on that time line). Hopefully the nails used where gal and not normal bullet heads and all end grains were primed which is a manufactures requirement. 

I don't like the way it is marketed (clever) but it should be marketed as a preservative and people clearly advised how its to be painted.  Then again I have had to stop painters on jobs and get them to do it properly as some believe it is a primer.

Hope it works out.
    Thanks
    Brian 

Profile photo of possumpalpossumpal
    @possumpal

Thanks for the reply Brian

It sounds as though I have done a few things wrong. The builder has put all the wetherboards on. The ends of the boards have not been primed and will now not be able to be. I am unsure as to what type of nails he used, what is the issue here? I will go to the weatherboard supplier this morning and get the details of the "primer" off them. I've got to say that I am rather annoyed that they market them as pre – primed when they are not. I'm sure many people get caught out with this.

Thanks Tim

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Bullet head nails rust and work loose, galvanised nails do not rust and tend to stay put better.

Profile photo of NBSNBS
    @nbs

Tim,

I don't feel you have done anything wrong, I cannot comment on the builder as i have not seen the work etc and would be unfair on by behalf to do so. Hopefully you find product the boards are treated with will be fine.

Brian

Profile photo of folino54folino54
    Participant
    @folino54

I painted my so called preprimed weatherboards approx. 3 years ago. Three sides of the quite large house has dulux paint that is as good as the day I painted it but the west facing , 2 story , all weatherboard side off the house which was painted with extra care is now peeling badly because of the primer failing in the hot sun.
    I was told by Dulux that I would not have had this problem if I had painted directly onto unprimed boards which would have been cheaper.
    Good luck.

Profile photo of dnh83dnh83
    @dnh83

Glad I came across this post…I've got a similar situation, supposedly 'primed' weatherboards in place awaiting painting (luckly this hasn't been done yet)…painting quotes are starting next week…

But in addition to this, I also have the 'Pink' pre-primed balustrading on my verandah awaiting paint.  Does this also need to be sanded prior to painting, or is this a different product (is just the pink pre-primed wood from Bunnings)  ??

Cheers,

Darren

Profile photo of NBSNBS
    @nbs
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.