All Topics / Help Needed! / Such a steeply sloping land…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • yssn
    Participant
    @yssn

Hi All,

We're looking for a land to build own home, and recently found a steeply sloping land in Sydney hill's area.

Certainly, a pole house (kit home) is the only solution. Now we have following concerns:

1) The block is very steep! I assumed it could be around 40degrees. We want to minimize the cost by choosing single storey kit home. QUESTION: Is it possible?? From the draft sketched by myself, the fist pole could be 6 metres!!! Is this allowed by council? Or a mission impossible…

2) Real estate agent provides another option of double storey…  Just add a undercrofts below (see the dotted line behind the poles). We don't like it…..  It costs too much.

3) Probably, a split level home is more realistic. But does anyone know the cost of split level kit home? Is it in between single storey and double storey??

Please feel free to contribute your ideas!!  Thanks a loooooot!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Absolute b*&)^%* of a block, below grade (how do you get rid of stormwater/sewerage). Construction cost will be horrendous (looking at prestige house price for a basic home unless you get a really switched on engineer.

I'd steer clear unless you have deep pockets (or it is waterfront).

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

Just awful.    Cuts out a whole lot of future buyers in the case of re-sale too.    Many people don't buy houses which are below the level of the road. 

yssn
    Participant
    @yssn

Thanks for everyone's suggestion. We understand the difficulties…

This is why we decided to choose kit home (not brick). Things we want to know is just the construction cost!

btw,  I've slightly modified the picture. I think the house can be located at street level.

Anyway, I'll go and ask kit home seller today, and possiblely speak to the builder.

will update you shortly.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I know of a person who had built a home like this in the late 80's and used old wooden power poles he had acquired from somewhere that I can't remember.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Here's my answer as we are building in Warrawee …

A friend of mine on the North Shore raves on about large lots and how the valuers value properties on large land …

I disagree … Because of exactly what you are doing … it should be caculated on USEABLE land …

My friend lives in 1200 m/2 on a 45 degree slope — the house is a project home 48 squares (nice) but the drive way and extra building cost and retaining walls cost an extra 150K

The front of the house land is wasted space and the rear yard cannot be seen from inside the house because they had to raise the back up 3 meters for the slab … can't see the pool either …

Now get this we bought as a knock down rebuild in the very next street to them a golden oldie on 904 m/2 dead flat and square … all usable land and the council said we can get a 40 square home on it … no retaining walls or sloped driveways …

Where will your kids play ??

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

In the traffic?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.