All Topics / Value Adding / Building a Granny Flat

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of TalismansTalismans
    Participant
    @talismans

Hi All,

Has anyone built a granny flat before? How much does it usually cost and does it need council approval?

I'm thinking of getting a granny flat to increase rental income

Cheers
    Talis

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning

Costs start from around $70,000 and yes it needs approval and you will technically only be able to use it for family members associated with the main dwelling – ie your granny.

Profile photo of TalismansTalismans
    Participant
    @talismans

Thanks for your reply RHPlanning.com. =p as long as its family members then its ok i guess

Cheers
    Talis

Profile photo of BrazenBrazen
    Participant
    @brazen
    RHPlanning wrote:
    Costs start from around $70,000 and yes it needs approval and you will technically only be able to use it for family members associated with the main dwelling – ie your granny.

I agree it needs approval but does not have to be exclusively for family use in most states.
    Im not sure about WA- does WA not allow Granny Flats to be rented out?

Brazen | Granny Flat Approvals Sydney
    http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Granny Flat Approvals Guru

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

I rented a two bedroom granny flat from people i did not previously know when I seperated from my husband. Admittedly, it was originally built for the ladnlord's mum, but when she moved into a nursing home i rented and then when i moved out another lady and her young child rented. this is in NSW, so don't know the legislation on initial building and usage of the building. i have also seen a number of properties listed for sale in Victoria that advertise rental income from the main dwelling as well as income from a granny flat attached to or free standing.

In the Blur Mountains when my landlords were building the granny flat they were required to have the building attached to the main residence. So they built a covered walkway between their residence and the granny flat and enclosed this as a large sunroom/barbeque/outdoor entertaining area. I am not sure if this requirement is statewide or just one required by BMCC. They do have some rather unusual requrements.

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Hi Talis,

As ever the rules are different from state to state and region to region.

In Melbourne, for example, there is generally no need for a TPP, but a BP is required, and the dwelling should be for the exclusive benefit of a dependant person.

There are also regulations about the size (specifically the footprint) and how the structure is constructed. It also needs to comply with the relevant building codes.

All that said, I personally believe they are a great way to make some more space, and potentially to generate income….even if it was from another family member or dependant.

Profile photo of TalismansTalismans
    Participant
    @talismans

Thanks guys! much appreciated

Profile photo of elliotjlelliotjl
    @elliotjl

Speaking to most builders your currently looking at $800 m2 to build or extend. not including price of laying a slab

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning
    Brazen wrote:
    RHPlanning wrote:

I agree it needs approval but does not have to be exclusively for family use in most states.
    Im not sure about WA- does WA not allow Granny Flats to be rented out?

I can only speak for WA – Technically it is not allowed, but I am sure some people do it anyway – just don’t get a complaint, otherwise you could be investigated and fined etc, although they normally issue a warning first, but it may mean you are left with something you can’t use for what you intended!

Profile photo of BrazenBrazen
    Participant
    @brazen

$800 per sq m? That's way too much. It should be around $1,500 per sq m.

Brazen | Granny Flat Approvals Sydney
    http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Granny Flat Approvals Guru

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

QLD is technically not allowed either, although some councils may provide a special allowance for it in their planning scheme or just not prosecute.

Brisbane is on a huge crackdown at the moment, I know of over 50 enforcement notices at the moment in one area of brisbane alone.

RPI | Certus Legal Group / PRO Town Planners
    http://www.certuslegal.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Lawyer & Town Planner

Profile photo of Made_ManMade_Man
    Participant
    @made_man

$1500 seems like a lot Brazen. I got a double brick granny flat built with all the bells and whistle for just over $80k.

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

Hey Made_Man,

What size was your granny flat?

Profile photo of Made_ManMade_Man
    Participant
    @made_man

It was 60m2

I'm also doing another one now and its costing me $94k

Floor space is 112m2 Internal space is 60m2. 

I was receiving quotes between $90k – $200k So the gap is quite large.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.