All Topics / Creative Investing / Taking Equity Out from my PPOR and Invest in Shares

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of TalismansTalismans
    Participant
    @talismans

Hi Gents,

I would like to maximise the borrowing capacity I have at the lowest rate I can get.

Since i'm on about 50% of LVR for my PPOR, I'm planning to withdraw the other 30% of the equity to invest in shares (bluechips).

Firstly, will the interest be deductable if I pay the interest in advance? (as i'm in a high tax bracket)

In addition, if I use this amount of equity to get a margin loan (50% LVR) and also pay the interest in advance, may I deduct these interest as well?

I have read the current API and it seems like it's a good idea to take out a loan and pay the interest in advance (thus the interest is 40% off as i'm in the 40% bracket). It would be great because home loan is quite cheap (comparing to other investment loan, personal loan, margin loan etc) and 40% off on top of that would be awesome!

If I make any profits in shares,

Taxable income = (Capital gain in a year – interest rate after deduction)

This would definitely be better if interest wasn't paid in advance:

Taxable income = (captial gain in a year -interest rate pay without deduction).

I'm still quite new in these accounting stuffs, please give me some advices on why people like to pay interest in advance.

Thank you.

Cheers
    Talis

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Talis

Yes the interest pre-paid where the funds have been used for investment would be Tax deductible in the financial year in which the interest was paid. I.e before June 30 this year could be claimed this year.

Not so easy to access the equity upfront however with a good structure then no reason why what you want to achieve cannot be done.

Using your PPOR as security means you are not resticted on the stocks or type of investment you ahev to acquire (As you would be under a Margin Loan) so could look a combination of Instalment Warrants and Options to maximise your return and make your funds go further.

Of course pushing for a higher return also brings with it a high potential risk.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TalismansTalismans
    Participant
    @talismans

Thanks Richard.

I will talk to my accountant about the details.

Cheers
    Talis

Participant
    @talismans

Thanks Richard.

I will talk to my accountant about the details.

Cheers
    Talis

Profile photo of andykirbyandykirby
    Participant
    @andykirby

Hi Talis,

You can do what you say, but may I issue a word of warning. If you've been following the news recently, the people who invested through Storm Financial were encouraged to do pretty much what you're suggesting (i.e. take equity our of their PPOR, use that to leverage into shares) and a lot of people got completely wiped out!

Obviously, there are other factors involved, for example the fact that most Storm investors were retirees with little alternative income, but doubling up your gearing can be very risky. When share prices go down, generally all share prices (whether Blue Chip or not) get sold down. Try and think of the worst case scenario, such as current share prices dropping by 50%-60%, which is what happened to most blue chips between 2007 & 2009, and see if you'd get a call on your margin loan.

I'm not trying to disuade you from investing, I have a margin loan for shares myself, but when the market falls you have no control over what happens and if you have to sell, you may be selling at the bottom of the market

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

You must purchase shares that pay a dividend to be able to claim interest expenses as a tax deduction against income derived from the shares .

Participant
    @talismans

Thanks Founder, very well said and very kind heart of you bring the warning up  (seriously only my parents would tell me not to do such thing!) I would also warn others who have a similar approach that leverage could be a double edge sword and only to use leverage wisely. 

I'm going to do some fundamental (then technical to determine buy price) anaylsis on each share that I buy and I will mainly look at blue chips with good dividend payout. In addition, the margin loan I use will probably be 40% LVR to reduce any chances of having a margin call on my shares. It has always been my dream to become a fund manager and I would like to be my own one before I use the money for my next property purchase.

@duckster: Thank you for your advice as well. Can the interest payment be deducted from the capital gain as well if I sell the share less than a year at a profit?

Cheers
    Talis

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974
    Talismans wrote:
    Can the interest payment be deducted from the capital gain as well if I sell the share less than a year at a profit?

No. Interest can only be deducted from your income. Only capital losses can offset capital gains.

