All Topics / Help Needed! / finding towns with population over 10,000

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Hi, I posted this question yesterday, but can't find it anywhere on the forum, so I have posted it again.

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to find a list of towns in Australia with a population over 10,000?

Many thanks

Sonya

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

I dont know if this will help, but I use the aus bureau of statistics – http://www.abs.gov.au and search by the town name and look at the census/regional data. Its not a list and not quite the answer to your question but in the absence of other suggestions….

Good luck

Mick

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Thanks Mick,

i have used this site before, but I was getting a bit more ambitious and was hoping to find a list of such towns as  astarting point and then work backwards from there, lokking at proposed development, employment opportunities, rental demand etc.

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Locate a state, and then pinpoint on a map large looking towns and google them…

easy….

I spend about 8 hrs a day in the market looking for these things, there out there, just depends what state your looking in.

Other way is to get a bunnings catalouge and anywhere around a bunnings store, because most are new,a nd they have had lost of $$$ spent on research to make sure its fiasible to open up.

Hope this helps,
    Nath.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Nice one! Always good if there is one of the major fast food places like mcchukkas or the not so fat anymore KFC. (I think he looks a little younger too….airbrushing maybe?) If there is a Target or Kmart thats good too. Our regional town (IP) has a very nice NEW Mitre 10 which is about the same size a Bunnings. 

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Yep,

These guys spend lots of $$ on research so follow the big guys.

Profile photo of Anthony.AounAnthony.Aoun
    Participant
    @anthony.aoun

Hello Sonya,

There are over 700 (from around 2,600) postcodes in Australia that have a population of over 10,000

Yes you can get it from the ABS – but prepared data via other sources generally cost something.

The MORE important part of the question you have NOT asked, is; ‘that also have a continuing population growth’

You see the point? Selecting an area based on its current size alone, will not suffice. You must also note if the area is increasing or reducing in population movements.

Many suburbs that have a population of over 10,000 are actually declining in numbers ; this situation is more relevant that finding postcodes with high population numbers ALONE. From our records (quick visual) it looks like about 15-20% are reducing in number.

PS: We have the data to show the postcodes with populations of 10,000 or more that are increasing in population size. Of course we can also list the fastest growing suburbs by population.

I hope this helps.

AA

Profile photo of raresaturnraresaturn
    @raresaturn
    Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

I spend a great deal of money to find and locate towns in Australia with over 10,000 people. It has proved to be a great resource to me in finding positive cash flow property.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe
    Profile photo of JJ7JJ7
    Participant
    @jj7

ABS just released this: http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/nrpmaps.nsf/NEW+GmapPages/national+regional+profile
    May be handy for zoning in on areas – it has population estimates, income estimates etc for 2004-2008 so can help with some trending but obviously misses 2 critical years. It doesn’t unfortunately, go into individual towns either – for example, Blackwater gets lumped in with a few other small towns. An excellent resource all the same.

Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call

This site has a lot of places populations in a spreadsheet over several years worth of Census. Most recent was 2006 but it shows trends.

http://www.citypopulation.de/Australia-UC.html

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi Sonja.

In line with the aim being to target areas that have anticipated growth, not just numbers, look for Woolworths being built or enlarged.  Coles and Foodland too (or similar in your state).  They really do their research it appears.  From my experience they can even encourage growth as having a large supermarket draws other shops to the locality and can encourage further residential development as well as have a positive effect on values.

G

Profile photo of JaSin66JaSin66
    @jasin66

Subway has opened in Blackwater, their building a Macca's now behind Red Rooster.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Bernard Salt of KPMG created some excellent graphs of top towns n growth rates, administrator or someone on here may have them, they were also overheads during Salt’s amazing presentation at the 2010?3 day Mega Conference.

This includes some of Salt’s information :
    http://www.retireonproperty.com/whyproperty/property-investing-demographics.html

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb
    Nathan Birch wrote:
    Locate a state, and then pinpoint on a map large looking towns and google them…

easy….

I spend about 8 hrs a day in the market looking for these things, there out there, just depends what state your looking in.

Other way is to get a bunnings catalouge and anywhere around a bunnings store, because most are new,a nd they have had lost of $$$ spent on research to make sure its fiasible to open up.

Hope this helps,
    Nath.

I love your thinking Nathan. Sometimes the numbers can be deceiving- but shiny new Bunnings don’t lie!
    Love it.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Nathan Birch wrote:

I like it – and it makes sense. Reminds me a little of the coffee test I remember reading about a few years back. I think it might have been Gary Seeto who talked about the price of coffee in regional areas being a sign of prosperity/growth. This came to mind on the w/end when I picked up a medium flat-white for $4.50 in a regional coastal town down south….

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Hi Jamie et al,
    What??!! You picked up a flat white kitchen for ONLY $4.50? Good on you!! Can you ship those around Australia for us?
    I used to say with my manager: “You do so much business when you’re not doing business”. Yep, Bunnings and Maccas can provide us so much information for free.
    Oh and I used to love the telephone directory to see what is happening in a rural town..shame about that one.
    AND as ever I LOVE this forum for free too!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    WomeninPropMelb wrote:
    Hi Jamie et al, What??!! You picked up a flat white kitchen for ONLY $4.50? Good on you!! 

Not quite – it's a flat white "coffee"

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.