All Topics / General Property / Buying a repo property

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of LiLoLiLo
    @lilo

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find some information in regards to buying a Bank Repossessed Property in Australia. It appears that it is possible to buy a Bank Repossessed Property, however I can not find the link on where to start.

Apparently majority of Bank Repossessed Property is sold on auctions. How do I get in contact with a list of Bank Repossessed Property which banks are willing to sale.

Do I need to go and ask directly in the bank or hire some financial advisor?

thank you

Tomas

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Each lender will have its own favour agent for each town and region.

These lists are not publically advertised as for say somewhere like the US.

Just need to look in your local paper or talk to a couple of agents and see if they act for an particular lender.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LiLoLiLo
    @lilo

Hi Richard,

thanks for the answer. Are the agents you mentioned above nominated by the bank which is selling the property?

thanks

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes they are instructed by them as mortgagee in possession.

Profile photo of allycatallycat
    Participant
    @allycat

Lilo,we bought abank repo or mortgagee in possession house in '99 in brisbane.Found out it had been on the banks books for 8months.No one wantes it.An 'ugly house' with potential.Did the building inspection 3 times with building inspector and twice more with two building mates.Made a ridiculous offer and agent rang back 1hr later and they;d said no,raised it 2.5k they said yes.Has been our best IP after 2yrs of part time blood sweat and tears.Different economic times now.good luck. Al

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Just because it has been repossessed by the banks doesn’t mean it is going for cheap. Banks like to make as much money as possible and they won’t sell cheap just to get their money back…they will try to make a profit.

The way to get them for cheap is like allycat did. Find properties that have been on their books for a long time which won’t sell and make a low ball offer.

Why are you trying this strategy? To make it easier to achieve positive cashflow?

Ryan McLean
    http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au
    Positive Cash Flow Properties Are Just A Click Away

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

@lilo

Hi Ryan

Well I was just wondering if something like this is possible and what it would take to get a hands of this kind of property. I did not expect it to be easy since everybody could the the same.

However, it is still a mystery to me that if the Bank is trying to sell repo property on as high price and as quickly as possible why this is not advertised somewhere.

> Find properties that have been on their books for a long time which won't sell and make a low ball offer.
    So the way to get hands on their books is to just call any bank and ask for repo property book? Are they willing to share this information with anyone?

thank you

Profile photo of MarJacMarJac
    @marjac

Mortgagees do have an obligation to sell properties under 'Mortgagees Auction' for the best possible price with any surplus after payout the debts + fees & charges to the mortgagor/owner. They can't just set the reserve for what the property owes them

Banks will often obtain an independant Market Valuation to establish a fair price to cover themselves in case the mortgagor makes a claim for 'underselling' the property.
    Buying at a mortgagees auction may mean you get a property at a good price (maybe $10k-$20k ~5% less) rather than an obsolute bargin

Of course in Alleycats case he was lucky that the Bank had a 'undesirable' property and after 8 months the Bank could 'off load' it at a bargain with little risk of any claim from the mortgagor

Profile photo of bellzbellz
    Participant
    @bellz

We purchased our first house (PPR) in 1996 from a mortgagee in possession.

I'm a conveyancing paralegal, and obviously did all the legals myself when we purchased.  The day we settled, the bank's solicitors said to me "whoever got this house got a good deal, it still owes the bank quite a bit".  I used to wonder if the bank got the rest of their money out of the mortgagor.

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker
    ryan mclean wrote:
    Just because it has been repossessed by the banks doesn’t mean it is going for cheap. Banks like to make as much money as possible and they won’t sell cheap just to get their money back…they will try to make a profit.

Banks don’t get to keep the money – only clear their debt and costs – surplus goes to the owner. Most banks actually stop charging interest on bad debts therefore when they are in foreclosure mode the debt is actually interest free.

By making bad debt interest free the banks lose money due to their cost of funds – However cost of funds is absorbed by the banks entire balance sheet.

If the banks capitalized interest on bad debt there is less chance of recovery of the full loan amount and therefore higher provisions for capital losses (banks dont like capital loses) e.g. Better for the bank to lose it via lost interest revenue than capital losses ( even if it costs more).

The banks almost always go to auction to avoid the cusomter claiming the bank sold at a favourable price – by law the bank still has to try to recover the full value – at auction they can always claim it sold at market price on the day.

P.s. Non banks dont have the same issues with losing interest rather than capital – they will charge interest until the end. You are better off being sold up by a bank than non bank lender….

@lilo

Would be the bank keen to reduce the price of repo property if a buyer offers a cash?

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker
    Participant
    @qlds007

Lilo No short selling here my friend.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.