All Topics / General Property / House Prices Increasing House Sizes Decreasing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

There seems to be a lot of talk about some price increases lately especially in Victoria but can I share some thoughts with you for discussions … I am in fact writing a report for a bank so I will use some extracts for your consideration.

Firstly I am noticing that the low end of the real estate market eg: new H&L estates in outer suburbs of our CBDs have infact increased in price … HOWEVER …

Valuers value property on many facets but of the most is LAND SIZE … Mum and Dad lived on a quarter acre lot, if you are a gen Y that is about 1000 m/2 … lot sizes now on new estates are down to 350 m/2  (the great Australian dream is shrinking)

2 Years ago lot sizes were down to 650 m/2 and people complained … so the first thought provoking questing I have put to the bank is … How do you calculate true value …

The other concerning factor is the HOUSE SIZE … 4 bedroom + DLUG … reads and sounds good ???? however we tested a few … in one display home in Victoria we parked 2 holden commodores in the garage and couldn't get out of the cars … the salesman answer was … wait for it … the average Australian car is smaller than what it was 5 years ago …

Have you noticed why so many builders and marketing companies don't write the dimensions in the floor plans any more ?????

Have you ever wondered how you can get 2 adults and 2 children into the kitchen, dinning and lounge area all at the same time in these new homes, don't turn on the television what ever you do …  or invite people over for a BBQ.

Summary: Yes prices are going up but at what COST … smaller houses on postage stamps … my friend a solicitor has a saying "tomorrows slums today"

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

I like this topic! And I look forward to seeing the comments.
    The issue seems to be twofold from what I see and hear:

1. The perception that there is a great demand for 4 br+ houses, as in "I don't really need that many bedrooms, but I'm doing it for re-sale". This is a mistake in terms of our changing demographics. The demand is for smaller houses for smaller families that consider the environmental as well as financial costs.
    2. Design and the "not so big house". American author Sarah Susanka has made her own little industry out of this! It seems to me that in order to control urban sprawl (which I personally believe is important) we need to be building smaller, smarter, more livable houses. We may in some cases also need to get over the "good room" thing – you know, the room that only gets used for guests? When in fact, we entertain casually so the "good room doesn't get used at all! 

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I wouldn't say smaller houses W4L, all the info that I see is indicates that house size has been growing (regardless of block size). In the 1980's it was 4th bedrooms. 1990's 3 car garages and 2000's the media room. Over that period, block size has decreased from 600-720m2 down to 450-500m2 becoming more common. 14 or more lots / ha.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

Scott is correct, there was an article published recently that stated Australia had the largest average house size in the world, even larger than the yanks.

In our parents day they didn’t have 300 sqm homes as a first home, with a home theatre, spa bath, ensuite etc. They had a large block with a small house.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of talk about some price increases lately especially in Victoria but can I share some thoughts with you for discussions … I am in fact writing a report for a bank so I will use some extracts for your consideration.

Firstly I am noticing that the low end of the real estate market eg: new H&L estates in outer suburbs of our CBDs have infact increased in price … HOWEVER …

Valuers value property on many facets but of the most is LAND SIZE … Mum and Dad lived on a quarter acre lot, if you are a gen Y that is about 1000 m/2 … lot sizes now on new estates are down to 350 m/2  (the great Australian dream is shrinking)

2 Years ago lot sizes were down to 650 m/2 and people complained … so the first thought provoking questing I have put to the bank is … How do you calculate true value …

The other concerning factor is the HOUSE SIZE … 4 bedroom + DLUG … reads and sounds good ???? however we tested a few … in one display home in Victoria we parked 2 holden commodores in the garage and couldn't get out of the cars … the salesman answer was … wait for it … the average Australian car is smaller than what it was 5 years ago …

Have you noticed why so many builders and marketing companies don't write the dimensions in the floor plans any more ?????

Have you ever wondered how you can get 2 adults and 2 children into the kitchen, dinning and lounge area all at the same time in these new homes, don't turn on the television what ever you do …  or invite people over for a BBQ.

