All Topics / Value Adding / Can anything be done with a 10m wide block other than building a single dwelling? Likely R40 to R60 zoning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of nelly074nelly074
    @nelly074

We have just found out that the block on which we were set to build our dream home has been caught up in the redevlopment of the general area and is likely to be zoned R40 or R60 in the next few years, with a max height of up to 5 stories.  We no longer want to build the "dream" home on it, because behind us will be a development of potentially up to 10 stories! So we are considering whether there are any other options available to us and wondering whether it is technically feasible to build 2 or 3 townhouses on a 10m wide block, or is 10m just too narrow to do anything useful?  The block is 10m wide x 55 m long. Any help would be appreciated – we are in a tail spin at the moment, watching our land conceivably lose bucket loads of value!  The houses on either side are brand new, so no possibility of developing with them.

Profile photo of RHPlanningRHPlanning
    @rhplanning

You have to look at the options. R60 = 180sqm average lot size, so you could potentially develop three dwellings, however there are design limitations (such as the frontage width as you mentioned) and it would probably result in a multiple dwelling scenario to achieve this… you may make money on this or you may not depending on the building costs versus the potential return.

If it was me, I would continue to build what you were intending to build, you will still prosper despite the proposed increases in residential density.

Ryan

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Plenty can be done with a 10m wide allotment!

Get in touch with a planner or architect and assess your options.
    Ryan seems to know his stuff, maybe he can help?

Profile photo of Steph87Steph87
    @steph87

Hi There, I know this is a very old post but with the new R60 coding laws just passed in WA. Would it be possible to build 2x 2 storey townhouses side by side on a 12.5m frontage x 20m? That would mean they would be 6mx20m each but 2 stories.

I am not 100% sure on the R60 zoning but I think it is now 150m2 block average and 120m2 minimum?

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Property ExtremeProperty Extreme
    @property-extreme

Have you thought about putting a granny flat on it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.