Cheers
    Paul

Profile photo of andykirbyandykirby
    Participant
    @andykirby

Hi Talis,

You're right, I do sound like my Dad ! I must be getting old……

When I got a margin loan, I calculated a 50% LVR (basically, borrow a dollar for every dollar you put in). What I also did was make sure that I had a further 20% in cash that could be put into the margin loan account in an emergency. For example, for every $10,000 you borrow on the margin loan make sure you have a further $2,000 in cash at hand in case the worst happens.

If the worst does come to the worst, and you get a margin call, you have two choices; either sell the shares or put extra money into the account. When I was watching the selling on the stock market through the end of 2008 into early 2009, I suspect that most sellers were forced sellers (the one thing you don't want to be, whatever type of investment you have). I was able to put some of my 20% into the margin account and didn't have to sell a thing.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    duckster wrote:
    You must purchase shares that pay a dividend to be able to claim interest expenses as a tax deduction against income derived from the shares .

I beleive If you buy shares without a dividend the interest on funds borrowed to buy these shares should be deductible against the person's other income. As long as you are planning on getting a capital gain.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Agree with Terry Interest is dedcutible on the basis that you invested in the expectation that you will receive a Capital Gain.

NWS is a particular stock that is very popular as a Margin loan share but rarily pays a dividend being a growth stock.

Certainly anyone borrowing to invest in such a share would expect the interest to be Tax deductible.

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

I have a question…

Can I simply go to the bank and say I want to take out some equity to invest in the share market? Will my lender be happy to do that, even if the LVR is set at a limit of 80%?

It would seem to make sense for a lender to lend the money, as long as the drawn equity can be serviced.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Daniel Lee

Participant
    @terryw

Depends on the bank.

Last week I asked one of the majors this exact question. They said it would be ok if going through a financial planner, but no if going and investing yourself! The trouble is fin planners would charge a fee to go through them.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

That is most odd… especially if I could get better returns than through a typical financial planner.

Surely there must be another way around this.

Regards

Daniel Lee

Participant
    @terryw

Their main worry is clients just saying they will invest, but instead will just blow the money when they get it.

A way around it is to use a different lender, or to think of a genuine investment which can be easily cashed in easily.

Email Me

Participant
    @talismans
    daniellee wrote:

That is most odd… especially if I could get better returns than through a typical financial planner.

Surely there must be another way around this.

Regards

Daniel Lee

Firstly, thanks for all your replies, Terryw, Paul, Richard and Andy.

@ Daniel

I think you should probably talk to your bank first and see if they allow you to do it.

In my case they don't seem to worry what i'm going with my money as long as there's 20% equity of the value of the house there.

I was just thinking since the interest rate is still low, i could outperform the home loan rate and make a return on the borrowed fund with a combination of a margin loan (50% LVR).

Kind Regards
    Talis

Participant
    @qlds007

With the odd exception most lenders will want something from a Financial Planner or a Stat Dec to advise where the funds could be spent.

When we arrange a loan even on a Line of Credit we normally place a copy of our Statement of advice in with the loan submission to advice where we have suggested they invest the funds. If of course the client decides to invest himself elsewhere that is upto him as we dont charge for the S o A where we are arranging the home loan. 

Participant
    @talismans

Ladies and Gents,

Thank you for all your advices and now I have taken out the equity out of my current PPOR and it is resting at my offset account.

I just want to know if I use this amount of money to buy as deposit for my next IP, is the interest deductable?

If not, what can I do to make the line clear?

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Talis

Participant
    @terryw

The interest possibly won't be deductible. Especially if you have mixed it with other funds.

You may have lost the connection between the borrowing and the investing.

Email Me

Participant
    @talismans

Thanks Terryw.

Do you know if there's any ways people usualyl do?

I think it's quite common that pplz take out their equity to purchase investment property, they must have a way to do it! haha

Cheers
    Talis

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.