All Topics / Finance / Finance for block of 3-4 units

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of traceyimbtraceyimb
    Participant
    @traceyimb

Hi Richard,

I think you have misunderstood my post but no harm done.  I don't want to have a disagreement.  I didn't say it's impossible to do 6 units.  I was replying directly to the original post to let them know it is possible to do the 4 units at 80% LVR at resi rates with Commbank.  Just trying to help a fellow investor who may need help  :)

Kind Regards,
    Tracey

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Thanks for your input tracey.
    But….. is the lending rate at resi or commercial or semi-commercial/resi rates?

I was being told it is almost impossible to get resi rates if more than 3-4 units through the big 4?
    They have recently changed the lending policy??

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Tracey ok noted.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @qlds007

GOM Yes you are right it is impossible thru the Big 5.

Profile photo of traceyimbtraceyimb
    Participant
    @traceyimb

Hi GOM,

Thanks for the question. Yes, It is possible. I have contacted the bank and double checked this prior to making this post by way of requesting a question answer format which I am pasting below.  I have asked questions which I think will cover what most people would want to know.

The bank's reply is in red.  I have not changed the wording at all these are the exact answers.  You can email me directly if you have any questions.  I am an investor too and a licensed finance broker working with investors for 8 years, this is fair dinkum.  I hope this information helps you or other investors thinking about purchasing a small block of units to acheive your goal (and get a better return).

1. Will Commonwealth Bank fund an 80% LVR full doc loan on purchase of 4 established units on a single title which is 100% of development? Yes (established only, no construction).

2. Will Commonwealth Bank fund an 80% LVR full doc loan on purchase of 4 established units which are strata titled which is 100% of development? Yes (again, established only, no construction)

3. Will Commonwealth Band fund an 80% LVR full doc loan on purchase of 6 units which are strata titled with is no more than 25% of the development? Yes.

4. Is 6 units the maximum amount of units that Commonwealth Bank will fund in a single development? Typically Yes, but we will consider more than 6 (as long as they’re not more than 25% of the total development) on a case by case basis.

5. Is this available in personal names, companies and trusts? Available for Personal, Company and Discretionary & Unit Trusts. (No Hybrid Trusts)

6. Is this a residential investment loan at the residential investment rates? Yes.

7. Is 80% LVR available for metro, country and inner city?
    Metro and Country is fine, Inner city will depend on the type of unit (ie: Student accommodation is only 70%, Serviced Apartments may be as low as 50% depending on the Leasing Agreement)

8. What is the max loan size available for this purchase? (without going to LMI) 80%. There is no $$ limit.

Please note:  This is the lending policy today, in the future it can change.  Anytime you are considering a purchase like this get your broker to run the scenario past a few lenders so they can get the updated policy.  The banks change the rules all the time.

Best Wishes,
    Tracey

Profile photo of BuilderbhaiBuilderbhai
    Participant
    @builderbhai

Hi Guys,

We've got 2100 sq mtr block of land with an existing 5 bedroom house.

Council has approved construction of six units on the block.

Obviously we'll have issues with financing the construction.

Our solution is to sub-divide the property and will seek refinance from three lenders for say 2 property each. That way they consider it as residential contruction and the land value will form part of our equity. The refinance will be at 80% of land value and then we seek the money for construction. We expect we'll have excess cash, if we manage to get 80% finance.

When we refinance for each lot, the existing financier will partially release the existing title.

The above strategy was formed after reading through the various posts and talking with the bank.

Do you guys think this approach is practical? Is there something else that we should be aware of? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Doesn't this effectively solve the multi-unit construction finance problem?

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Participant
    @qlds007

How are you going to subdivide the land into separate Title when I assume the units are strata title and will all be part of the 1 Development.

Council is not going to approve a subdividable lot until completion of the building.

Hate to say if you Bank recommended this then they have absolutely NO idea.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hmmm,

Are you going to subdivide the property just by having a building envelope created and then build after? I'm going with what Richard says if you have been approved for specific dwellings.What happens if you can only get finance on 2 and then one of the other lenders pulls out? I think you will have a real fight on you hands with this one. Why don't you see if you can get some other finance for the 35% you will have to come up with (such as JV/money partner) and just go down the commercial fiance route. You will have figured finance costs in anyway with contingency. Let me know if you are successful with this as it does think outside the square, if does work it opens up a whole new way to get money for new builds.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @builderbhai

Hi Richard,

No..the bank didn't recommend this. Its just we are trying to put the puzzle together to resolve the challenge in financing.

Isn't our going to be a Community title rather than Strata title. Since each house on property is independant and they have common area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strata_title
    "Community title subdivisions are not dependant upon buildings. They involve normal survey techniques and can be completed and approved once access roads and services are in place. However, it is common for buildings to be completed on the various lots before the subdivision is undertaken."

Don't the big land developers follow the same principle, when they sell house & land package. Even theirs is big block on a single title which they sub-divide and sell to us after developing the common areas. And the banks happily finance it…

Why should ours be different……Richard, please excuse my ignorance if I sound gibberish…just trying hard to make it happen..

Dwolfe…I was told by a draftsman that we can get provisional sub-division even before building the house. But not sure whether that provisional title is good enough to get refinance…

Cheers

Participant
    @qlds007

Community Title is fairly common.

Sorry i just assumed your Bank had indicated this was a solution after

The above strategy was formed after reading through the various posts and talking with the bank.

I go back to my original question does the DA allow for the lot to be subdivided as it and not require the construction of the individual dwellings.

Hate to say land development is not the same as the DA Terms and conditions do not require construction.

Participant
    @builderbhai

Hi Richard,

I rang our Architect/draftsman to double check whether individual title will be issued before construction. He said definately "yes"..

So it looks like its quite possible. Will only know the reality once we actually walk the path.

So assuming we have individual titles for the six lots and the one existing house, is the idea of getting refinance from three banks feasible in your opinion?

Thanks for your help.

Participant
    @qlds007

Assuming they are no common walls and serviceability is sufficient to cover all 7 properties.

Must admit in 15 years of doing developments i cant say i have ever seen a DA approval on a community or strata title block that has ever allowed separate titles from day 1 without the need to have them complete.

Participant
    @builderbhai

Wow! that makes me nervous.

We are novice in the trade. Hence have to rely on people's expertise.

Will post it in the forum, the results of our efforts to obtain invidual title. I guess its going to take 3-4 months to get the sub-division approved.

Thanks for the help.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah I'm with the surprised part too.

Supposedly you can undertake subdivision at any time, but title sub division (strata and the like) can only be done once the buildings are complete. We are up to this stage with our three and supposedly we could have started the subdivision process right at the start but were not told this. More time wasting. Two different subdivisions, two different steps, land and title.

But if you have a letter from the surveyor etc that the subdivision process will be completed (in full) then supposedly the lender will accept this. There is a lot of supposedlys and maybes in this. The letter we will be using to borrow more funds for a new project not for construction so I would really check this out to the letter. You do not want to be stuck with an empty site and no money to build.

Once again wow. Keep us posted with this.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of williamparkarwilliamparkar
    @williamparkar

Really helpful thread thanks for sharing with us….

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.