All Topics / Forum Frolic / She’s pregnant!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of Benjamin CsikosBenjamin Csikos
    Participant
    @benjamin-csikos

Sitting at the table at a coffee joint yesterday, I had my wife on my right, and a new friend of mine on the left.  In passing I made a comment as a joke.

"Truth is, she could be pregnant and I wouldn't know, she probably is and just isn't telling me." I laughed.

She got a huge grin on her face and looked at both of us.

"….well, actually."  She said. "I am!"

I choked on my coffee.

I then went into a stare for the next 20 minutes as I processed it.  I'm gonna be a dad!

I'm not allowed to tell anyone yet.  So, surely random strangers on an internet forum don't count. Right? :)

So, truth be told, it's perfect timing. It's exactly at the point where I was planning.  4 years ago, I was single, but seeing Nicky, and set myself some goals that I planned on acheiving.

1. Married, House, Kids.

2. 250'000 pa.

3. My own Television show.

It's taken me 4 years to get this far, but since writing that list, I have kept it in my mind and worked on it daily.   I organised a proposal, saved up for a ring, stayed in my position and found out what it would take to get my first property.

This is the video of my proposal.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/benanaman#p/u/14/AaolWgjdmZQ

I move in in one weeks time to my first house, which is a duplex and works as an investment property aswell.  I'm about to make a video as the keys get handed over. The reason that I made it a duplex was because I knew that if Nicky was to get pregnant, I'd very quickly lose a second income. I'd go from double income no kids, to single income with kids! Higher expenses, lower income. With the duplex that I have set up, the money that I will be making from the other side of my house is pretty close to replacing her income, so we should be able to continue with the dink lifestyle, even though Nicky is also a full-time mum.

*cracks knuckles*  It's all comin' together.

It's just so satisfying to finally tick off the first goal.  Married, tick, house, tick, kids. TICK! Goal One, complete.

The timing is perfect. Onto phase two.  Figuring out how to make 250'000 per year. I believe the vehicle will be through property.  Looking to get two investment properties this year, following steves model.

Just a rant. :)

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Enormous and heartfelt congratulations to both you and your wife.  Such a very special time of your lives.  The kids are the best and most important investment you will ever make.  Coming from a Mum of three who eight months ago had her last baby and is sadly letting go of the baby years ever so slowly.

Now you can't leverage your super to do that, can you?

Put happy and well adjusted family, time to spend with the kids above point number 2.  Kids need your time, no one ever says they regret spending too much time with their kids.  As modern and affluent parents it is too easy to keep working, keeping earning the bucks and keep buying stuff for the kids to make us feel better.  They don't need stuff, they need you.  It is terrific that your wife will be a full time mum.  I am (basically) and I count our blessings every day – we are so very fortunate to be able to do that, many simply can't. 

Things I reccommend:  Steve Biddulphs book, "Raising Boys", Dr Spocks book on Child health and parenting, breastfeeding, a sling (like the way people carry their babies in third world countries) and a cradle that rocks and can go next to your bed for the first 6 months.

Good luck
    S

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Congrats – And I agree with SHales – except for the Dr.Spock book bit – while he now disagrees with his earlier 'opinions' , the anti-discipline approach  and the 'let them find their own way' bit is why we have all these stupid laws now in Aust, and why so many kids today are literally doing whatever they want, whenever they want, and the parents (who get blamed for their terrible behaviour from all and sundry inc the police) can't do a thing to stop them!
    Woops – bit carried away there – better stop before I get wound up.
    Family – enjoy the special journey Benjamin!

Cheers

@shales
    v8ghia wrote:
    except for the Dr.Spock book bit – while he now disagrees with his earlier 'opinions' ,
    Cheers

A common misconception – have you read any spock?  I refer to his discipline techniques a bit and find it useful food for thought.  Dr spock died in 1998 at 94 years of age – you must be better connected than me if you have his current opnion.  ;)
    S

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia
    SHales wrote:
    Dr spock died in 1998 at 94 years of age – you must be better connected than me if you have his current opnion.  ;)
    S

Looks like he did indeed 'live long and prosper….'  Whoops – wrong Dr. Spock there I was quoting from Shales!   ;-)

Profile photo of Benjamin CsikosBenjamin Csikos
    Participant
    @benjamin-csikos
    Q:  How many members of the USS Enterprise does it take to change a  
    light bulb?

A: Six: Scotty to get on the intercom when the light goes out and say
    "I canna do it, Cap'n! These bulbs are stoon dead",
    Spock to tell Kirk he is proceeding illogically,
    McCoy to say "They're dead, Jim!" and
    "Dammit Jim-I'm a doctor not an electrician!!",
    Kirk to screw it in,
    and two red-shirt security men to die in the process.
    @shales

When I was a teenager I worked in a video shop for a couple of lesbians (that's beside the point but it adds to the colour of the story) who were a bit obsessed by Star Trek.  They went to Star Trek conventions and could speak Klingon.  Other than that they were pretty normal….