Summary: Yes prices are going up but at what COST … smaller houses on postage stamps … my friend a solicitor has a saying "tomorrows slums today"

I agree. My ppor has 4 beds. Double garage, ensuite 3 living areas. Nice on paper but what makes a house is the space between rooms . New homes don’t have much of this apart from the top end. My 50 year old rental is a three bedder and no garage yet it has the same area. The hallway was advertised as a dining room by the agent. I like this in old homes.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Thanks for the replys,

I wanted to draw attention in this to the bottom end or entry level of the market and not the top end that is IMHO struggling and falling in value … eg: prestige properties in well to do areas like Sydney's Lower and upper North shore.

Two years ago or there abouts a single level 4 bed H&L was on an allotment size of 700 m/2 and up and buyers always were after the bigger lots like the 800 m/2 … I call this the current mindset of the day …

The house also consisted of a separate living room away from the kit, dinning and family area …

Today the separate living room in many cases has gone and the allotment is around 400 m/2 and we are getting a new "mindset" or we are accepting this …

My report to the bank is that lower end new estates are rising in value because of increasing building costs and civil works and council charges while at the same time land and homes are shrinking.

Yes a 50 year old golden oldie was a 3 bedder and on about 950 m/2 – these now are prime properties for knock down or renovators and are located close to CBDs compared to the urban sprawl homes.

On the top end like Hunters Hill peninsular, Mosman, and East of the Pacific hwy on the North Shore in Sydney these properties ( over 1.5 million) are struggling and in fact dropping by over 20% from previous values – that's values not asking prices.

So in summary my point was are these so called rising housing figures false because they are being compared to low end new estates only and not top end houses that are dropping … and the low end estates are 1/3 the land size that was pitched to the market 2/3 years ago eg; over 750 m/2

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

You seem to be confusing house size with land area. House size is increasing.

Here is the article I was referring to.

The real problem that is causing this is the price of land, If you have to pay 400k for a 600 sqm block on the outskirts of Sydney, you might as well build a 300-400 sqm home for 300k, rather than a 150-200 sqm home for 150k. The difference between 550k and 700k is minimal for twice the living space.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/home-truths-australia-trumps-us-when-it-comes-to-mcmansions-20091129-jyva.html

AUSTRALIANS are piling on sitting rooms, family rooms, studies and extra bedrooms at the fastest rate in the world, with the size of our homes overtaking those in the US as the world’s biggest.

The typical size of a new Australian home hit 215 square metres in the past financial year, up 10 per cent in a decade, according to Bureau of Statistics data compiled for Commonwealth Securities.

US figures show the size of new American homes shrinking from 212 square metres before the financial crisis to 202 square metres in September.

New homes in other parts of the world are far smaller, with Denmark the biggest in Europe at 137 square metres and Britain the smallest at 76 square metres.

The figures lend weight to a claim by the deputy governor of the Reserve Bank, Ric Battellino, this month that Australian house prices are high in part because Australian houses are better.

The Reserve is due to meet tomorrow to decide whether to increase interest rates. Almost half of the $250 billion spent on housing each year was on alterations and additions, with one in every seven new houses ”simply replacing existing houses that have been demolished”.

Mr Battellino said Australians had so many holiday houses that the latest census found 8 per cent more dwellings than households.

Sydney houses are by far the nation’s biggest with new free-standing houses typically spanning 263 square metres – providing more than 100 square metres of indoor space per person.

But the high proportion of townhouses and apartments in Sydney pushes the average dwelling size down to 205 square metres, just below the Australian average and about the same as in the US.

”Another way of looking at it is the number of bedrooms,” said a Commonwealth Securities economist, Craig James. ”Around 20 years ago only one in every six homes had four or more bedrooms. By 2006 it was one in every 3.5 homes.

”While the fast pace of population growth points to the need for more and more homes, we are living in the biggest homes in the world. The simple fact is they could be better utilised.”

Mr James is encouraged by a slight increase in the number of Australians living in each home. The average household size has crept up from 2.52 to 2.56 people in 2007-08.

”It may not seem remarkable but it appears to be the first increase in at least a century, and perhaps the first since European settlement.

”It makes sense. Population is rising, as is the cost of housing and the cost of moving house, so we are making greater use of what we’ve got. Children are staying at home longer and more people are opting for shared accommodation. The key question is whether it’s permanent or temporary. If sustained, it will save us building 166,000 homes.”

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

Wealth I get what you are trying to say. Do you think that land values will change and that bank valuations will now change to suit the change of house and land size? Do you think valuers will now start counting more on other parts of a property like newness of build, build quality, really anything other than land size?

