All Topics / Help Needed! / Floorboards in apartment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Hey All,

My apartment is on the first floor (people live below us) and I am wanting to put in Bamboo floorboards.

I currently live in a different residence and live below folks who have floorboards and understand the noise that can occur.

I did the right thing and requested permission from my body corporate to install them and told them I would take the following precautions to ensure I do not disturb the folks below:

1. Installing the thickest and most noise absorbent underlay below the floors (I have not provided ratings, but can get them easily)
    2. Purchasing rugs for the main walkways to reduce impact (including future tenants)
    3. Ensuring heels etc. are not worn inside the apartment by both my partner currently living with me and future tenants or guests

The committee responded that they have “concerns regarding the possible noise issue which could occur if the installation takes place.”

It was explained to the committee that I would take all possible measures to ensure no excess noise would be created and I would install the best possible underlay in order to reduce any noise, but the committee have not granted approval for the installation.

I have gotten quotes for the work and am paying an extra $750 to get the acoustic underlay (the standard one is very thin). I’m really quite annoyed because my precautions, the noise below would be minimal if at anything at all.

I was hoping for any sort of advice on what I can do to get this through.

Thank you :)

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi dj_siek

Good on you for finding out the best means of minimising the noise.

I am a person who both owns property, and has rented in several different kinds of apartment buildings, so I have an understanding from both sides of the fence.  Try to remember that all that separates one person from their neighbours in an apartment building is a floor, ceiling or wall. 

Your  neighbours are going to hear some of your conversations.  They are going to hear your food processor when you are having a healthy early morning breakfast on Sunday when they are trying to sleep in.  They are going to hear some of your tv or stereo when they are wanting to get lost in watching their own choice of film for the evening.  Depending on the nature of the plumbing, they may hear every toilet flush in the middle of the night, or their walls might vibrate when your washing machine is on spin cycle.  Apartment living is stressful enough in terms of noise, without adding to it with floorboards.  While you might be doing all you can to minimise the noise, ask yourself if there will be any noise at all.  If you are honest with yourself, the likely answer is yes.  And it doesn't matter whether the people are awake just trying to have a peaceful conversation or trying to sleep while you are walking around on your floorboards.  It's tough enough living in such close quarters with others.  Why would you add to the tensions that will already exist in apartment life?  There's a reason floorboards aren't welcomed in apartment buildings.  Sorry matie, can't  say I support your desire to install them.

jac

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Hello Jac,

I am a very light sleeper myself, and have been living in apartments for the last 3 years.

The guy above us is quite annoying – he is just not considerate. We only hear the occasional thud when he drops his boots on the floor after coming at 5am sat morning which he does every week and sometimes music when he has a party.

I totally understand what you mean and have experienced it myself … (as I said the people above our current place have floorboards) – we had to ask them to stop wearing high heels… again they just didn’t think.

I am putting a rubber acoustic underlay below these floorboards to stop the noise most people would just put in the standard foam underlay, but yes they may hear us drop something, but that is no different to the current situation.

We do not wear shoes in our apartment, so they won’t hear us walking around and we will be putting in nice rugs in the main walkway. And any future tentants we have, our lease will include a clause to ensure heels are not worn and rugs are put down…

I’d be very surprised if we disturbed them with the floorboards. Floorboards will create noise if they are not installed with an underlay and the people living there do not think about what they are doing i.e wear high heels…

We have never had any complaints from the folks below us e in our apartment..

anyway I am after advice on what I can do to get this through.. I am not selfish and am certainly considering the people below. Otherwise I would have just installed it without permission.

Cheers

Profile photo of TroodygTroodyg
    @troodyg

I Know it dosent help to get your floorboards however there are some very good vinyls out there now that look as suave as floorboards- vinyls have come a long way.  might make life a little easier than arguing with body corporates which from my experience can be very painful and frustrating

@dj_siek

ahh ok could consider that if I totally get rejected.

I am guessing that laminate floors are just as bad as wooden floors..

Participant
    @jacm

My parents have lino which looks like floorboards.  It looks great, feels great underfoot, and gives the house a peaceful feel (because you can't hear everybody's footsteps ;-) )  If you're planning to cover your floorboards with rugs anyway, there probably isn't much difference, aesthetically, of whether the flooring that pops out under the edges is floorboards or lino.

Something to keep in mind is that if you ever do rent the property out, you might have a terrible time getting your tenants to step quietly on the floorboards.  Who could be bothered receiving constant complaints from the body corporate about your own tenants being noisy.  Too much hassle.  Carpet or Lino I say

Email Me | Phone Me

@dj_siek

hey there,

great point thanks Jac.

You’re right tho, about the tenants. My current tenants are great and I’m confident I can weed out the baddies, famous last words hehe.

I was looking at laminate – do u know if this would be the same result in noise compared to wooden floorboards??

Cheers

Participant
    @jacm

Another argument against floorboards is this:  not sure if there is an apartment above yours or not.  However imagine if the upstairs apartment had some plumbing trouble and it leaked down to your place.  I am guessing your lovely floorboards would rot quite quickly?  Lino is a plastic I think?  I'd imagine that would mean it would hold up much better under such a situation.  I have a feeling linos and carpets would also be easier and cheaper to replace, whether it be entirely, or just a section of if.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.