All Topics / Value Adding / Do you really need a bath?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of SoutherncrosscowboySoutherncrosscowboy
    @southerncrosscowboy

Help settle a little argument for me will you?

With all the environmental changes happening around us (the lack of rain in victoria), would it be a completely bad idea to remove the bath from our small cottage 3Bed/1Bath house in Caroline Springs. The bath is that small that neither myself or wife can actually lie down in the thing and relax.

The house is 12 years old and was a cheap build to start so I wanted to modernize the room with a nice double shower, etc. Obviously the bathroom is small and wont allow both the shower and bath.

The more intelligent half insists that no-one will buy a house with out a bath as “all” babies/kids need baths.
    ME, I say rip it out and renovate without the bath. And get babies and kids to toughen up and take a shower!

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

A bath is generally seen as a necessity for families with small kids, so it does knock out one segment of the market.

Profile photo of Melbourne3000Melbourne3000
    @melbourne3000

Hi, If It will be just yourselves Living In The House then you can go ahead and get rid of The Bath altogether and do what you suggested with a Double Shower.
    However If you are going to Lease This House out or sell The House at a Later stage you need to know that you may be limiting yourselves to prospective Tenants and Future Buyers.

Ask Yourself this question, who Is going to live there?
    Your Family
    OR
    Another Family?

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

Definitely leave it in – a bath, even a small one, is essential for families.   I wouldn't consider a property as an IP without a bath, because as S-N-Mates said, it cuts out families from your market.   

Profile photo of SoutherncrosscowboySoutherncrosscowboy
    @southerncrosscowboy

Thanks for the replies.

I lose this battle!

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I have seen a shower in a holiday house I stayed in that has a deeper base so it acts as a shower but also can act as a shallow bath for young children.
    Don't know where you get a shower like this though.
    Other possiblity is a shower in a bigger bath.

Profile photo of Melbourne3000Melbourne3000
    @melbourne3000

If you had a Large Bathroom you could consider putting a claw foot Bath there and then the only thing that Is permanately fixed is your Waste Pipe and Hot and Cold Taps and spout of course……

Profile photo of vita22vita22
    @vita22

My vote is for no bath!

They are such space and water wasters! Totally agree with Duckster to invest in a deep set shower basin if children are an issue. Otherwise a double shower is a lot more attractive for a working couple and these days more and more people put off having children. Mind you, if you were in Brisbane there would be no debate – apparently every house HAS to have a bath. Council regulations.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

What do people think of baths in ensuites?

I was looking through houses of 30-35 squares, and in the majority of the show homes they had a shower (sometimes a double shower) but no bath. Would you expect one in a home of this size?

Profile photo of chrismurphychrismurphy
    Participant
    @chrismurphy

I think baths are politically incorrect but do people expect them in 2 bathroom rental properties ?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Keep the bath especially in Caroline Springs. Many of your buyers/renters will be families and you will lose a big heap of them. Don't narrow your market.

I am currently reno-ing a property where they took out the bath. The only person renting it is a single guy, it sat on the market for ages cos no one would buy it (yay for me) I will be putting the bath back in. You can always wash clothes in a bath, kids, dogs, a young couple may want a bath (let's not go there) many women like baths. Yes save water, yes save money but this one to me is false economy. And yes the bath may be small but kids are generally small too.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Great question …

In last weekends paper "appartments begin shrinking" Developer Dr Stanley Quek talks about the new one bedroom apartments they are producing from 35 m/2 to 75 m/2.

With building prices rising and sub division costs increasing builders are working out how to keep the prices down by building smaller properties and smarter designs including "pull down beds"

I have been to Korea, China and Japan and Folks they don't have bedrooms in many cases !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently viewed a new subdivision in Victoria and looked at the display homes of a 4 bedroom DLUG house … OMG you have to be kidding !!!!!!!!!

Kitchen Dinning and Lounge all in one area – try putting 2 adults and 2 kids in those houses … these are the WORST investments for GROWTH i have seen for investors …

Oh the bath was more like a bucket it was soooooooo small … Marketing companies are selling these for $380,000.00 and my valuer said he would come in at around $310k … LAND size was …… wait for it …… 326 m/2

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

I have to say this particular area is all planned estate (not saying good or bad). The advertising is set to appeal to young family buyers including couples with babies and small children in the tv advertising and the occasional young professional man for that market. The majority of house are 3 and 4 beds and I have looked at the warehouse styled townhouses for young couples.

I think part of reno-ing the right property, the right way is to look exactly at the market. If you have a one bed or studio you wouldn't expect to see a huge claw foot tub and cabinet etc. In a family house you would expect to see a bath and no it doesn't have to be big enough for a 6 foot bloke but it does need to be there.

I have to say Wealthy, that I think we will hit a wall with these tiny woman in a shoe type houses and the buyers will start to look at other types of property and I think for this reason urban sprawl will still happen especially in Melbourne even though the Govt will try to stop it (so they don't have to pay for infrastructure).   

I still put separate laundry's in ours and a separate bathroom, toilet arrangement. And yes I have baths in mine.

Sorry to hijack this post but the shrinking house size is pretty important to look at.

have a nice sunny day

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.