All Topics / Help Needed! / Cert IV issues

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of newb4000newb4000
    @newb4000

Sorry to be such a sook with this but I would like your advise, I've read many of your posts and I find your advice extremely valuable. I've only been in this industry for about 4 months.

I was going to get my Cert IV via government training only to realise that I am over qualified, (that in itself is no mean feat). My boss however now is refusing to pay for training. This is an accountancy firm and he feels that I can learn the ropes from him but it scares me as I'm dealing with real peoples money if it makes any sense.

Please advise, tomorrow. How do I impress upon my boss that he needs to pay for this? it's not even a question of money, I can afford it myself, but on point of principle this is becoming a deal breaker for me.

yours

NB

Profile photo of sam2011sam2011
    @sam2011

why dont pay for it yourself and claim back the tax at the end of the year?

Profile photo of newb4000newb4000
    @newb4000

I could do that. My question I think is this.

Should I be making this an issue about investing in people? OR
    Is this just the way it is for brokers in accountants practices and I do things on my own?

I'm just wondering about the way forward, is this a battle I try and fight for, or do I move on and pick another one another time?

Profile photo of andykirbyandykirby
    Participant
    @andykirby

Without pushing too hard, I think you should be making something of an issue of this. I'm not sure of the rules for accountants, but it's a requirement for any company with an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) to monitor, provide and record training for their employees. Is there anything similar inn accountancy circles?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

If you are referring to cert 4 in mortgage broking you might think about the fact that this industry will be more regulated and brokers will require cert 4 for mortgage broking in the future.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    newb4000 wrote:

I'm just wondering about the way forward, is this a battle I try and fight for, or do I move on and pick another one another time?

Question you need to ask yourself is:”are you happy where you are?” If so then pick the fights that are really important to you – if this is one of those then fight, if not then don’t.

If you are not happy, then look for an employer that does get their employees certified and make it a clause of your employment contract…

I just changed employers who are happy to pay for my future training. After 4 years of trying I had enough and moved on.

@newb4000

Thanks

I do believe this can be a good job here. and I do want to forge a career within mortgage broking. I'm just trying not to be disillusioned by the attitude before me. I'll work on a pitch. Thanks for your advice.

@newb4000

Well…

He's paying. It was important to me, I needed to know that he was someone that believed in investing in people. It's for me now to show him that it's a sound investment because as we grow, I would want others who join the company not to have the same pain that I have had but enjoy the benefit of a qualified, professional education in this industry.

Thanks again
    Newb

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.