All Topics / Value Adding / renovating kitchen

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of alanak80alanak80
    Participant
    @alanak80

help needed with terrible kitchen

anyone renovated a kitchen similar to this one. it looks ok for renting but now i am turning the laundry into a room i need to incorporate the washing machine into the kitchen design.

the house is a 1920 californian bungalow. i need to do the reno cheaply but still look nice and glossy modern white cupboard and benchtops, is my preference.

also not sure what can be done with the space behind the gas oven (anyone know whats behind there?? and why the space does not go higher?/) i am thinking if it can be turned in large pantry cheaply but making the hole alot larger and replastering?? or any other ideas to utilise the space better?

im in melb if anyone knows of cheap kitchen supply places?

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/alanak80/DSC02028.jpg

Profile photo of Property TraderProperty Trader
    Participant
    @property-trader

Hi There,

We usually replace the whole kitchen in all our renovations, however if you are doing it on the cheap think about the following:

1.  Replace the cupboard door only to get rid of the blue and get a more modern look.
    2.  White tile over the blue check one.
    3.  That space at the back looks odd.

About the kitchen having a washing machine … try to think about putting the washing machine is another area of the house.  Entertaining friends while they see your dirty washing … its not so appealing (my opinion only).

If you are going to sell it invest in some bar stools as they look fantastic … the house we sold last week the buyers wanted the 3 bar stools thrown in with the house.  The paid over $400,000 for the house and the stools cost me $130 all up.

If you get stuck on the design see an interior decorator … We use one on all our jobs and they are fantastic.

Well enough said … I hope this helps.

Property Trader | Boston West Pty Ltd
    http://bostonwest.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Private money lending opportunities available paying upto 12%, secured by bricks and mortar!

Profile photo of alanak80alanak80
    Participant
    @alanak80

thanks for all the great advice Jason – much appreciated

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    alanak80 wrote:
    help needed with terrible kitchen

the house is a 1920 californian bungalow..

also not sure what can be done with the space behind the gas oven (anyone know whats behind there?? and why the space does not go higher?/) i am thinking if it can be turned in large pantry cheaply but making the hole alot larger and replastering?? or any other ideas to utilise the space better?

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/alanak80/DSC02028.jpg

I reckon the space in the wall was a storage place for chopped wood and there might be a chimney space above the oven as it was a 1920 building which would have had originally a wood stove and oven.

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

All these old houses had an alcove for the oven and fire wood.

I would definitly redo the tiles in a plain white.
    The doors and end panels cn be re-done in the same material. Most of your local cabinet makers will quote you on this work.

I would also take the opportunity to add a high bench where the sink is, and turn that into a breakfast bar, as this will increase your bench space

As mentioned, keep your WM seperate to your eating area

good luck with the project

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

As for cheap kitchens or cabinetry….I'm currently in the middle of an "IKEA experiment" and all seems to be working out!
    And it was cheap!

Participant
    @alanak80

what IKEA cabinaets did you go with? did you just buy doors or whoe carcass too?

Participant
    @christianb

I got the whole lot! A kitchen, two bathrooms.
    Carcasses are together and I'll finish the rest this week, time permitting.
    They are actually quite ingenious (I was skeptical) and easy to assemble – although I am a carpenter by trade.
    I'll let you know if there's any disasters.

As a foot note, the process was interesting. I "designed" the cabinetry using their website, ordered on Friday, paid Friday night and they delivered Saturday arvo! In fact, they only deliver on the next day, they wouldn't hold it for me.

Participant
    @alanak80

sounds to good to be true..lol

Participant
    @christianb

Still plenty of time for it to all go wrong….found a few parts missing today, but it's roughly on track!

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

I organise renos for clients and have found that when Im in Tassie, the local bunnings has a measure and quote service. The builder I use down there that does the full rip out and replace for me gets them to deliver on site and then he and his offsider do all the hard stuff in 2 days.

The only thing is you need the walls repaired between the rip out and the new install so Im usually up till midnight doing the walls so its dry for the next morning. The only delay is if the plumber isnt  on time to disconnect the first morning and then re-connect the next afternoon for the sink and taps.