Does this mean that rickety old houses on big blocks will be devalued based on the house and not valued up based on the land as the case used to be?
    I see what you are getting at with tiny houses being valued quite highly even though there is no associated yard (maybe small courtyard)

Do you think this will cause the slums or will it give people more of a sense of community? Maybe people grew tired of living in a way that isolated them from others in the community – you go in your box, I'll go in mine.

I think that as land becomes scarcer people will be conditioned to think that a 650sqm block is "a private oasis" or a manor! Look at some of the giant blocks (acreages)  that the really old houses sit on these would have been the norm 100 yrs ago, now population growth has made it so that eventually we will live in each others pockets. Better start getting on with the neighbors better, for when we all have to live in the same house lol!

Can you post bits of your report when done or is it covered by a million confidentiality clauses? Just for interest.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

I have yet to see any guidance notes changing the basis for valuation. Direct comparison  will always necessitate getting back to a land value, the development model too, will always get back to a land value.
    In isolation a parcel of land with the appropriate zoning but too small to meet the requirements of the planning instrument will always be worth less in isolation however once it meets the minimum site criteria (for subdivision or development), then its value will be assessed accordingly.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Yes agreed Wolfe and IPF,

Forget about what we have already and look at what is being introduced now … I have done 3 reports on NEW estates for entry point H&L and the average size lot is around 350 m/2 … These I believe will be problem properties in the future and as a friend of mine says "tomorrows slums today".

Then Wolfe we have the golden oldies in areas like West Sydney St Marys built in the 60 & 70s that I believe are hot property as established areas on large lots over 800 m/2.

Also areas like West Pymble, Turramurra, Warrawee etc that are also great for knock downs or refurds that are close to great shopping and the CBD train line.

If you buy a 4 bed DLUG on 350 m/2 it gives no opportunity for future improvements like pools and extensions to accommodate growing families …

Now that said the reverse is happening for the older generation into 2 bedroom homes in controlled estates like Terrigal Sands type villages … there is also a swing away from large estates like on the North Shore in Sydney where the 65 year olds are selling 2000 m/2 lots and not getting any where near their asking prices … many of these people are moving into 3 bedroom apartments on the North Shore at prices over 1.5 million dollars.

The fact is that the government is concerned about is we have 130,000 (baby Boomers) retiring each year for the next 65 years … by 2030 there will be 3 people working for every retiree down from 6 currently … that is why the Rudd government wants to open the flood gates for immigration big time …  if you travel you will appreciate how different cultures live compared to the "Aussie" culture.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Would you be suggesting a move back to 'granny flats' W4L ie multi-generational housing with grandparents, parents & grandkids in one extended nuclear family household? Krudd is advocating a ponzi scheme for Australia, import young people to pay for older ones forgetting that the young ones too will grow old and will also need to be paid for by future generations.

Profile photo of blue356scblue356sc
    Participant
    @blue356sc

New House & Land estates are on average larger then 350 sqm. You will find that they are closer to 480 sqm.

Each state will differ slightly so my comments are based on Vic only however would think that most states are reasonably similar.

Participant
    @dwolfe

The problem with importing the young people is that they already have families to pay for back in the country of origin. I'm sure that many dollars they earn will be invested in the families they already have not in the oldies here that no one else wants to pay for. Yes I know they will pay tax etc. The other problem I foresee is Mother-in-laws. Multi-generational housing means that people would have to live with theirs.

How would you like to live in retirement Scott? What about you Wealth? Plenty of flash new retirement homes with picture of "older" people drinking wine, and laughing on a tennis court! You could go for the sardine option, developers could build terrace houses again but this time the whole ground floor could be shared living space and people could retire to a "sleeping capsule"! I'm scaring myself here!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @dwolfe

Sorry just thought of a new scheme that could be implemented. First caravan buyers scheme! The grey army could just wander round the country, meaning that the population in some areas would sky rocket, and there may be a slight problem with congestion and the over 70's, but hey! lol!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

DW, the caravan park/mobile home park idea has already been done.

I'd prefer to visit the 'Logans Run' model

Participant
    @dwolfe

"GULP"! So long everyone I've had my fun, I'm off to 'Carousel' in June! Better get some properties now lol. BTW has anyone tried soylent green? I've heard it tastes just like chicken.

D

Email Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.