All Topics / Value Adding / Subdividing on the Gold Coast

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bradmonzbradmonz
    Participant
    @bradmonz

I’m looking to do my first subdivision/reno/redevelopment (yes I’m aiming high, but no guts, no glory – right?) on the Gold Coast and I have a few queries that might be answerable here before I start paying professionals:

1. To help with my search criteria, is there a minimum residential lot size for the whole GC City or does it vary suburb to suburb, property to property, DA to DA, etc?

2. Can anyone recommend a consultant to assist with some or all of the process and for general advise?

3. Anyone interested in mentoring a newbie like me? ;-p

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

Hi Bradmonz

I am unfamiliar with the gold coast council rules but usually it depends on the zoning of the particular block so look into it and check with the local council to do with the zonings,

we look at this types of projects and can help you along the way if you cant find anyone, we are based in WA but can help you with advice if you need it look at http://www.strobagroup.com for more info

Goodluck

Profile photo of dnh83dnh83
    @dnh83

Hi Brad,

I've just started a similar project myself and have to say that if you approach the City Council the right way they are normally more than happy to provide you with the information you need.  Every Council is slightly different, best to talk direct with them.

There will normally be a planning/development section within the council, try and get put through to that department.  Once you've done that, try and talk to someone who deals with the planning and development of the area you're working in.

If they don't feel like being too helpful on the day, the least they'll do is flick you the information you need (just means you'll have to do a fair bit of reading)…All planning and development guidelines exist as public documents, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting your hands on them (figuring out what's relevant to your situation will be the challenge)…

Hope this has helped in getting you started…

Cheers,

Darren

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb
    bradmonz wrote:

I'm looking to do my first subdivision/reno/redevelopment (yes I'm aiming high, but no guts, no glory – right?) on the Gold Coast and I have a few queries that might be answerable here before I start paying professionals: 1. To help with my search criteria, is there a minimum residential lot size for the whole GC City or does it vary suburb to suburb, property to property, DA to DA, etc? 2. Can anyone recommend a consultant to assist with some or all of the process and for general advise? 3. Anyone interested in mentoring a newbie like me? ;-p

Bradmonz, in my experience town planning theory is generic, but town planning practice is specific. You've already got some good advice here, and that is to approach the town planning department of your council. I work in Melbourne, but have also done some work (including a two lot sub-division) in Nth Queensland. In that case, and as is usually the case, the land was within a specific zone that allowed (in principal) a certain density. Local agents can be a good source of zoning information, but they can also be a little "optimistic" so take their opinions as a guide and try to qualify those opinions with the TP department.

Town planning law (and zoning) is usually broken down into very small areas within municipalities (which may alter from say one side of the road to the other!) but is ultimately governed by state planning law.

There seems to be quite a bit of "informal mentoring" done on this forum – I know I get some great information and tips from watching and reading. To paraphrase the Simpsons…."I wish someone gave me good advice like that".

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

hi i have been told minimum size  is as little as 251 sq m here in southport
    tho i think other factors may be relevant
    the local paper had a lot of stuff recently about the council fast tracking simple second dwelling applications on suitable sized blocks
    ( i assume so they dont have to pay for new infastructure out west )
    promising 5 day approval
    ( that may have been the bulletin ,not the council )
    good luck

Profile photo of JeffHomesJeffHomes
    @jeffhomes

Hi Guys,

it all depends on where your property is located and the zoning in the Gold Coast Planning Scheme.

so you will need to talk to a town planner who will have a look at the development potential of your lot and advise you of any issues with the site. eg. zoning, minimum lot size, flooding, protected vegetation….etc

or if you want to save money. talk to a Council town planner and ask them questions about the zoning, and the minimum lot size.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.