Just another option for you.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks guys from me as well. I did always wonder about the IKEA option………. It might be worth seeing if any of the Bunnings in Vic have a comparable (read cheap) service. I would go with the wood stove thing too. I've seen one unrenovated and the cavity with stove took up most of the wall and was a supporting wall, looked like a real pain. Most of the time you see places where they have stuck the two parts of the stove side by side in the cavity. At least this one is in the corner not in the middle of the room or something.

Re the laundry maybe turn the linen cupboard into a European laundry. Basically big cupboard houses washer and dryer and you shut the doors. Or put it in the bathroom (if there is space). If you have anyone sharing they will not want to see someone elses undies washing away while they are making dinner! Also anyone with kids will not rent without a "real" laundry.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

One word of warning, a laundry has usually not been built to meet the requirements of a 'habitable room' – ie it may have lower head height, poor ventilation, waterproofing etc so without major work may not comply with the building code requirements for a bedroom etc.

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

Hi,

Just a side comment regarding the cavity. When doing these kinds of renovations for clients we have more often than not found these cavities to have a lintel above them which are load bearing. This means that if you want to increase the cavity or remove it completely, it will be a structural change which will require a permit and a new lintel to be engineered and installed at the height that you want to open it up to.

It might be worth while getting a builder to come and have a look for you. Let me know if you get stuck and need a hand as one of our guys might be able to do it.

Profile photo of henry13aucklandhenry13auckland
    @henry13auckland
    christianb wrote:
    I got the whole lot! A kitchen, two bathrooms.
    Carcasses are together and I'll finish the rest this week, time permitting.
    They are actually quite ingenious (I was skeptical) and easy to assemble – although I am a carpenter by trade.
    I'll let you know if there's any disasters.

Is the IKEA located at Richmond, Melbourne?

I also got a old kitchen at Melbourne which I want to renovate cheaply. But I have no experience on renovation or carpentry skills. What can I do cheaply or somebody I can get help and pay him reasonable cost? Where should I start? I am willing to work free to participate in some kitchen and bathroom renovation and just get some experience. Anybody can help me on this occassion. thanks

Participant
    @christianb

Henry,

Yes, the IKEA is located in Richmond.
    Their stuff is designed to be put together by anyone. I found that there was a lot of repetitive work in putting together the carcasses and other bits and pieces, and the only thing that really needed my carpentry skills was the fixing of the overheads to the wall ( a little bit tricky) and the adjustments of doors and drawers for an accurate fit.
    I don't want this to sound like an IKEA add, but the stuff really is quite easy to put together.
    Now, I don't want to put you in over your head, but perhaps consider having a go at it yourself and see how it goes. If you're finding it's not working out, then call a carpenter. You might find that you can get all the components together but would prefer a carpenter put them in place and make the adjustments for fit.
    There are also other "flat pack" cabinet suppliers.

Good luck.

Profile photo of henry13aucklandhenry13auckland
    @henry13auckland
    christianb wrote:
    Henry,

Yes, the IKEA is located in Richmond.
    Their stuff is designed to be put together by anyone. I found that there was a lot of repetitive work in putting together the carcasses and other bits and pieces, and the only thing that really needed my carpentry skills was the fixing of the overheads to the wall ( a little bit tricky) and the adjustments of doors and drawers for an accurate fit.
    I don't want this to sound like an IKEA add, but the stuff really is quite easy to put together.
    Now, I don't want to put you in over your head, but perhaps consider having a go at it yourself and see how it goes. If you're finding it's not working out, then call a carpenter. You might find that you can get all the components together but would prefer a carpenter put them in place and make the adjustments for fit.
    There are also other "flat pack" cabinet suppliers.

Good luck.

Thanks.

What about ripping off the old kitchen? Shall I have a design before I go ahead? Sure I will go to Richmond IkEA shortly to find out details. After getting rid of a retail shop,  I have plenty time at this moment and really want to put some skills and knowledge about property investing.

Participant
    @christianb

Ideally, a plumber and electrician should ensure the services are isolated. Then it's a matter of commitment and a sledge hammer. And yes, you should have a design, budget and schedule established before you do anything else!

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Where are the before and after pics? :)

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @christianb

Of my kitchen or Henry's….?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.