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

wow thats amazing!!!!!  as SHales said – investing in your children and wife will be the most satisfying investment you could ever make :D  not to say its always rosey … but its what life is about!

im a stay at home mum to 2, with another 1 on the way.  i did work for my first year as a mother and i must say – being in the centre of the home is an amazing privieledge :)

i wont recommend any books to you (although ive read a few shockers, a few that made me roll my eyes with every page turn, and a few goodies) and you will for the next 2 years be given parenting advice whether you want it or not … but i will say to just trust your paternal instincts.  with all the advice from every angle you will be given, your instincts will prove your greatest ally.

i like ur plan with the duplex.  but also keep in mind that with your wife stopping work to become a mum you may be eligible for family tax benefits A and B.  plus also the baby bonus money for a temporary boost.  so they will also help with your budgeting.  depending on how your IP is structured.  i was getting FTB A and also B (was over a couple of hundred a fortnight) with our first IP in joint names …. but now that we have another we get nothing

all the best for the next 18 years :)  teeheee

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

He hehe how funny I went on holidays this week and just happened to pick up a Star Trek book from 1977 in a second hand shop! Nerd Alert! My parents firmly believed in the good guidance from the Trek world Original series only for me though!

BC – Those red Shirts are a dime a dozen! Also you will soon stop smiling when your wife starts dropping her breakfast lunch and dinner – everywhere! Cross your fingers for no morning sickness!

V8ghia those young hoons are everywhere (hsv r8 right here)!

All you mums at home you rock! I've got a 3 yr old and a 10mth old and have still managed to stay home and do the townhouse development on the side. (Yes I have a husband, yes he helps out….yes he works 6 days a week, yes property will be our retirement plan!) My 3 yr old now understands when we are going to "the building site" as he wasn't even walking when we started.

I'd recommend "Yummy Mummys Survival guide" which I bought because it made reference to Sarah Beeny (Property Ladder on pay tv)

Enjoy! 

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @benjamin-csikos

ha!  I thought you were a guy, Dwolfe.

My bad. :)

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hahaha! Don't worry most people do! I do like building sites, beer and V8's! All part of the fun that is a forum for the invisible.

D

Email Me

Participant
    @benjamin-csikos

So Karen, who should I talk to about getting these family tax benefits? This sounds good… this sounds very good!

@shales

We get our FTB A and B retrospectively when we lodge a tax return.  Your accountant should be able to tell you what to do.  Alternatively you can call the Family Assistance Office and register on the phone.  They might send you a form.  If you want to get the money fortnightly, you have to estimate your earnings.  Underestimate and they may overpay you and you may have to pay it back – which I hate the thought of, which is why I claim retrospectively.  It often means I get a $4K refund cheque. 

Also, I agree with what Karen says, parenting advice comes thick and fast.  Some of it's good, some not so good, some hilariously wrong – trust your instincts, and your wifes – they are the best guide you have.

Yes, SAHM's rock!  We should have a property investing SAHM's club!  I also run our business, which includes operating a liveweight cattle scale at a saleyard.  I've got an employee there now, but when we took the contract on last year, 1 week after I had Harry, I was piling all three kids – newborn included, in the car at 6.30 am to weigh cattle for an hour or so about 3 times a week.  I had toys and a baby rocker and colouring pens and paper in the scale office, and a box of food.  The kids loved it and would get up at 6.00 and ask me "Are we going to the scales this morning" – even my 2 year old daughter would say it.  I would weigh cattle (just operating a computer really) while breastfeeding and umpiring fights between the 4 year old and the 2 year old.  Man I'm glad I've got an employee in there now!  Now I've just got to run the office which is at home, and which I descend upon when I get babies to sleep. 

S

Participant
    @benjamin-csikos

Well,   there's certainly power in unity.  And you said a SAHM property investing club?  Now there's an idea.

Try this idea on for size.  Let's just say we all got the idea that we wanted to buy a dual occupancy house (much easier to get cashflow positive that way). Get it built from scratch by a builder in a good area that has potential for growth.

What if we all got together, found a street that was newly developed, all picked a block each, and then went to the builder with our designs and said "Hey… we want the whole street, and we want 5 houses built side by side. Give us a bulk deal."  Everyone is separately owning their own block, but because we happened to stroll in all at the same time and save building costs… we all get it cheaper.

Does anyone else like this idea? Start a syndicate?

Participant
    @dwolfe

Ahh Ben…….Stay a home mums……..we'd let your wife in…..lol! Just kidding, you have a LOT of enthusiasm don't lose it!

I think I'd rather be the builder then I can make the money.

D

Email Me

Participant
    @benjamin-csikos
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Anyone can build! All you need is money and a phone. Probably a permit and some land would be useful….. I should clarify, I would  like to be the developer and oversee the builder.

lol

D

Email Me

Participant
    @benjamin-csikos

Doesn't really sound that hard, does it.

So… why are we all just sitting here?

Participant
    @dwolfe
    @shales

Mmm.  Admire your enthusiasm, Ben.  I was more talking about sharing stories about chatting to an RE on the phone while wiping a three year olds bum.  Juggling your latest excel spreadsheet with playdough.  Retrieving the property section of the newspaper, and because your toddler wants to copy everything you do, handing them the cars section so they can pour over that (or eat it if they are 12 months or younger) while you sip a home made cappucinno and try to feel like a real property investor.  Turning to propertyinvesting.com for intelligent conversation with like minded individuals – cause you just need a little break from "when people die do their legs go with them?" "Why?".  Explaining to your bank manager that you ARE skilled. 

Sharing stories about the unique challenges and opportunities presented to MONEY MUMMIES.

We could just start with our own thread, not a subdivision, or a street of new buildings.

S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.