All Topics / Value Adding / Minimum Garage Dimensions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ladybirdladybird
    Participant
    @ladybird

I have read the Residential Design Guidelines for WA and can’t find any specifications in regards to minimum garage (double) sizes. It doesn’t make sense that they have minima for storage space for grouped dwellings, but not for garages, since many designs have the required storage space located in the garage. For storage spaces it is a minimum area of 4m2, but one side must be at least 1.5m in length.

If I have a garage that is 6.5 m long and I want to designate one end of it as storage space, what stops me saying the garage part is just 5m and the storage part takes up the remaining 1.5m, even though 5m is very tight for a car? Then when planning is approved, just use 6m for the car and just 0.5m for the garage?

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning

Refer to 6.5.3 A3.2, this states that car parking spaces be in accordance with AS2890.1 (Australian Standards for design of car parking and the like).

I can tell you that the minimum internal dimensions are 5.4m x 5.4m for a double garage.

If the ‘Acceptable Development’ provisions don’t result in the best outcome, go for the ‘Performance Criteria’ which is based on the outcome of the specific application, rather than prescribed provisions which apply otherwise.

For example, see 6.10.3 ‘Essential Facilities’, you will see that A3.1 contains the provision for 1.5m, where P3 contains the performance criteria which doesn’t require a minimum dimension, rather it requires an adequate, suitable area for storage – you can then put your case forward to your friendly local government planning officer to assess.

Ryan

Profile photo of ladybirdladybird
    Participant
    @ladybird

Thanks. Just the specs I need and explains a design that has been done for me.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Wow this is really interesting to know. I haven’t started development yet but I am definately looking to develop in the future.

All the legal document mumbo jumbo confuses me so seeing that it has to be 5.4m is easy to wrap my head around

Ryan McLean
    http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au
    Positive Cash Flow Properties Are Just A Click Away

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning

Not sure where you are located, but I should make sure that you are aware this is for Western Australia – it may be different in other states.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

It does vary in different states, but it's great location specific design advice!
    In Victoria, for example, double garages should generally be 6m x 6m, but there are also different rules for uncovered, covered and enclosed vehicle spaces. And moreover, different rules for car spaces depending on access.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.