All Topics / Help Needed! / Good or bad deal???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of financial_freedomfinancial_freedom
    @financial_freedom

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some advice and info. I am currently renting a 2 bedroom townhouse paying $320 rent pw. I live in Lurnea in western sydney. Now these t/houses were originally all owned by housing department and in our block there are about 4 left to be auctioned off. The last auction was for a villa at the front of the block with 2bedrooms, bathroom, single garage etc and sold for $210 000. It has been put up for rent at $300 rent pw.

The strata in this block is $300 quarter.

The t/houses now left for sale are 2bedrooms and bathrom upstairs.  Living, separate  dining area, kitchen, laundry, single garage and small garden downstairs.

My question is this. Am i better off buying one of these instead of renting for $320 pw?

The agent believes they will sell for between $210 000 and $230 000. I have gotten a pre approval for a $220 000 loan with weekly repayments being $305.

Ofcourse i wont need a loan of 220 as i will be paying a 10% deposit, so with my loan and strata costs i will be paying similar to my rent??

Am i missing something?? or is this a good deal???

I understand that capital growth in the area isnt too good but rents are crazy in liverpool and surrounding suburbs, so wont it be worth it in long run???

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lina

Profile photo of lachinovlachinov
    @lachinov

Hi linda…you know im no expert in property investment and home buying as i made a massive mistake buying a place in the city. But recently ive become more savvy in my investment decisions as i paid a massive price. Near my house there are some gorgeous new houses being built which will be sold in 13 different stages in the future. The land was bought by government and private builders and they decided that a portion of it will remain housing commission. So i asked around and came to the realisation that these places that are nice and are worth about 360 brand new …is it me or is this just too good to be true. AFter a little inquiry i realised that the area is not that great and just near those new houses there are still alot of housing commissions which i do not wish to say that all people renting such houses are junkies, but there are always risks of having neighbours like that. In fact my brother read on the net that in that area alone, there was one house owned by an elderly where the house was robbed 20 times. The robbers often waited so that the old lady would get her insurance to replace her stuff with new ones and would re-rob her. I dont want to put you off, but do your homework bec you know what they say, when something is too good to be true, it usually is…and so when the price is so low, there is a catch….make sure you investigate crime rates around the area and reputation of the area as if you ever decide to get out of that mortgage, you might be forced to sell for less bec the area has been devalued due to it being labelled unsafe. anyhow, thats all i can say. im def no expert but learnt my lesson over the past 4 years….dont listen to agents fast, they just want your money and will tell you anything to sell something to you bec they make money out of you. if you show that you are ahead of them, they step back abit…and dont rush into buying..there is always property to buy even though people make it sound like there isnt and when people think there isnt they go rush buying and thats whats pushing prices up so high.

Profile photo of financial_freedomfinancial_freedom
    @financial_freedom

Thanks for ur advice lachinov.

The reason i started renting here was to see how the area and neighbours are. I have been renting here for about 10months now and havent had any problems so far.  The upside is that all the t/houses in the block are being sold not just some. Housing are also selling the other t/houses that they own in the next street. I understand the concern that usually junkies are associated with people living in homes provided by housing. Since i have lived here 10months and found it fine is that a good thing??? Its 6min walk to the primary school, 2mins to the t-way bus service. 2min drive to the centre of liverpool. My plan would be to try to down pay it or save up to buy another home and rent this one out in the future….

any thoughts??

Profile photo of lachinovlachinov
    @lachinov

i think what you have to look at is if you buy now, how much would it go up…would  it sell well and how much rent could you get for it. why buy 2 things and be stuck with 2 mortgages..i dont understand that concept bec when you buy a place for yourself, then rent the 2nd property you are paying 2 mortgages and if one investment is not that great then you are wasting your money where you could be pouring all your energy into paying off your own place quicker. i think people are made to believe they will always make money in investments. thats simply bull bec i learnt that either way, your income will never go up as much as your costs in everything in life today and if an investment is not bringing back at least 6% , its not a good investment. id still rent and buy something abit later with a healthier saving, with no strata fees and coucil rates…

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Lina, If you are happy there and know the area then i can't see why it would be a bad investment, you at least have a feel for the area which you may not have if you are looking elxewhere to buy. if you do buy set your loan up with an offest account and have all of your income go into this account. if in the future you choose to buy elsewhere and have this property as an IP then you can use the money in the offset account as a deposit. Utilisie the free service offered on this forum to get an up to date valuation on the property, so you know aht would be a fair price. Make sure that you do all the normal due diligence such as pest and building inspections, investigating the financial position of the strata acoounts etc. Also it is a good idea to be on the strata management committee so you are aware of any financial and building management decisions that are being made.

Cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Its going to be cheaper than renting and you will get to own the place and get all the future capital growth. Rents will also increase year by year so the benefits will increase as time goes on.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of financial_freedomfinancial_freedom
    @financial_freedom

Thank you for your help and comments everyone.

I will let everyone know how i go and what i decide to do.

Lina

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.